Looking for new OS

ReactOS definitely needs work and they need to refresh the icon set and get away from the Tango icons. I’m hopeful they can get it done.

1 Like

I don’t see why they wouldn’t get a stable release… on some hardware I tried ReactOS ran much better than Debian with KDE, i suppose it’s just a matter of time to cross the “most machines kinda work” threshold Haiku has passed already

Maybe you had just very much luck.
For me it worked years ago on a old 32bit Dual Core Asus eeePC but no computer I tried it on afterwards (5 or more,some desktops,some laptops) could boot it.
It doesn’t even boot in QEMU here.
They have very much to do to make this a daily-driver.
And considering how long they work at this already,I have few hope for the next 5 years or so.

My last desktop machine would triple fault randomly when using haiku on more than one thread, by this metric Haiku would be unstable. I honestly think it is just a matter of some hardware support, but that won’t improve of course if users only test and then discard the system instead of reporting tickets : D

Booting is a good example, if it fails the OS is unusable, but perhaps this is just a 3line diff away from a mostly working system

1 Like

I admit, my experience with ReactOS is limited, and definitely hasn’t been all bad, but the fact that I’m unable to install some necessary drivers for devices that ReactOS doesn’t have built-in support for is a bit of a turn-off for me personally. At this point I’d say it’s reasonably good in terms of overall functionality, but until the crashing issues are resolved for such essential things as third-party drivers, it’s not something I’d use every day. As another example, if I were doing actual work on my computer, and the system crashed for whatever reason, and I lost data because of that, then of course I’d switch OSes to something that wouldn’t crash nearly as often. ReactOS doesn’t seem to have any issues that cause “random” crashes at the moment, but I think this is still a valid example.

TL;DR: Unless ReactOS gets some serious bug fixes, I probably won’t personally consider it stable.

(This was a bit of a rant, I know, and I’m going decidedly off-topic, so please feel free to split this off into another thread.)

I just discover this Freebsd osx clone, but, it pretend even emulate cocoa and execute osx aplications.

2 Likes

Actually it says on the project page: Open-source Cocoa applications may compile & run with Airyx’s Cocoa runtime (unless they need GNUstep extensions)

and:
Darwin & macOS® binaries will not run on Airyx (yet)

But still looks like a fun project, will definitely check it out, if only out of curiosity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which Debian should I run?

I purchased a Debian KDE USB off of ebay to boot from, but it was defective. My computer didn’t recognize it for some reason. Then I searched on “Debian USB” on ebay and I saw that there is KDE, Cinnamon, MATE, xfce and Gnome.

Not sure which is the best one to run. I just want a secure OS that can run most apps and does not have gov’t spyware built in.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Coming from Windows, I believe KDE might be the best choice as it might be the most familiar. Personally, I cannot get used to KDE though. I either stick with Gnome (which is the default for Debian) or build my own frankenstein hybrid because I can.

Just want to repeat: if you don’t trust the goverment, you should certainly not trust some random person on ebay to deliver a usb boot drive free of spywares. You’re better off downloading the iso and creating your own boot drive.

I’d be careful with regard to buying USB sticks from eBay. It could come with extra unwanted goodies. Instead, download the image from Debian directly and write it to a USB drive or burn to optical media yourself.

9 Likes

I wonder whatever happen to PearOS?

1 Like

Developer got bribed by Apple to take it down and join the Crack OS development team

If you look for another OS for you your are not right here!
This is a Haiku forum promoting the “Haiku” operating system!

Use the search function to find out more about alternative Operating systems out there…

1 Like

Yes, we promote Haiku. This is an off-topic category however and the original poster asked sincerely about Haiku and its capabilities. No harm here.

3 Likes

Yes, I was sincerely considering Haiku, but it seems like there might still be privacy considerations for this OS.

I’m a newbie and I’m fumbling my way through the Linux distro/alternative OS labyrinth. I’m just trying to get away from Windows 10 because it’s clearly spying and I can’t stand Bill Gates. :slight_smile:

I tried installing Debian, but I couldn’t get the wireless to connect. I do have a bootable USB for Manjaro but I saw this site with mixed messaging about whether it has spyware incorporated into it from China via the app store:

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/deepin-privacy-issues/144601/2

The narrator provides a line of code that supposibly stops the Chinese spyware, but who’s to say there’s not other spyware embedded deeper in the OS?

Now I’ve seen another video promoting a distro called POP!_os:

Not sure if this has privacy concerns. I’ll have to dig a little deeper.

1 Like

Pop! is based on Ubuntu. I remember Canonical adding some weird telemetry stuff to Ubuntu, but there’s a definite chance System76 removed a lot of it for their distro.

I wasn’t familiar with the term telemetry so I looked it up on wikipedia. Apparently it stands for remote measuring.

In software, telemetry is used to gather data on the use and performance of applications and application components, e.g. how often certain features are used, measurements of start-up time and processing time, hardware, application crashes, and general usage statistics and/or user behavior. In some cases, very detailed data is reported like individual window metrics, counts of used features, and individual function timings.

In computing, phoning home is a term often used to refer to the behavior of security systems that report network location, , or other such data to another computer.

Phoning home may be useful for the proprietor in tracking a missing or stolen computer. This type of phoning home is frequently used on mobile computers at corporations. It typically involves a software agent which is difficult to detect or remove.) However, there are malicious types of phoning homes such as surreptitious communication between applications or hardware installed at end-user sites and their manufacturers or developers. The traffic may be [encrypted]) to make it difficult or impractical for the end-user to determine what data are being transmitted.

There are many malware applications that can “phone home” to gather and store information about a person’s machine. For example, the Pushdo Trojan() shows the new complexity of modern malware applications and the phoning home capabilities of these systems. Pushdo has 421 executables available to be sent to an infected Windows client.

Surveillance cameras have been reported by security researcher []) to secretly phone home to the manufacturer.

Maybe I could reach out to System76 and see if they removed the telemetry stuff from their distro.

It strikes me as a little odd that in 2021 that there wouldn’t be a common go-to OS that is free of spyware. It seems like this would be a very popular and in-demand tool that would have many uses.