KDE Frameworks 5 and KDE apps

Here’s a status update:

I’m currently carefully going through about 50 KDE Frameworks recipes cleaning them up and fixing last known issues.

3dEyes is working on Haiku icon theme for Qt/KDE using Zumi icons to make apps look native.
Today he figured out why icons wouldn’t show up in KDE file panel which will require some more fixes to a few recipes. It is decided that the theme will be part of qthaikuplugins package.
This is how apps look as of now:

12 Likes

Diver,

I didn’t mean to pressure you guys to deliver your ports. I agree you should take your time to polish everything before releasing them to the public. The more polish the better.
On the other hand, Haiku users are thirsty for apps that bring the OS to a more useful (as far as an ordinary user concerns) state. People are eager to have that.
So keep doing whatever you guys are doing to make it come true.
Thank you so much.

4 Likes

thank you for your explanation @extrowerk

Calligra + KDiagram:

11 Likes

Impressive work!
Also maybe you have compiled new GoldenDict?

1 Like

I hope that Calligra works better on Haiku than on Linux.

2 Likes

Icons for Calligra and Krita:

12 Likes

Very nice! Good work!

Is there a nice burning app too using the kde framwork?

"K3b is a full-featured, easy to use CD and DVD burner, copier, ripper and more”:
https://www.kde.org/applications/multimedia/k3b/

1 Like

Could be a pdf reader based on the kde framework fix the problems opening and reading pdfs on Haiku?

What kind of Problem do you got with pdfs?

My haiku does not open any pdf

Yes, there is Okular https://www.kde.org/applications/graphics/okular/

BePDF and DocumentViewer should both open and view PDFs without too much problems. It’s a different things if you have to complete forms in PDFs or other “advanced” operations, however.

8 Likes

I’ve just pushed KDE Frameworks to haikuports:

These are the libs which are needed for all KDE apps to work.
After some more fixes 3dEyes will push his recipes for the apps he’s ported so far.

12 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly (he said, as he was switching on his Haiku box to port another Java app). The problem is not that QT and Java apps don’t look like native ones. That is fixable with skins and icons (PNG not HVIF but still…). The problem is that they don’t interact with Haiku’s own apps and systems.They don’t understand our extended attributes or the way Haiku maintains a single People database. So any attempt at say, mail-merging will mean maintaining a separate database of names and addresses. Then you get people writing conversion utilities … it ends up as a mess.

Still, let’s recall that once upon a time, long long ago, BePDF started out as an XPDF port. We’ll just have to see where this takes us.

3 Likes

KDE is a very specific platform which goes way beyond QT as a UI ToolKit. It especially digs deep into the system (like Akonadi for example for PIM). It will always be an own eco-system inside Haiku (like a VirtualBox). Some applications use less of those dig-ins while others use more but in the end it’s an own eco-system.

I would go as far as saying all this KDE stuff should be an own repository not mixed in with the haiku-ports one. It’s fine if people want to use it (but to be honest, then you are better off using KDE on Linux in the first place) but it doesn’t make sense to mix it into the main ports repository. It’s just too self-sustained.

1 Like