Keymap 5-th layout

Today I found, that Haiku support 5-th level in keymap (with Ctrl key). If I understand correctly, this is suppose to emulate functions of numpad? Need some info on this matter. Is there some guide for placing keys, and how it will affect work with terminal?

1 Like

It works:

And Cntr+C works in terminal, if not used in 5-th level of keymap.
Another shortcuts not tested (I now only one… sorry), some time ago there was some docs in the net about this… now I can not find it…

1 Like

i know only this one:

http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/misc/terminal_keymap.html

1 Like

Ok. I found in here:

Keyboard Shortcuts

Enter – Run the command
Up Arrow – Show the previous command
Ctrl + R – Allows you to type a part of the command you’re looking for and finds it

Ctrl + Z – Stops the current command, resume with fg in the foreground or bg in the background
Ctrl + C – Halts the current command, cancel the current operation and/or start with a fresh new line
Ctrl + L – Clear the screen

command | less – Allows the scrolling of the bash command window using Shift + Up Arrow and Shift + Down Arrow
!! – Repeats the last command
command !$ – Repeats the last argument of the previous command
Esc + . (a period) – Insert the last argument of the previous command on the fly, which enables you to edit it before executing the command

Ctrl + A – Return to the start of the command you’re typing
Ctrl + E – Go to the end of the command you’re typing
Ctrl + U – Cut everything before the cursor to a special clipboard, erases the whole line
Ctrl + K – Cut everything after the cursor to a special clipboard
Ctrl + Y – Paste from the special clipboard that Ctrl + U and Ctrl + K save their data to
Ctrl + T – Swap the two characters before the cursor (you can actually use this to transport a character from the left to the right, try it!)
Ctrl + W – Delete the word / argument left of the cursor in the current line

Ctrl + D – Log out of current session, similar to exit

I think this applies to Haiku to (or some of this not working in Haiku?)
And this meaning, these keys must be free on the fifth level of the keymap.
…And seems, I am going to fix my keymap again :slight_smile:

…Is there other shorcuts in Haiku with Ctrl I must be aware of?

I did some investigating, and found that the keys not work under Haiku: Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+L, Ctrl+A (instead work like Ctrl+Y must work), Ctrl+K, Ctrl+T, Ctrl+W, Ctrl+Y.
In addition, I think, that in US (and many other keymaps) 5th level of keymaps layout is generated at random (or not?), some keys are placed on Terminal default shortcuts places.
Why Terminal shortcuts not working in Haiku? Are they different or not implemented yet?

Also investigation reveals some bug in keymap app:
removing right symbol from right level of keymap is possible only by pressing real key on the keyboard (seems, pressed key on app keyboard picture does not matter).

Conclusion and update on the story. Finally I got finished my keymap layout:

only still ‘Cntr’ level of the Haiku keymap and how it must work (in terminal, text editor) it is not clear to me. Are there some standards on this and so on. Maybe some one can point me to some reading on the mater.

1 Like

The “control” plane sends control characters. Usually they are ASCII chars 1 to 26 mapped to ctrl+A, ctrl+B, …, ctrl+Z. This is what allows you to use ctrl+C to kill a program, ctrl+Z to suspend it, etc. In a text editor it will just insert said characters.

1 Like