Installing flite_x86 destabilizes Haiku

Everytime that a package wants to install flite_x86 as a dependency, Haiku starts acting up. It ranges from HaikuDepot just seemingly hanging on the download like the internet connection has dropped to stuff like the image below happening and the whole OS locking up subsequently afterwards (not even Ctrl-Alt-Del works by this point):
pkgman installing flite_x86

I am currently only able to test Haiku in Virtualbox since my only other machine is a netbook and I don’t have any other flash drives at the moment.

System details:

1 Like

Try to reproduce while tailing syslog with:
tail -F /var/log/syslog

Make sure to configure its network correctly, see Troubleshooting of the VB guide.

Thanks for the advice, @humdinger! The issues have gone away when switching the network adapter as directed in the page that you linked. Still, it does make me wonder why changing that setting would have such a drastic effect? Does it have something to do with Haiku’s driver for AMD PCnet-FAST III?

Anyhow, the last thing that’s missing is audio and OSS is most definitely not an option anymore on modern Linux systems. Maybe I should make a seperate topic about that?

But we are talking about Haiku, arent we?please, explain your problem.

1 Like

There are workarounds for missing audio on Virtualbox, but they either do not work (such as changing audio adapters) or are no longer feasible like installing OSS drivers on Haiku and changing the relevant sound settings in VBox to use OSS. Maybe I should make a separate topic about this?

“OSS drivers on Haiku and changing the relevant sound settings in VBox to use OSS. Maybe I should make a separate topic about this?”

That doesn’t even make sense? OSS from VirtualBox’s point of view is an output device… not a device to provide to Haiku.

VirtualBox emulates a given sound card, OSS is a driver architecture for a wide range of cards not a specific sound card driver. You shouln’t have to install OSS etc… to get audio working in VirtualBox…

If you are having problems with audio in Linux or with VirtualBox not outputting audio… then this isn’t a problem with Haiku and you should just get that working first before proceeded here.

If you can for instance boot up another OS and get audio output from Virtualbox it may be Haiku isn’t working with any of the VirtualBox emulated sound cards then that would be a a problem with Haiku.

I’m talking about this, @cb88:

Source:
https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/no-sound-with-vb-ose/2509

Well while the info in that post is a little out of date… if you actually followed it’s suggestion an configured VirtualBox to Ac97 or HDA and tested it it should work… haiku has built in drivers for these even 7 years ago…

Installing OSS was a work around 7 years ago… it should be completely irrelevant now.

Yes @cb88, I’ve tried changing the emulated audio hardware to those; look at this quote from one of my previous replies:

There are workarounds for missing audio on Virtualbox, but they either do not work (such as changing audio adapters)

I’ll try testing other OSes in VBox to check if the problem is with Haiku or something else.