Mouse won't work and partition problem

The unresponsive Space Bar key during the boot is still puzzling. It is also an annoyance as it prevents entering Safe Mode and its diagnostic capabilities.

Whenever you have the time, it would be great if you could:

Try with a different keyboard (borrowing a friend’s keyboard)? to assess if the issue resides within your current keyboard.

If the same issue is observed with a different keyboard, then it resides within the system - maybe the BIOS. A remote possibility is that the Space Bar key is intercepted by a software component loading ahead of the boot loader. The Space Bar key has a special meaning for Grub and Windows during their initial boot phase (from the code read with the MBR?).

Sorry to all of you helping me out the last few days, but I give up…

What I have seen fom Haiku in a nightly in Virtual Box throws me back to the early 90ies. Just like I experienced with ReactOS, it all “smells too much like” Windows 3.1. Of course, it’s open source and all, with mostly volunteers, both in work and funding, but all the Linux distro’s are too…

My “quest” for a non-linux open source OS ends here for the time being.

I’ll stick with Linux Mint and maybe get back active in the Windows Insiders program…
If you want a modern, open source, OS: try Linux Mint, you’ll be surprised!!

Thanks again and still lots of greetings from Belgium!!

No apologies are needed. The issues and how to go about them have been documented in this discussion and this will likely help others in the future.

I can relate to ReactOS being too much like Windows. Nevertheless, it is the goal of the project to provide a self-contained alternative to Windows. This differs from the Wine project which brings the capability to run Windows applications on another operating system (Linux mostly). Both projects will become more important for users having legacy Win32 based applications and devices and/or not desiring to embark on the Windows 10 train.

On the surface, Haiku appears antiquated and lacks many of the eye-candy features of current desktops. Deep down though, Haiku has capabilities and features not yet efficiently matched by Linux, MacOS X, and Windows. Just one ingredient is missing - a killer application which leverages these capabilities and features and is not easily replicated in Linux, MacOS X, or Windows.

1 Like

I don’t agree on “antiquated”. It looks traditional and maybe even conservative. For a few years after Mac OS X was released there were complaints that we should add more gradients and rounded corners. Then, flat design became a trend, and we got complaints that we should remove gradients and rounded corner.

My conclusion is that we have a good balance in our design, and that it goes through the ages without looking bad. Of course, this is a compromise, we can’t both do this and look trendy at the same time.

5 Likes

I agree. Please keep the UI simple and consistent as it is.
The only improvement that comes to my mind would be integrating something like launchbox into deskbar. So you could first start an application from the applications menu in deskbar and then pin it to the deskbar to be able to start it from there the next time. Hope that makes sense :wink:

1 Like

I’m an happy user of LnLauncher personally. But I agree the current “recent apps” menu is not reachable easily enough to be of any use.

2 Likes

Poor choice of words to describe the impression one gets when booting Haiku for the first time.

Personally, I prefer substance over appearance…

Sorry to read you’re giving up. I really wish you wouldn’t, though. Even if Haiku doesn’t work on one machine, chances are it’ll work with another with one of the Nightly releases. They’ve really gotten a lot better than the Alpha releases.

About Win 3.1… that didn’t even have a taskbar yet and primitive windowing controls. I think it would at least be more ‘fair’ to compare the user interface to Mac OS 8 or Windows 9x/2k. But even then, Haiku is unique. And I admit does need more work to get to being ‘modern’ in terms of feel, but it’s either something you really love… or find old.

At any rate, thanks for trying Haiku and happy Linux-ing. I hope you’ll come back and try Haiku later on if you’re not finding it ready for you yet. Cheers.

3 Likes