Let's make sure we never have this happen to us

Haiku on Genode goal is to have a more stable kernel and better hardware support. It does not fix any of the security issues: all your apps still run as the same user, you can still trivially write a keylogger or a thing tqat records what’s on screen, etc.

It is also currently only distributed as sourcecode for a library that you have to build yourself and add to an existing Genode installation. I’m not sure that’s a project we should send users to right now, until they have something finished that TuneTracker Systems can use for themselves

2 Likes

Haiku on Genode is a really cool project. Even without the security part, a stable kernel and better hardware support is a great improvement.

However, so far it’s a proof of concept. Open source communities have a habit of recommending proof of concept software to people, when most people want something that works correctly in the present.

1 Like

Did I miss something or why do you think hardware support is better at Genode?
Driver support at Haiku has massively improved since I’ve been following the project,with new Wifi drivers added every few months from both FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
Besides bluetooth and accelerated graphics,there’s no major thing missing.
Does Genode have bluetooth and accelerated graphics?
Do they even have as many wifi drivers as Haiku imported from the BSDs?
I don’t think so.

1 Like

Genode imports Linux drivers:

So yeah, doing this alone does make it have considerably more HW support than Haiku.

Additionally, their porting guide also mentions the ability to import BSD drivers just like Haiku:
https://genode.org/documentation/developer-resources/porting_device_drivers

1 Like

They even have 3D drivers from Linux if I’m not mistaken, which is the biggest blocker for me with Haiku.

1 Like

My point of view is of somebody coming over to Haiku from Apple. I had spent a year on BeOS at the turn of the millennium until my computer was stolen in a break-in (I wonder what happened to my stuff on it? Windows XP had just come out but most computers still Windows 9x so BeOS was hardly worse in that respect!).

Twenty years of Apple later I now view Apple as a maze to escape. Haiku seems an excellent candidate! It’s nostalgic to me and not banal like Linux. Whilst, as an open-source OS it won’t try to to trap me like Mac, there is benefit in knowing there could potentially be a lifeboat in the form of HoG. Not right now, of course, but in the future if for some unforeseeable reason I wanted to leave another platform might be there to run my familiar programmes.

Linux and BSD users know they can jump distro if they do not like what they are currently running. Haiku does not want distros - so HoG might act as a safety valve where people who want to do their own thing can go - thus reducing pressure to fragment Haiku itself.

For these reasons, and whilst not ready for prime time, I see HoG as a selling point both to potential Haiku users and software developers.

I did not even consider that. It seemed intuitive that the software recompiled for a new operating system would benefit from the same privacy that system provided to its other apps.

1 Like

That’s not true. The only thing we require is that people making distributions get permission before using the Haiku name. Distributions are a good way to experiment with things that Haiku doesnot want to or cannot do. And I don’t think a single version of Haiku can ever satisfy all computer users in the world. Distributions would allow to handle this diversity, who would not want that?

7 Likes

I got that gist from my recollection of threads discussing distros. Perhaps the more nuanced sentiment is that we are not ready for them quite yet?

Regardless of technical arguments, I can share my own personal experiences regarding my gestating migration to Haiku. Such a big move requires confidence based on several factors. In my case the increased maturity of Haiku and its software depot is one. Goodwill based on my prior experience on BeOS is another. Whilst HoG is not ready for people like me yet - and if I become happily installed on Haiku I won’t be in a hurry to move - its existence and ongoing development is yet another factor influencing my own migration choice.