Multi-user support

Security example:

With zeta I was able to send all people files, pictures, etc. with the included mail deamon without the user noticing anything. This can be hidden in an application without knowledge (I’m glad that this no longer exists, but it doesn’t mean that something like this could exist again in the future).

Above all, there is a lot of movement in here, constantly new ports from other systems that nobody really controls.

2 Likes

If you think you know what you’re doing with your computer, better stay on Linux. Haiku is indeed meant to be easy to use for everyone who needs a computer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you haven’t noticed it; I hate everything Unix. It is broken by design (and it is intentionally).

2 Likes

I know of a command with dd that removes your system and you only notice it when you restart because it is then no longer found.

Sure,but how does a UAC or sudo password prompt help here if the users doesn’t know what they’re doing and confirms it anyway?

If my son is clicking away on my computer, the password prompt absolutely helps him prevent so something he shouldn’t do.

2 Likes

It is not the password prompt that is preventing anything, it is the fact that he do not have permissions to do it. The prompt is just an annoyance.

That is why I have suggested a really comprehensive permission api for Haiku, way more advanced (but simple to use and understand) than anything currently out there. But the default should be off. If you want to enable it to protect your computer from your son, you will be free to do so. But I do not want my computer “protected” because your son is “clicking away”.

3 Likes

I don’t see a reason to over-complicate things. I’d expect these things from a secure system:

• any process that modifies or writes outside the home directory should require a password
  • applications should be sandboxed and require explicit permission to access user folders
  • users should be free to install sandboxed applications without any password
  • system installation should not be modifiable, even by will, those that wish to do so, should enable a developer mode explicitly
  • whole disk should be encrypted.

Meeting these criteria, I don’t see any problem with the standard Unix permissions system.

4 Likes

You can just place a prepared email in the outgoing folder and mail_daemon will send it without asking anything.
A program can do this, so there is no difference between zeta and haiku in this area.

If a child doesn’t like a picture, video or document, then he or she will simply get bored and look at something else. What might be really going on with a lot of parents is that they want power, because they are lazy and scared of losing face. They don’t want to ever fix a computer problem or teach their children how to do it. They don’t want their children to have any uncomfortable knowledge, because then their children might ask them embarrassing questions, and they might lose face.

This is really a personal problem on the part of the parent, and an area where parents need to self-improve. It’s not a problem that an operating system should try to solve.

3 Likes

You’re generalizing all parents and children because you happen to know some of them.

My son has his own computer, he knows how to use it. I try teaching him all that I know. Sometimes, though, I let him play a game on my computer because mine is just better. I can leave him alone with it because I know he’s unable to screw up my system. That’s the control I want: He will not change anything on my working system, he has his own computer for that.

I don’t know my sons password either, because it’s his computer, not mine.

2 Likes

There are definitely age restrictions that I tend to comply with. My child is not allowed to play games from 12 or higher at 9.

It’s not about one’s own condition and one’s own wishes, but about the fundamentals.

Because I familiarized my son with the PC at an early age (always to an age-appropriate extent and next by Windows on Haiku too), I’m not afraid of him either, but I know other children and parents who are carefree with everyone. In addition, it may be that children, if they are not interested in something, then quickly lose interest in it, but they are very curious by nature.

According to the law, you are obliged to protect your child from what could harm him mentally and physically. The system should be a support and help.

5 Likes

I deleted our family photos archive as a child, I think parents fears are justified.

The principle of least privilige should apply.

6 Likes

I was the only person in family that can use PC until high school graduation. So fortunately I avoided such troubles. I think that PC is personal computer and each person should have its own one and don’t let access others.

Modern PC are compact. If you have no space for some laptops, you probably have bigger problem then just PC count.

3 Likes

That sounds to me more like a backup problem. Permissions can help, but proper backup is the only solution.

An operating system can be designed to allow for both single-user and multi-user without affecting the other.

2 Likes

This model makes sense to me and seems quite reasonable.

I presume you are referring to Fuchsia, which I understand to be successor to Android.

Fuchsia uses this system. So does Genode which - as a newer albeit less mature system - has interesting ideas on system security. I am convinced there is an excellent opportunity for Haiku and Genode to cross pollinate ideas.

As am armchair follower of OS matters it would be handy if somebody more knowledgeable could outline whether this “capability based” model might be applicable to Haiku security without a full-blown multiuser experience. Both Fuchsia and Genode are targeting mobile phones which are almost invariably single user devices.

this is offtopic, but please for god sakes, let your children get into trouble, do dangerous things, fall down and be uncomfortable. If you have such laws to make such things criminally offensive, remove the laws. You are raising a generation of naïve useless people. Stop it.

If you doubt what I am saying, read a lot more on developmental psychology.

Also, a computer is not in anyway responsible for the child. It is a tool, no different than a hammer.

6 Likes

I’ve never tried to program a hammer. Not sure how easy it will be.

3 Likes

I have two sons, and I am about to introduce something else then an iPad for the oldest.

For now it is under full guidance and multiuser is not required. But when they get older they will of course get their own computers, and I think I will choose an OS with multiuser support, just to be able to set up limited and more controllable accounts for the kids. We will as parents guide them, but they will over time be using the computer alone.

My hope is that I will be able to introduce them to Haiku, just as my dad introduced me to C64.

For me this is not just a question about security, but to introduce kids to a safe environment where they can play and later learn - perhaps even code.

But first, before getting developers side tracked. Let them finish R1.

7 Likes