Mail doesn't work (entirely) for me

When I put in my info for POP and SMTP (“pop.west.cox.net” and “smtp.west.cox.net”), I can send Email out, but Haiku gives me an error when trying to receive Email. Yet this info works perfectly in Windows Live Mail (Windows Essentials 2012) and on my iPhone, and MacOS X. Any idea why?

Cox says their settings are “pop.cox.net” and “smtp.cox.net”, but I’ve never had to drop the .west. before and still don’t… at least everywhere else I’ve used it.

I decided to change my info and drop the .west., thinking that might help. No such luck. The error message I’m getting is in a small window and it says: “Error while connecting to server pop.cox.net: Address family not supported by protocol family.”

Hi,

please submit a bug report, with your Haiku revision and architecture.
Thanks!

Well, I was hoping it would be a simpler fix than that, but… “Alrighty, then!” :smiley:

This might help - Any advice to start working on mail_daemon? - it discusses how to kill the mailer_daemon and then run it from a Terminal session - you can then see the output.

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/pop-or-pop3-server-settings.html

pop.cox.net Incoming POP port: 995
smtp.cox.net Use one of the following outgoing SMTP ports:

587 with TLS enabled
465 with SSL enabled and check the authentication box, if available

are these ports enabled?

Where do I go to check to see if those ports are enabled/disabled and change them, if necessary? Obviously sending Email works (so that port is ok), but receiving Email does not. Is there any difference between POP and POP3? Is IMAP the more modern way of sending/receiving Email these days or…?

If you have a router, sing in into the settings of your router and open the ports

So, I have to change my router settings for Haiku, but I don’t have to do a thing to it, port-wise, for any other OS? Something ain’t right with that…

And take this effect?

Make sure you are using port 995, as the default is to use port 110 (without encryption). Ithink you can use pop.cox.net:995 in the mail settings.
Ideally, you could contribute to our mail settings database so this process is automated (for this we need to know the correct settings). Last time I heard, @humdinger was managing this.

Yes. See thread “New or corrected email provider info anyone?”.

I’m hoping that Mail best the attention it deserves before the R1 release. I have been using Mozilla Mail on Haiku until Mail is ready for primetime.

Well we could certainly use some help, for instance by checking the following tickets:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=new&status=reopened&component=^Kits%2FMail+Kit&or&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=^Applications%2FMail&or&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=^Preferences%2FMail&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority