Looks good, nice work guys

Hi all,

I tried the nightly build ISO Haiku on my Thinkpad T500 and it works pretty well.

I did observe kernel panics twice though. The first was when I tried to play a media file that’s on a USB flash drive. I recovered from that by typing “continue”. The second was a FAT filesystem assertion failed error also occurring when I was accessing that drive – no recovery was possible.

Otherwise I am very impressed, especially because I really appreciate the cohesive look and feel. Linux by comparison is so very annoying: the Linux look and feel is never good no matter what settings or window manager I try. Haiku looks good out of the box, no need for fiddling.

In addition, I like how responsive Haiku feels. It also seems to be well organized, similar to OS/X. In many ways I feel that Linux by comparison is a basket case, but I am not the first to complain about Linux (see here http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.html).

So an alternative to Linux is appreciated.

Continuing with feedback…

One minor thing I noticed while playing around was that gcc seems to have K&R as the default flavor rather than ANSI C. Not a big deal.

Lastly and most importantly, my wireless card is ignored. It’s the Intel 5100 AGN. Once wireless is working I will be able to run Haiku continuously and think about porting some of my code to it. Wireless is the deal-maker or deal-breaker. I can live with kernel panics but not without Wifi.

Thanks,
-QX

Hi QX,

did you tried the haiku wifi stack (still under heave development but from what i heard its working for some cards quite well)
You can download (or better build it yourselfe) from here:
http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haiku-wifi

ond osdrawer there are also some more interessintg projectk :slight_smile:

Paradoxon

Both you and the article try to pin problems that aren’t Linux’s to Linux. I think KDE4 (newer releases of course) are great. Gnome is OK too.

That article with the list of “Linux issues” is hopelessly out of date, in most places incorrect and constantly compares oranges to apples. That article along with the audio related ones referenced in that article are commonly used on Slashdot as an excuse to bag Linux for reasons that don’t really exist or are poorly understood by 90% of the Slashdot crowd.

Nevertheless Haiku is squarely aimed at the desktop and will be usable by non-technical users. So far I think that the design decisions made or at least the reasons they were made, were perfectly justified. I have very high hopes. Not being GPL licensed also has its pluses as far as being able to borrow good bits from everywhere goes.

The ATA stack is still a bit immature and USB really needs some work (I wish I had the time and skills!) so these areas might be a bit rough for a few years (and beyond because of stupid proprietary crap!).

You really are right about WiFi - its the biggest deal breaker at the moment particularly with students who have the time, energy and/or reasons to develop Haiku but often only have access to wireless internet. More wireless drivers are being actively ported though.