Mozilla Firefox 0.9 rocks

Just wanna get an off-topic topic off my chest…

Since I’ve been using FireFox 0.9 now for a few days, I’d have to say it rocks over 0.8… Note: I mostly use the windows version as my BeOS box is currently out of commission :frowning:

Just wanted to express my joy over this browser, I honestly believe it’s the best browser out there ! (my opinion of course)

As a web designer, I concur… FireFox rocks. I’ve been using it for probably 6 months now, and rarely do I ever have to open up IE to do anything. gg Mozilla.

Well hopefully it will get even better on Haiku. We have some issues, like loading libs, that can be solved in a very good way on BeOS.

I just wish more people used Firefox and stop creating websites that only function under IE. Firefox has made incredible progress and I have watched the filesize for the download be cut in half while usuability and stabilty have increased tenfold. Awesome job, I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us next.

I especially like the “backspace” function in firefox to go back a page which is something that mozilla really lacked and IE has had for ever. :wink:

skyBurn7

I have Mozilla Firefox Stones.

I couldnt get the Rocks version.
;-/

hehe
peter

:wink:

sakki wrote:
Firefox has made incredible progress and I have watched the filesize for the download be cut in half while usuability and stabilty have increased tenfold.

stability in 0.9? Hm. I heard about, and experienced crashes with 0.9! I was able to use Ff0.9 in Windows for a half an hour. After that it crashed and continue like this at every launch! A friend of mine also had problems under Linux.

I have to admit, 0.9 has a some nice things/features above 0.8 but stability isn’t one of them. I’ll stick with 0.8 until the next version comes out.

adioanca wrote:
sakki wrote:
Firefox has made incredible progress and I have watched the filesize for the download be cut in half while usuability and stabilty have increased tenfold.

stability in 0.9? Hm. I heard about, and experienced crashes with 0.9! I was able to use Ff0.9 in Windows for a half an hour. After that it crashed and continue like this at every launch! A friend of mine also had problems under Linux.

I have to admit, 0.9 has a some nice things/features above 0.8 but stability isn’t one of them. I’ll stick with 0.8 until the next version comes out.

Yes, I’ve read many “horror stories” regarding the stability issues with 0.9 in the mozilla forums… but I believe most of this comes from not completely uninstalling 0.8 before installing 0.9 (including the profile) - many of the 0.8 extensions and themes are not compatible with 0.9 as they revamped the inteface for these pretty significantly… therefore an upgrade from one pre-release version to another pre-release version yields problems… I had some problems as well until I uninstalled everything and then manually cleared out the profile… The themes interface is a bit flaky in 0.9 and it is generally recommended that this area be avoided until 1.0 is complete.

Other than that, I find 0.9 to be smaller, faster, and more stable than 0.8.

unfortunatly… FX 0.9 does not rox…

tried to compile it on different machines… always with the same result (see mozilla forums): broken build system and quits to console directly after startup. lots of people have that problem although they cleaned their profile and did all that stuff.

in my eyes a step back. still use 0.8 because that’s stable, compiles and runs.

BTW… why is the ‘Profile’ button not on the entry index page?

EDIT: wazzup with the avatar settings? it does not eat my image although it’s 80x46 and 6k?

Dragonlord wrote:
unfortunatly... FX 0.9 does not rox...

tried to compile it on different machines…

Yes, the build is broken under BeOS. I’ve submitted patches for BeOS that fixes all of them, but it always takes a very long time for Firefox-bugs to go thru for BeOS. (Nobody seems to care).

The reason it won’t run may be different. If you are using the script you may have to use absolute path to launch: /boot/home/[…]/firefox

If you have moved libs around to launch firefox-bin directly it will quit directly if there is no profile for 0.9. This can be avoided if run with the script at least once or download the empty profile I’ve posted on BeBits: http://www.bebits.com/app/2715

I havn’t tried to find your posts in Mozilla forums, but if you post a link to them I might.

There is still the really annoying bug when you go to submit a form under BeOS with Firefox and it doesn’t submit and says “The document does not contain any data.”

that really annoys me :evil:

Sikosis wrote:
There is still the really annoying bug when you go to submit a form under BeOS with Firefox and it doesn't submit and says "The document does not contain any data."

that really annoys me :evil:

I havn’t heard of that before or noticed it myself. How can I test this?

as far as i know this is not a problem of FX i think. i’ve got this one too with mldonkey and i think this is due to a faulty communication. i’m though not sure what exactly is send wrong but i think it’s not FX to blame in this one… hopefully.

EDIT: with the broken build system i refered to my build on linux systems… how it build on beos i’ve no idea… can’t test it unfortunatly.

Ah, ok. How dare you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, I just assumed you where talking about BeOS building…

nah… unfortunatly i can not use beos on my machine right now… TWD (troubles with drivers)

That’s a bummer.

that’s the life… still hope that obos (sorry… for me it’s still obos) is better :wink:

I really like Firefox myself and I’ve been using 0.9 on all my machines except for my Fedora Core 2 box becuase it hasn’t been updated in the repositories. One thing that always bothered me though was how Mozilla and Firefox handle opening new windows such as when you press Ctrl+n. In IE it puts you at the same webpage as the source window and also copies over the stack bethind the back and forward broweser buttons. If this was changed or given as an option I would be one step closer to declairing it my faviorite browser.

get the tabbrowser extention and use the expert settings… there you find all you need to make if a pleasure.