Moving to Bootstrap 5

Good to hear that the upgrade works.
I would still recommend moving to the 4.6.x line soon. The 3.4.x is EOL and has been for 2 years. 4.x is on long term support currently and receives no new features, only fixes.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just created a PR to upgrade to 3.4.X - I will test 4.6.X soon and report back:

1 Like

4.6.X produces the same results as 5.0.X - same issues as well. This is good news because it means we only have to make changes for 4.X and can move to 5.X as well in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for testing!

1 Like

I should also note that one minor difference between 4.X and 5.X that I noticed is that the hyperlinks in 4.X remain as they are currently, but in 5.X they are all underlined by default, even when I am not hovering over them (which is the current behaviour).

Hi all.

Iā€™ve been following this topic and Iā€™d like to help. Iā€™m new to the forum but Iā€™ve known Haiku for some time now. I have a couple of years of experience working professionally in web development using tools and frameworks of all kinds, so I figured I might be able to help.

First of all, Iā€™d like to say that the websiteā€™s code is OK right now and It just works, but thereā€™s an important issue in my opinion that might make upgrading to Bootstrap 4 worth it:

Bootstrap 3 was released in 2013. This makes collaboration a bit more difficult because new developers often start working with at least Bootstrap 4.

Thatā€™s my take on upgrading to Bootstrap 4.
Anyways. Since Iā€™m not proficient in C++ and I have a couple of years of experience in web development, I started working on it. I actually already did the upgrade.

This change is just a suggestion. Something I did because I had the time to do it. So itā€™s ok if itā€™s decided to not upgrade in the end.

There are a couple of changes to the UX:

• I aligned some elements to make the website look a bit more clean
  • The sidebar in blogposts and pages doesnā€™t go below the content, but above it (the CSS classes which were able to do this are no longer in Bootstrap)
  • The style of the navigation bar for mobile devices looks a bit different.
  • The way the sizes are calculated (for responsive behaviour) changed a little with Bootstrap 4. In my opinion, itā€™s more pleasant now.
8 Likes

@hrnf Thanks so much for helping out! I think @leavengoodā€™s had a look at your PR and heā€™s also built a preview version incorporating those changes. Heā€™s also noted that some things are broken in the preview version, so it would be really appreciated if you had a look at those. Thanks again!

1 Like