IProWireless 2200BG vs Broadcom 440x wired

My currently available rig is a Dell Inspiron 9300 with IntelPROWireless 2200bg wifi and Broadcom 440x wired chipset connections, running nightly hrev 51782. I don’t currently have access to a wired connection to test any performance differences between the two.

Currently using the IPW2200 is kinda spotty. I’m getting lots of dropped packets and connection resets. While this does not stop me from using Haiku, it does impede getting online quite a bit (not impossibly so, but annoyingly so.) Accessing the repo from within my Haiku environment is next to impossible as I almost invariably have to start over within a couple minutes. Trying to build from source has been a pain as jam fails after several attempts to download build dependencies. If I’m lucky I get two maybe three dependencies downloaded in any one go, but only about a third of my tries.

I’m considering getting a wireless to wired bridge and connecting Haiku through the 440x. Has anyone done similar? Is this a decent idea? Is there something I’m missing using the IPW2200 after running the firmware script? Is this just the way it is right now? If so, I’ll shut up and get back to using my thumbdrive networking protocol for large transfers. Thanks!

Have you tried to disable -ht?

https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/workshop-wlan.html

I guess I did miss something. RTFM works better when you don’t skim over bits. Thanks. I’ll try that on my next boot.

Like a brand new machine now. Thanks! updated UserBootscript

1 Like

And after my awesome experience in that first session with ifconfig * -ht, networking is back to it’s slow, packet lossy self.
’’‘bash
ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi2200/0 -ht
’’'
This worked initially, but after rebooting with this line in UserBootscript, networking is back to it’s old barely usable state. Even manually running ifconfig fails to help.

Try doing something like this in UserBootscript:
ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi2200/0 down
ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi2200/0 up
ifconfig /dev/net/iprowifi2200/0 -ht

Might help, but also not 100% reliable…

What happened to me, even in a debian stable in a workstation is that I have sometimes to reboot to my main install otherwise network won’t work. While it’s surely annoying better than nothing and worth a try.

I can reboot until I’m blue in the face. No change.

I tried that from the terminal to no avail.

In my excitement of having networking working, I did manage to upgrade from hrev51782 to hrev51795 could that cause me grief?

I doubt it. Nothing suspicious in the commit log, as far as I can tell.
FWIW, I have a ipro4965 where I do that ifconfig -ht rigmarole, too (actually, I didn’t know the -ht trick worked with other chipsets). It improves connectivity, but sometimes I still lose it and have to reboot after a few hours.

I added an additional “sleep 2” before the ifconfig, as otherwise it just didn’t work sometimes (IIRC, it’s been a while since I use it…). Maybe try that, too.

Well, it seemed to work exactly once. For several hours. I have yet to renew that success, even from the terminal. I’m not sure of “sleep 2” will help my case. I’ll try it after next boot.

Barring this, should I ditch trying to use internal wireless and try other means?

Sleep 2 didn’t help. Gah! Using haiku was such bliss for those few short hours that networking was working.

Reverting back to my previous nightly failed to remedy. Man, I was so stoked when I got it working. Win XP still works as well-ish as it ever did. Ubuntu pooched it’s firmware just before I tried the -ht hack. I feel like I’m stuck in a box with only one Windows to look out.