Installing to an Old PC

I’m sorry if this is the nth time somebody is posting a “how do I install Haiku” topic, but I’m really having trouble with this thing. I’ve messed around with several tutorials for hours, and I still don’t have a working Haiku installation.

Just a bit about my machine. I finally got myself an old machine to try out Haiku. It’s a very old Nippon Electric Company computer (I think the guy who used to own it smuggled it from Japan or something). The entire thing is just one unit. Speakers, monitor and the computer itself is all integrated into one huge box. It has a VIA Cyrix M3 processor on an old Intel motherboard. Very generic stuff, really. It has 128M of RAM and a 20GB ATA hard drive. So I guess it’s perfect for Haiku.

Now, my CD burner is currently dead so I can’t burn a CD. I have the Haiku raw image on my USB drive. I can boot this system into CLI mode from a Gentoo CD and I have access to both fdisk and dd.

This is what didn’t work : I wiped the disk clean (it had Win98) and created a new 1GB partition with fdisk. I made it bootable and made the FS type BeFS. Then I did dd if=haiku.image of=/dev/hda1. Nothing happened. dd just sits there doing nothing until I hit CTRL+C.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you positive that it’s doing nothing? Sometimes the dd command can take a while to do something while not giving any visual indication that it’s working.

If dd is indeed doing nothing as you described, that behavior is typical of a command line utility that is expecting more command line arguments. Try a ‘man dd’ to see all the available options and look for any that might be pertinent that you may not have used. In particular, I think the arguments to specify block size and the amount of data to copy are important when dd-ing an image to a disk. Without these arguments, dd may not know what to do if the image and destination disk/partition aren’t the exact same size (IIRC).

first of all are you running dd as root?
do the dd copy, then make it bootable! (using Haiku’s / Beos’ Makebootable utility. This app writes a partition offset into the filesystem.

It doesn’t matter what type the partition is marked as, or formatted. The dd overwrites any struture, or formatting.

Maybe it’s just really slow!

Euan

hi all,
I tried installing haiku on real hardware too
i made a beos type partition set it bootable and dd ed the image on it
it all seemed to work fine im able to mount the hd in linux and i see the beos file structures
just booting wont work
now how do i use the makebootable tool without having beos or zeta or haiku running?
is there any way doing it without the need of digging out my dusty beos cd?

thanks for any help

diego

You can either use an emulator (qemu or vmware) with both an image and your partition mapped, boot the image, and use makebootable on the installed partition; or make a boot floppy or boot cd (you only need to burn the first track there) and use it to boot the partition (select it in the boot menu), and call makebootable from there.

If you happen to be in the Northern Virginia (USA) area then I can hook you up with my spare burner that’s gathering dust.