Media mention of Haiku - Bryan Lunduke

The main difference between Be Inc and Haiku is Be wanted to achieve the highest performance, whereas Haiku wants to respect the user. But I totally understand this goal, since I hate when MSFT apps steal the window focus (even on Apple platforms)

How do you donate to the web browser and not serenityOS?

… does he know some C++? :wink:

I don’t know, but this is what I read: that some big donations were received with the intent of funding the web browser. I don’t know how Serenity is organized, if the donations are made to some nonprofit or directly to the developer and so on.

In Haiku, Haiku inc is there precisely to isolate donations from choices on the development of the project. They store the donations, and then they redistribute them, trying to give as much freedom as possible to the developer team to make technical decisions. If you want your money to allow you to “control” Haiku, you have to hire your own developer(s) (and then make sure their patches get accepted by the developer team).

No, not at all. This is only for Haiku inc. Haiku inc does not take part in technical decisions, roadmaps, and so on. They just manage the bank account. This was set up this way intentionally to isolate the technical decisions from the donations. So people with a lot of money cannot control the project in this way.

1 Like

One thing I will remark about is that a number of the people who say that Haiku is “getting bloated” are usually ones who don’t use it except every now and again for fun. Well, that’s fine, but the rest of us want to use Haiku to (eventually) do serious work, and so that means implementing a lot of the same things one finds on other OSes. But that can appear “bloated” to people who think of Haiku as some niche fun thing rather than something trying to be a really serious OS that can replace Linux/BSD on the desktop.

7 Likes

That was when they had already put a considerable amount of resources into building their web browser and showed a port to other systems. Besides, Andreas Kling seems to be financed through community donations to do whatever he pleases, and then with the money from the web engine donations, they specifically hired two (?) people who focus on just that.

Anyway, I’d say we can always worry about these issues when we have tons of people with money lining up trying to influence the future of Haiku through donations.

That’s a good point. In other words, monthly update format currently wouldn’t lend itself well to videos. A longer interval means possibly even less work, but also that it’s less suited to the YouTube algorithm.

If it was, say, a 3 or 6 month cycle, these under the hood things could be summed up with statistics like “X improvements to the USB stack, Y to the file system drivers, Z to NetPositive and hardware support improvements for N different devices and we can now boot and use WiFi on K more laptops that didn’t previously work.”

And then a demo of the more visually interesting improvements, then highlight some headline changes (something along the lines of LibreOffice or WINE being available, Webkit2 support in the browser, hardware accelerated graphics, XFS support, working ARM64 boot, CalDAV sync etc.) and show off some new or updated ports.

It’s just a matter of determining a sensible timeframe that encompasses enough user-visible changes to make for a compelling video.

1 Like

If you want to see what it looks like over a ~10 month period, I recently published this summary: 22 ans de Haiku - LinuxFr.org (in French, but I think you can use online translation services to get a good idea). By the way, this is under a creative commons license (By-SA), if anyone thinks it’s worth translating and republishing elsewhere :slight_smile:

I also tried to provide a bit more context on some things, but not all things, because that would be too much work (in previous years I could do it, you can find the previous yearly articles, but this year, I feel there were just way too many things to list, and it was not possible to dive into details for each of them all by myself)

3 Likes

Thanks @PulkoMandy for clarifying this.

Well he made a biblical rpg in qbasic last year. He built an MSAccess database for a library. And he knows C64 asm, I think. So he’s probably a good candidate. I’ll ask him.

1 Like

Whose post are you replying to? You use pronouns without telling who you are talking about.

Nice! Great to see how much the system has moved forward in just a few months. Also thanks for the chance to revive my rather rusty French! :laughing:

I have now listened to Bryan’s “Haiku - What’s going wrong and how to fix it” and I agree with him fully. I and others have ventilated the exact same opinions for years not to deaf ears, but to censorship.

The Haiku project needs to be burned to the ground and replaced.

Why so pure ranting has felt to missed here ?..
Why can’t you use Haiku or not – and vote that way ?
Why do you think if you hit the wall with bare hands that would change on things those discussed since years and the most members here do not share the feelings of the urging peoples you mentioned above as “censored”?

Haiku slowly improves -
BUT

i
it is usable in most cases … even if it is still in Beta status.

More patience – please … less divisioning remarks.

2 Likes

If there were more than a handful of people thinking that, and they were competent enough, or willing to put in the effort, the way is to just fork the code and show everyone how it’s done. Not advocating destroying the decades of hard work - for many almost their live’s work - on something they love.

13 Likes

But why the destruction part? Just go and fork or build your own sandcastle, but do not taint your karma with destruction.

6 Likes

It is utterly hilarious to see some of Bryan’s points demonstrated here! I am laughing right now as I type this. One person here says find a leader, fork the project and get burnt out. Another says burn the Haiku project to the ground. This community needs therapy or an intervention of sorts. Better comedy than a Seinfeld episode and more drama than a Shakespeare play. The more I read the comments the funnier it gets. In the end, who cares… Haiku, I was told, is a “hobbyist OS” and the playground politics that surround this project are entertaining at a minimum.

LOL!

1 Like

Where you see “the community” I only see a couple of users that, from time to time, complains about the same: basically, they do not like that a community driven project do not follows what they believe is the right path.

But I what find particulary interesting is that none of those complains cames from developers. Also, the project have one of the most permissive licenses avilable (MIT): anyone can took the source code and basically whathever they want. But aparently shout and complain is cheaper than get their hands dirty. Again: too many want to be a Leader, but nobody want to do the job.

Here there is something that I miss from the Linux community: any time that they have some disagreement, they put theirs ideas in action an create a new distro. Here, contrary, we only have people doing cheap talk.

7 Likes

It’s what I DON’T miss. The main reason why Linux failed as a desktop system is the proliferation of distros. What a huge waste of effort.
The fact that there is only one Haiku is one of it’s great strengths.

3 Likes

I think we had the usual suspects yank our chain enough for this thread. See you all in the next…

12 Likes