Latest System Update Problems

Time for another update:

Since I am at a good spot in my many projects, I decided to update my Haiku laptop, which is a sister install to my Haiku PC [that had the issues since 20231129]…meaning, the systems are exact twins (pertaining to software installed). The previous update that I performed on the laptop was sometime in mid-October [due to projects in ZetaOS & Windows kept me busy].

I checked the functionality of the following software: Ark, Calibre, OpeShot, Picard, RawTherapee, and Web prior to the cumulative updates that would happen since these had issues in my Haiku PC. Once these updates were installed–then both the laptop and PC would be in sync. I tested the software after the updates were applied: Ark, RawTherapee, and Web do not function–just like in my Haiku PC.

So overall, the problems have been duplicated in both environments. I opened tickets for the three issues and placed the crash reports in their respective tickets.

Ark does not recognize compressed file or crashes when to create one #9843

Web crashes after recent updates #9844

RawTherapee crashes on startup… #9845

You can just reinstall old packagaes from the state directories… which you just deleted .-.

Ahh…I copied them to a temp directory; afterwards, I reinstalled them, which Pkgman made further removals.
I attempted to use Web–same problem. Though, I did get original three to work: Calibre, OpenShot, and Picard.
Then I reversed the work to bring back into currency.

Since my laptop is now in sync with my PC and its State directory has all 6 weeks worth of changes/updates, I could restore those and that will bring me back to pre-QT updates where my PC was fully functoinal.

Hmmm…I will try that next…

Did a new/clean install in VMware for R1B4 64bit (iso download from the homepage).
Installed RawTherapee with HaikuDepot (which installed all and newer items), after reboot the first error was for libstdc++ (gcc11/gcc13), did a “pkgman full-sync” which updated the system to the latest states, after reboot RawTherapee just works, no crashes, did the same for epiphany, that works too. :confused:

Replied to the issues at haikuports with the list containing the packages after installing both RawTherapee and epiphany, compared the list on another laptop where both are crashing, from the installed packages I can’t seem to find the differences :confused:

EDIT: sidenote both of these packages “don’t” envolve any Qt version, so the updates there shouldn’t cause any problems?

Simple enough…I will try the “pkgman full-sync” as you did. Hoping it will resolve it.

Note that on my daily system (where the system is uptodate, even has quit a lot of packages not available in the depot) both are still crashing …

I performed the “pkgman full-sync”:

~> pkgman full-sync
100% repochecksum-1 [65 bytes]
Validating checksum for BeSly Software Solutions…done.
Validating checksum for FatElk_64…done.
Validating checksum for Haiku…done.
100% repocache-2 [2.38 KiB]
Validating checksum for Haiku…done.
100% repochecksum-1 [64 bytes]
Validating checksum for HaikuPorts…done.
100% repocache-2 [1.82 MiB]
Validating checksum for HaikuPorts…done.
Validating checksum for KapiX’s Depot…done.
Nothing to do.
~>

RawTherapee and Web are still crashing as you noted too. I wil upload the latest crash reports maybe they have additional clues for the developers.

Since it work on fresh install; it might be something that is loaded when you launch the program, last opened file, config file…

It does it even so on a install that is a bit older, ran it though Terminal earlier where it gave me:

~> /boot/system/apps/GNOME\ Web/Web

(Web:92684): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:30:06.310: Failed to create file monitor for /boot/home/config/settings/glib-2.0/settings/keyfile: Kon de standaard ?file monitor type? niet vinden

(epiphany:92684): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:30:06.318: Failed to create file monitor for /boot/home/config/non-packaged/data/epiphany/permissions.ini: Kon de standaard ?file monitor type? niet vinden
wl_ips_client_connected
display: 0x11facd3a97a0
client: 0x11facd339f00

(epiphany:92684): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:30:06.512: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /boot/system/data/icons/haiku/status/16/image-missing.svg: Onbekend afbeeldingstype (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /boot/system/data/icons/haiku/status/16/image-missing.svg: Onbekend afbeeldingstype (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Abort
Kill Thread

Tried cleaning up on for the most I can find (regarding settings …), ran gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >/boot/system/settings/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/loaders.cache … no go still.

Interesting…Balsa does not work either for the same reason (I think) and that is GTK too:

~> Balsa
wl_ips_client_connected
display: 0x11d1424f9e50
client: 0x11d14249ec40

(Balsa:42347): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 15:47:58.130: Failed to create file monitor for /boot/home/config/settings/glib-2.0/settings/keyfile: Unable to find default local file monitor type
wl_ips_client_connected
display: 0x10ae9fd5c450
client: 0x10ae9fd18ee0

(:42370): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 15:47:58.674: Failed to create file monitor for /boot/home/config/settings/glib-2.0/settings/keyfile: Unable to find default local file monitor type

(Balsa:42347): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:47:58.828: Error loading icon from file ‘/packages/balsa-2.6.4-2/.self/data/balsa/pixmaps/balsa_icon.png’:
Couldn’t recognize the image file format for file “/packages/balsa-2.6.4-2/.self/data/balsa/pixmaps/balsa_icon.png”

(Balsa:42347): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:47:58.887: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:…/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /boot/system/data/icons/haiku/status/64/image-missing.svg: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:…/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /boot/system/data/icons/haiku/status/64/image-missing.svg: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Abort
Kill Thread
~>

Well, I wanted to get Okular and Ark back after the system updates seemed to upset my system. Always choosing a different state at boot time was becoming annoying and inconvenient. [Wish I could have a select a specific state to be the default instead of the latest state always being the default.] Anyway, here is the list steps I conducted over the “Ice Age” cold spell we experienced…

Part 1. Clean install
I performed a clean install using HRev 56932 Nightly CD, updated the repositories to the following and enabled them:

pkgman add-repo https://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/r1beta4/x86_64/current
pkgman add-repo https://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haiku/r1beta4/x86_64/current
pkgman add-repo Fat Elk Software
pkgman add-repo haiku x86_64 repository
pkgman add-repo Software

Then I performed a system update before installing any software.
Also, created a partiton backup using the Installer.

Part 2. Install Ark and Okular only to test functionality

a. Installed Ark - works as expected
b. Installed Okular - it did not crash but it reported it could not open document

Okular error on first-up

c. Created another partiton backup using the Installer.

Part 3. Install software from 0,A-C Titles (59 titles)
a. Installed software one-by-one, testing Ark after each install
b. installed Calligra Suite - each software crashes (i.e. Karbon, Sheets, Stage, & Words) on start-up

c. Installed Cantor - it broke Ark

d. Uninstalled Cantor - Ark resumed functionality
e. Resumed installing software
f. Created another partiton backup using the Installer.

Part 4. Install software from D-K Titles (78 titles)
a. Installed software one-by-one, continued testing Ark after each install
b. After installing ‘J’ set software, created another partiton backup using the Installer
c. Installed KMyMoney - it broke Ark
d. Uninstalled KMyMoney - Ark remained non-functional

Part 5. Re-do
a. Stopped installing software
b. Wiped system
c. Re-installed Haiku
d. Repeated the previous steps again ==> same results

Part 6. Install software from L-Z Titles (123 titles)
a. Installed software one-by-one, continued testing Ark after each install
b. Installed Web–it crashes on start-up
c. Created complete partiton backup using the Installer.
d. No further issues to report at this time

Summary: After all these efforts, I still do not have Ark, Okular, and Web working, which was the main issues for me to begin with. However, I have determined that installing certain software impacted Ark software. If no one installed cantor or KMyMoney–they cannot repeat my conditions for Ark’s non-functionality.

Updates:
Calligra Suite is non-functional at the onset of its install–it crashes on start-up.
Balsa is also non-functional–it crashes on start-up.

For Calligra I don’t know yet, why Cantor/KMyMoney interfer with Ark beats me too, but I’m going back to basic and will have a look if I can find what’s going on.

2 Likes

Also, I forgot to mention that after installing ‘F’ set of software, Okular began crashing.
So, software that I installed caused that change in behavior in its startup. It still crashes now.

I will be creating / updating support tickets with crash reports soon.

Call me blond (or maybe I’m missing something here), what do you mean by ‘F’ set of software?

Software packages starting with ‘F’.
He installed packages in alphabetical order … one-by-one as it was described above.

1 Like

Yes, after I installed software titles starting A thru F, I tested Okular again. Unfortunately, I was only testing Ark since it was initially operational and ignored Okular since it was nonfunctional but not crashing. Sone software from A thru F broke it further.

OK, after the tip from @3dEyes at haikuports I found out that the mime info was overwritten by akonadi/akonadi_mimes/cantor and mkmoney, reverting and adding those 2 lines in the recipe works, Ark running fine now with Cantor and KMymoney :slight_smile: (fix coming up later).

EDIT: on a sidenote, seems this fixed crashing Calligra also, so sorry for me messing up there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome…glad it was a simple fix!

1 Like

Never too old to learn from the master :smiley:

1 Like

@ArDrakho checked again after latest changes? Should be fixed now.

1 Like