Just curious how does Haiku benefit compared to Linux and additional questions?

Stack and tiles + hotkeys from i3wm can be an excellent idea.

2 Likes

launch_server is a service manager, kind of like systemd

1 Like

Personally I do not understand the hype behind the tiling window managers. They mostly standardise the way windows can be placed on screen, and take all the fun away, itā€™s very limiting for my taste. Itā€™s not exactly desktop metaphor either.

Haikuā€™s window management is currently the best among similar operating systems. There are already powerful window and focus management features already built in. We have a totally spatial file manager. We have zoom to content. While other operating systems and DEs are reinventing the wheel, we take all these features for granted. Letā€™s keep it that way.

1 Like

I like haikus windows.

I hate the new windows style of Windows, then you go on top the screen the window in the hand, and get fullscreen windowā€¦ WHY

Iā€™m also wondering what was the idea. Itā€™s painful and not only on Windows unfortunately.

Regarding Haikuā€™s ability to use multiple partitions. Haiku has read-only support for some Linux and Windows filesystem types, and probably also write support for some subset of them. You can try it out by right-click on the desktop and mount desired partition from drop-down menu. You can see what options it gives you (read-only or read-write) and you can open the mounted volume in Tracker to see if you can copy files from it / write files to it.

The reason Haiku discourages from keeping home folder on non-BFS filesystem is because of possible use of BFS extended file attributes, which do not exist in / are incompatible with other filesystems.

No matter the theory, tiling is the best way to manage a desktop to me, if a really free operating system give me that option i will take it over all. no matter if it donā€™t fit with a theorical way to make the thingsā€¦ Lets not keep it that way, lets evolve. An opensource software should give options and not impose, for that i can buy an apple, if i want a computer where i canā€™nt do what i want, then i install windows or osx.

Yes, there is Linux for that. Whole point of Linux is to give total freedom about how your desktop should look and feel. Haiku is a cohesive operating system, once you give too many options to the user, with the necessary bloat you add in general to make those features work, then Iā€™d argue itā€™s no longer Haiku.

About the evolving thingā€¦ Yes we see that OSs evolve, but not necessarily for the better. Sometimes itā€™s best to stick what works, in terms of GUI.

Oh no, i know what is haiku, and i know it can be tiled withouth any problem, and i feel it is a good option if it is not a dictatorial desition, yes linux is a Kernel and Haiku a desktop, then haiku can have all the thing for a good desktop as an option.