Install nightly to partition

It has been a while, I last did this shortly after the last alpha, but the way I remember it,

1. download raw image and uncompress
  2. mount raw image
  3. copy files via Tracker

That works because the raw image file was an image of a system that one can boot, obviously.

But the “raw image” for r48353 is essentially a directory full of packages. Not sure what the point of that would be. Installer (from my older Haiku) dutifully copies this stuff into the new partition, but still just a directory of packages.

Is there a way to install one of these nightly images directly into the BFS filesystem on another partition? Or if it needs to format a new BFS filesystem, that’s OK, but of course I don’t want to just dd something into the partition and get 600Mb usable space out of 115Gb.

thanks!

Your best bet is to reformat the partition and install Haiku using the Installer app from a USB drive or from a CD-R. A raw image is for USB drives, ISO is for CDs and .Anyboot is a hybrid that can be used for both.

Once you are running a current nightly on bare metal, you can update Haiku by just updating the system package via the Internet.
http://www.haiku-os.org/guides/daily-tasks/updating-system

Copying from tracker should still work too (don’t forget to run makebootable after copying). The packages don’t need to be extracted for the system to run.

Loading Haiku
haiku_loader not found_

As expected, because there is no /boot/system/haiku_loader. It might be extractable from a .hpkg file, but at this point?

So the anyboot download contains a real run-able system image? Can that be mounted from a hard disk file?

OK, the answer to that is apparently “no” - I can actually mount the anyboot image, if I specify iso9660 filesystem, but that gets me only a small filesystem with a small floppy image, and Installer crashes when it sees it.

So it looks to me like, from where I am, a little after alpha4, the current “raw image” is mountable but is no longer a system image; the anyboot image is not effectively mountable; so there’s no longer any way to install a nightly from hard disk.

1. Create and format new bfs partition
  2. Download raw zip http://download.haiku-os.org/nightly-images/x86_gcc2_hybrid/
  3. Expander zip
  4. Mount image
  5. Copy all files to new bfs partition
  6. Makebootable new bfs partition (in Terminal) makebootable /dev/disk/scsi/0… (view in DriveSetup)
  7. Install /boot/system/apps/BootManager
  8. Restart system

Boot Manager isn’t yet tested very well and still has a few restrictions that it will complain about if they aren’t met: the menu can only be installed on your first harddisk and there has to be a 2KiB space after the Master Boot Record (MBR).

http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/applications/bootmanager.html

I have been using BootManager since the '90s, assuming that’s the same thing that came with the BeOS CDs. Not very well tested yet, is it? The one I’m using now probably did come from Haiku, as opposed to BeOS, but I assume it’s the same thing. I’m getting to the partition and running whatever boot blocks it has, but no joy after that because the partition doesn’t have a “system”, it just has .hpkg files. Do you believe a new version of BootManager is going to deal with that? I don’t, but there’s a lot I don’t know about this system.

I found that we have a USB thumb drive or two around the house, so I tried that, with the anyboot image: “NTLDR is missing”

That was a simple dd copy with bs=1M as suggested in “Making a Haiku USB Stick” Afterwards there’s something in there that’s marked as a BFS partition, but it isn’t mountable. The same page also discusses installing to USB via Installer, but as best as I can make out, that will work only if you have a mounted system to install from.

You can register an anyboot image from Terminal via “diskimage register {name-of-anyboot}”. Then mount as usual and use Installer.

The issue seems to be that you can’t install a current nightly from an ancient Haiku installation. The Installer/makebootable etc. don’t know about the package anagement intricacies.
You’ll have to make one last clean installation by creating a USB stick or CD from a nightly. After that you can use the new update mechanism.

Regards,
Humdinger

Yes, though note that as ancient as it may be, it’s newer than the last alpha, so everyone with an alpha install is in the same boat. And for what? I suppose there must have been some point to a raw nightly that isn’t a system image, but from here it just looks like gratuitous breakage.

I’ll have to round up a writeable CD, crossing my fingers. The USB approach isn’t working for me, with either the anyboot or raw image

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart
_

For the very deep changes package managment required.

RAW nightly are just as much a system image as before. You just can’t use pre-PM infrastructure (Installer/makebootable) to install it. You have to make a clean install.

[quote]I’ll have to round up a writeable CD, crossing my fingers. The USB approach isn’t working for me, with either the anyboot or raw image

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart[/quote]

I thought I’ve read about this issue before, but can’t find a ticket… You may want to try another USB stick and consider filing a bug if the issue persists. Maybe doublecheck your dd command line…

Regards,
Humdinger

2nd USB failed in the same manner. CD works, with the ISO image - at last!