Is The BeOS Revision 5 Out Of Time? (BeOS Inc. BeOS Revision 5 and dates commencing January 1, 2011)

Am I the first among those still using BeOS Revision 5 this 2011 to have made the unpleasant discovery that dates beyond the end of 2010 are not adequately supported? On the BeOS Revision 5 Deskbar select the time with the mouse cursor and press the left mouse button and then press the right mouse button. From the resulting drop down menu select “Change Time…” with the mouse cursor and press the left mouse button. In the “Time & Date” tab which outputs observe that beyond 2010 there is only 1965. Both through Tracker and bash, although it can maintain a date stamp of a for example 2011-modified file copied into one of its mounted file systems, Revision 5 cannot assign a date stamp beyond the end of 2010. Does this mean that the BeOS Revision 5 - actually yet an excellent operating system with myriad contemporary uses - is simply… out of time? Or is there some patch available or some corrective configuration that can be made so as to adequately support date modification stamps beyond the end of 2010? This also holds for the BeOS 5 PE Max edition version v31b1. This does not hold for Zeta 1.0 or Zeta 1.2. I have at this writing found no information regarding this somewhat major problem with Revision 5, and hope to know how the problem is known and what if any solution can be applied to it.

Nope, you are not the first to know. Over on the BeBox forums a number of people have made mention of it including me. No one answered there either about any patches either so I don’t know of a fix. One person did mention one can use the Terminal to set the date and time of the BeOS and once done, the computer should be right for date and times until you shut it down. At least one can maybe do this at boot to make it work. I need to go find that command to use in Terminal and try it on my BeBox one day to see what it does. tj

is there any way to use Haiku source to buid patches/replacment modules for BeOS, essentially prolonging the life of this beautiful OS. I still have an x86 BeOS box knocking around (Dell Dimension) and still use it occasionally for certain activities

"is there any way to use Haiku source to buid patches/replacment modules for BeOS"
No. The Haiku sources are completely different than BeOS source, which is owned by a company.

In the short term you could set your year back to 2010. Not the best work around.

I use R5 and don’t have any time problems at all (other that the daylight saving time change not made at the right day). I have a previous open beos calender app in my Deskbar, a X86 machine, the cpu fix installed and BONE. If yo mention zeta is not having this, it might be BONE related.

You can set the time in terminal. So there should be a way to script something to run at boot. To get to the time setting in terminal just type '/bin/date --help From there its just a matter of figuring out what options and strings. I just discovered my date was WRONG on my Be box. If I can suss out a nice shell script I’ll post it.

Yes, a script to do at startup would be sweet. If anyone makes one, make sure to let us all now. :sunglasses:

tj

Its a bug in the Time preferences widget itself. The dates do only show up to 2010. However if you set the date by the Terminal it will be ok. In teminal do 'date -s “mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS” '
to set the date. So you’d put month/day/year a space then hours:minutes:seconds. And be sure to enclose it with the quote marks too. Once you set it it will persist and be correct after reboots. So I can keep using this Bebox. I just had to learn a little code :slight_smile:

So even after cold boots? Wow! Or just restarts from the OS?

So, let me make sure I understand, I type the following exactly as I show below with the ’ and the “”:

'date -s “02/19/2011 10:38:00” ’

A space between the last “” and the ’

And once done, even after cold or hard reboots the date and time will show correct. From this point on ignore the Time preference all together.

tj

macsociety said:
So, let me make sure I understand, I type the following exactly as I show below with the ’ and the “”:

'date -s “02/19/2011 10:38:00” ’

A space between the last “” and the ’

No need for the ’ character. If you type ‘date’ at the terminal it will show you what the format is supposed to look like. Again, you dont need the ’ I just use it out of habit to illustrate commands. Oh, and the clock is in 24 hour time format, fyi.

For anyone coming to this question looking for help with this problem in the future you can download a program called CClock[1] and set it to synchronize your time at startup. You may have to change the language (default is Japanese) and NTP server address (I used us.pool.ntp.org in the US). To make it run at start up check the “Do Resident” checkbox.

[1] CClock Haikuware Page