Marketing - Setting up an Official Mastodon server?

Including cats… Yup you’re onto something there!

2 Likes

The grave mistake of Fediverse implementations is tying identity to a particular server, forcing the user to pick a side in the instance war.

In the Haiku spirit, I would not rush for a flawed solution.

3 Likes

you can move your identity between instances already on mastodon and some other platforms. I’m sure some of the remaining limitations will eventually be addressed too since there is nothing preventing it in principle.

Can you also share your identity between instances? So name@foo.org and name@bar.info would be the same identity.

Just like… email? But somehow, for email no one thinks it’s a problem.

Really, it’s just a matter of picking your service provider wisely. Try to find an instance run by some organization with a legal entity beyond it, several people able to administrate it, and so on. Not some teenager running a server in their parent’s basement.

And just to clarify, I’m happy with teenagers doing cool things on the Internet, but that’s just not the right setup for hosting someone else’s social network accounts :slight_smile:

Also, what if the identity wouldn’t include the instance name? Say, you own the handle “coolUser”. Some instance not federated with yours also has someone named “coolUser”. No one can tell who is who. Everyone is confused. Instances are still at war and now someone is impersonating you and no one can tell the difference between the two accounts. Doesn’t seem great to me…

3 Likes

Also, what if the identity wouldn’t include the instance name? Say, you own the handle “coolUser”. Some instance not federated with yours also has someone named “coolUser”. No one can tell who is who. Everyone is confused. Instances are still at war and now someone is impersonating you and no one can tell the difference between the two accounts. Doesn’t seem great to me…

Names might be the same, but the keys are different. So there’s no confusion.

Fully decentralized things like Secure Scuttlebutt actually work this way. But they have a different kinds of problem which Mastodon does not have.

Sounds like a stupid damn mess. Why descend into madness? Who are we expecting to reach in this? Realistically, is this the best way to reach potential developers and users?

Yes. The audience on the Fediverse is tech-leaning, diverse, and often composed of people willing to explore less well-known or non-mainstream technologies. There is no better crowd to promote Haiku towards, especially considering that it is still in beta status.

For a very recent example, YouTuber Action Retro is currently on the Fediverse. After seeing posts from community members about using Haiku, they have started making a series of videos on Haiku including this one encouraging people to try daily-driving it:

3 Likes

Not only that, but the way posts propagate is quite different. On other social network, there is some “magic algorithm” (completely undocumented) that decides what you see or not. The Fediverse does not work that way, not only it is better documented, but also, you just see what is shared by people you follow. And so, small things like Haiku end up having a lot more reach there.

I can tell it from my personal experience: I’ve been on the fediverse for a year and a half now. I have a lot more interactions and 50% more “followers” than I ever had on Twitter for example (after being there for a lot longer). And, more importantly, I do get helpful replies when I ask for help on some technical problems (Haiku related or not) and generally interesting discussions with a lot of people.

Anyways, the Mastodon account for Haiku works fine as it is already. If you don’t like that specific social network, you can run accounts on other networks as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same, honestly. Only been on the Fediverse for less than a quarter of the time I was on Twitter, yet still getting far more interactions with people and followers. Discourse quality is also significantly better too yeah, less noise in general. It’s closer to early Twitter, but with a bit more polish.

But also, people who would willingly use social media ; )

The fediverse isn’t really as much about social media as it is about making different systems interoperate, one fairly popular use case is also Lemmy/Kbin which are reddit-style forum platforms.

My suggestion about installing the ActivityPub plugin on this forum would let people who want to use other fediverse platforms including Mastodon participate in discussions here, let other people on those platforms who are not familiar with Haiku yet become aware of it here and see what’s happening here from there while also letting everyone here keep using this system as they were.