Is Haiku right for my needs

Hello All

I trust this is a somewhat appropriate place to post this question.

Awhile ago I heard about Haiku from a friend and I was intrigued. Now, I think I may actually have a use for this OS and I’m wondering if some of the more veteran users here can answer a few questions regarding Haiku. I have a Laptop PC of moderate capability that I would like to turn into a machine to do rudimentary stuff. Some of the tasks I need it to do OUT OF THE BOX (little setup time) are as follows:

1. Remote Desktop INTO XP and ‘7’ based PC’s (most important)
  2. Connect to a G/N wireless network
  3. Be able to recognize USB flash drives and other devices easily.
  4. Will OpenOffice work on it?

Will Haiku do those things for me…without too much headache?

I don’t have the $ to acquire an XP license and I just don’t have the time to setup LINUX which would do all I need to do BUT is just to labor intensive right now. I need this UP and Running in a matter of hours.

Thanks so much for your brain dumps!

Robert
Otter River, Massachusetts

Oh my god please stop ranting on about freaking Linux! The bottom line is just stick to Windows XP until Haiku R1 Final is released. By that time Haiku will pretty much do whatever you need it to do. Just don’t bother with Linux fans trying to make it look easy.

1. Remote Desktop INTO XP and ‘7’ based PC’s (most important): No
  2. Connect to a G/N wireless network : Yes&No
  3. Be able to recognize USB flash drives and other devices easily: Yes
  4. Will OpenOffice work on it? : No

these are statements that are true today.

Sounds like Haiku isn’t quite what you’re looking for yet, though those four requirements could certainly be fulfilled in time. Linux is not labour intensive to set up, not with modern mainstream distributions anyway. Based on wanting to get going as quickly as possible, I’d say it’s worth you trying Linux Mint. Download here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
You can see a review of the latest release here:
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/linux-mint-10-review/

Do continue to keep an eye on Haiku though, so you know when it’s ready for you. : )

Haiku is Alpha so I wouldn’t even suggest using it for primary OS. Only to play around with as hobby OS for now. You’re best to select a Linux distro to use.

Some Linux distros are very easy to use and install.
I personally like Debian (very stable & easy). CentOS was nice too but with less software.

Ubuntu is cutting edge Debian. Mint is Ubuntu + codecs, Java, browser plugins. Many people love Ubuntu/Mint but for me I experienced instability using older version and never tried Ubuntu again.

You first decide if you like Gnome or KDE and then choose the Linux distro that best suits your needs. I really like Gnome so those are the distros I stick to.

Some Linuxes are fairly hard and only for experts like Gentoo and Arch which you shouldn’t look at or use.

[quote=Zeno Arrow]Sounds like Haiku isn’t quite what you’re looking for yet, though those four requirements could certainly be fulfilled in time. Linux is not labour intensive to set up, not with modern mainstream distributions anyway. Based on wanting to get going as quickly as possible, I’d say it’s worth you trying Linux Mint. Download here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
You can see a review of the latest release here:
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/linux-mint-10-review/

Do continue to keep an eye on Haiku though, so you know when it’s ready for you. : )[/quote]

Given his requirements, I’d suggest he sticks with windows. Linux “any flavor” is a pain in the ass to use.

[quote=thatguy]
Given his requirements, I’d suggest he sticks with windows. Linux “any flavor” is a pain in the ass to use.[/quote]

Really. Do you tell that to people you see using Android phones?

Seriously though, what was the last mainstream Linux distro you tried? What did you find hard about it?

[quote=Zeno Arrow][quote=thatguy]
Given his requirements, I’d suggest he sticks with windows. Linux “any flavor” is a pain in the ass to use.[/quote]

Really. Do you tell that to people you see using Android phones?

Seriously though, what was the last mainstream Linux distro you tried? What did you find hard about it?[/quote]

andriod phones aren't your average linux distro.They use the linux kernel and not much else. 

Ubuntu "10.xx" and it sucks ass. Lazy and slow, GUI is horrific to look at, apps are a pain to install. Didn't work with 50% of my hardware.Pulling teeth to find anything. Oddly named or crypitcally named applications and utilitys.  

Should I go on ?

Your not going to convert me to linux. Linux is a disaster. leave that kernel to people who need to build specialized applications and OS for specific mission hardware. Leave it on servers, but keep it off my desktop. I am very happy with my dual boot windowsXp and Haiku Pc. works good.

You didn’t say average Linux distro, you said ‘Linux “any flavor” is a pain in the ass to use’, Android is a flavour of Linux.

[quote]Ubuntu “10.xx” and it sucks ass. Lazy and slow, GUI is horrific to look at, apps are a pain to install. Didn’t work with 50% of my hardware.Pulling teeth to find anything. Oddly named or crypitcally named applications and utilitys.

Should I go on ?[/quote]

Yes, you should go on. What hardware does your PC have? Which of those devices didn’t work?

Pulling teeth to find anything? Your personal files are stored under /home, your applications are linked to in the menu, what exactly were you struggling to find?

Apps are a pain to install eh. Which tool did you try and use? Add/Remove Programs? Synaptic? apt-get? How is it hard to type in the name of the application you want into a search bar in Synaptic? Was your keyboard suddenly unusable in Ubuntu?

Preference with regards to GUI is down to personal taste, so can’t call you up on that point.

Lazy and slow?

Out of the 24 benchmarks Phoronix used to compare Ubuntu 10.10 and Mac OS X 10.6.5, Ubuntu won 15. Still think its slow? Perhaps you prejudged it before you used it.

I admit some Linux apps have odd names, but it’s not too hard to find the app you need, at most finding the right app is achieved through a quick use of Google, and once you know the app it’s not a challenge to find it again. Besides, Linux isn’t the only system with non-obvious names, for example if you didn’t know what it is could you say what the app Spotify did just from the name?

RemoteDesktop is posible with VNCserver… i have tested it under Haiku. and on Windows XP masine i see Haiku screen…

If you like linux and the linux way of doing things, maybe you should stick with linux. I find it to be a lazy slow OS that has no better performance then windows in 90% of the applications I use. The gUI is horriable, I tried several “Distros” none of which worked correctly.

I was using linux in 1998, so don’t get on some holier then though platitude with me. My first Pc was a apple IIe. I still have it and I have had it for about 27 years.

I have been around the block.

Take your linux zeal somewhere else. If the OP wants a OS that will work out of the box, go with windows.

more info on this would be wonderful.

@thatguy

I like using the right tool for the job. The OP was looking for a free operating system that required minimal configuration and had 4 essential features, mainstream Linux distros fit this bill.

I think Haiku has promise, it’s not the only alternative OS I follow but it is probably the one with the most chance at building a decent-sized user base.

[quote]I was using linux in 1998, so don’t get on some holier then though platitude with me. My first Pc was a apple IIe. I still have it and I have had it for about 27 years.

I have been around the block.[/quote]

Using Linux in 1998 is probably what put you off it, things have improved greatly since then, surely you’ve noticed that? My first computer was a ZX Spectrum (I still have it), so I’ve been around the block too.

He already said he can’t afford Windows, and Linux does work out of the box for most people now, so quit with your prejudice and give the guy the advice he asked for.

I think Paspie was trying to tell thatguy to stop slamming Linux and just use Windows XP until Haiku is ready for him. Paspie wasn’t saying anything bad about Linux. He wanted the Linux bashing to stop.

Everyone chooses the OS that is right for them whether it be Linux, Windows, MacOS, Haiku or other. Take a look at the people using AmigaOS or MorphOS. Why don’t they just use Windows? Because their OS (& PPC hardware) works for them. It doesn’t matter what OS you use or which is better. Most important is are you happy with your OS? If I like Linux then why should I use Windows? If you like Windows then why should you use Linux? etc., Market share doesn’t matter either. It’s what I like and works best for me. Also, Linux attracts lots of developers who get upset when their OS is bashed.

The only free alternatives are Linux and 2nd choice BSD. Either one of those is good but Linux gets way more support. Some distros are super easy to use and others much harder. Sometimes you have to try a couple different distros before you find the right one for you.

As others have said haiku is alpha software so, even though I find it remarkably stable on my Atom based netbook and desktop, use at your own risk. Hardware support is an issue. If your hardware is supported, great! If not, too bad. Most regulars here are probably hobbyist types who run more than one operating system “for the fun of it”. I can speak for myself in that I set up one Atom desktop to boot either Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux, Apple OSX or Haiku just to prove to myself that it could be done! Would i use haiku as my primary OS? Not until it has:

1. Full featured wireless support…almost there but, not quite yet.

2. Support for web based multimedia ie. flash and html5…I have no idea when.(I couldn’t get gnash to work with Bezilla(firefox) on alpha2 or any of the nightlies that came out right after.)

As for the items on your list. OpenOffice is probably the most doubtful in the near future. For more on that read the thread “Open Office In Haiku”.

Contrary to what some others have said, I managed to find a remote desktop client that worked on alpha2. IIRC I think it was a BeOS/haiku port of rdesktop which is what I use in linux, drawback being you have to invoke it from the terminal (command line). Once you’ve got the right parameters, it’s very easy to repeat it by just scrolling through previous commands in the terminal (arrow up).

Haiku has mounted every USB mass storage device I have tried including my digital camera IIRC. It has also worked with a few USB connected wireless mice and a wireless keyboard.

I don’t have the $ to acquire an XP license and I just don’t have the time to setup LINUX which would do all I need to do BUT is just to labor intensive right now. I need this UP and Running in a matter of hours.
Huh? Give me your laptop and I guarantee you I’ll have it up and running Ubuntu Linux in less than an hour (once I get non destructive re-partitioning out of the way). Using a USB flash drive, I have done several “drive by” installs on different laptops, most in way less than half an hour (after re-partitioning). 9.04 and 10.04 have been kindest to me so, I stay away from the X.10 versions.

Alan

Reading comprehension fail:
“I don’t have the $ to acquire an XP license”
What part of that is hard to understand?

If you’ve got a better free alternative to Linux that meets all the OP requirements right now, then please mention it.

@Paspie, I am surprised by your vitriol against Linux and I guess you’re just lucky to have hardware that works well with haiku. I first used Linux back in the late nineties (Caldera Linux 1.0) and played with a few different distros over the years and I think I can speak with authority when I say it has changed a whole lot in the more than 10 years I’ve been playing with it. I have used Ubuntu as the primary OS on my laptop since I bought my first one in early 2008 starting with version 7.10. I currently run 10.04 on my netbook and like 9.04, it has been my experience that it installs painlessly from a USB flash drive and everything just works “out of the box”.

The bottom line is just stick to Windows XP until Haiku R1 Final is released
He might be waiting a long time (years). In the meantime:
I have a Laptop PC of moderate capability that I would like to turn into a machine to do rudimentary stuff. Some of the tasks I need it to do OUT OF THE BOX (little setup time) are as follows:
sounds like a good fit for Ubuntu to me. Have you tried Ubuntu 9.04 or 10.04?

Alan

P.S. (I don’t do gaming)

Reading comprehension fail:
“I don’t have the $ to acquire an XP license”
What part of that is hard to understand?

If you’ve got a better free alternative to Linux that meets all the OP requirements right now, then please mention it.[/quote]I am 13 years of age, what do you expect?

For remote Desktop:

http://haikuware.ru/software/rdesktop

With RDesktop i can control Windows XP and Windows 7 from Haiku.