Keymap and new "dead keys"

Thanks for explaining. And new format of the keymap can be used only in 64 bit version of Haiku.

Any chance to get the xdk addon in a recipe at Haikuports? This would make this available to users.

This doesn’t solve the problem, 64bit apps and libraries will also crash and need to be recompiled in exactly the same way. So we need to do this work for both versions of Haiku (and that comes for free, if you do it correctly on one it works on the other)

The way the add-on for media keys currently works will be broken by the changes to properly support them.

It only happens to work currently because the hid driver forwards essentially raw usb keycodes to userspace for keys that can’t be mapped by the current keymap structure. As a result the add-on can intercept those. But this can only work for USB, not ACPI and other way to have these keys (unless the respective drivers convert their keycodes in some way to fake the usb ones?). So, it will need some updates when this work is done, at least.

Should we still package it in the current state?

Hi, yes, I have done some research, I know how I can fix usb hid driver to send media keys and I am aware there are several patches pending for a keymap fix.

I did yesterday a try for get_key_map function following your instructions but I had no luck. I haven’t find a way to both keep binary and API compatibility. Perhaps I will submit the patch tonight just for discuss the problem on top of some real code.

This is a topic I really don’t master at all (and don’t enjoy) but it is being a bottleneck for lots of incoming fixes and features.