Improving the Intel Extreme Driver (Was: Graphics on Dell laptop in Vesa mode only)

You have a Sandy Bridge laptop. Did you have a screen before I worked on this? Yes, all my updates are committed. Laptops are a bit hard for me to do since I don’t have one here (I would need a system for each type of card to be able to test and understand all that’s happening).

Anywhow, did you open a ticket for this system? If not, best do so, add a description, upload a syslog (or previous syslog if you can’t get a picture) so we can see what the driver is doing…

1 Like

Oh, it’s probably wise for laptop owners to assume a secondary screen is likely to not work. You might be lucky, or you might not be lucky. I am testing on desktop systems (HP) sofar, doing my best to not break existing support. That seems to succeed sofar afaik… Though I have to admit that currently dualhead clone seems to not work on Sandy bridge desktop where I had it running some time ago.

That is interesting info for me as well, so I am going te doublecheck which part worked that I assumed -not- to, and update the driver again. But that will take a week or so, since I only occasionally have access to this system (it’s from a collegue of mine :wink: )

1 Like

I used to have a screen working before upgrading to the mentioned nightly.
I have opened ticket 17046.
Computer boots fine with framebuffer.

Ticket can be closed as invalid. Driver is working when booting from USB and from clean install. Somehow my install got corrupted. Sorry for the noise.

5 Likes

Hello as soon as I discovered that there was this thread that I read almost everything, taken by the enthusiasm I went to try the night-build that I downloaded a few days ago because I was going to see if the external montor works on the intel HD 4000 of my laptop.
Here is what i discovered:
it starts optimally at the native resolution of the internal monitor, but if i try to change resolution i always get black screen, the app to change resolution seems to recognize the GPU, but if i go to see on the devices, it seems that it says driver unknown, so I don’t know if the driver is started.
Of the external monitor, connected to the hdmi port there is no trace.
Here is the screenshot. (among the devices, I also have an nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 but it is connected as e-gpu via pci express, which obviously I have not tried to test, since in any case the laptop starts directly from the internal monitor and I don’t know how to force haiku to switch to nvidia, as long as it works.)

2 Likes

Please try a 32bit build if possible and report how the driver behaves there. I suspect it will work there. I also saw that we suffer from black screen after mode sets on x64, same card. This is a regression introduced by beta3 approx, but -outside- of the driver. It worked correctly before and in the mean time I did zero updates to the driver…
Would be cool if we could pinpoint the offending commit to see how we can improve the driver’s robustness.

On a sidenote: the devices info is incorrect, while the screen prefs app shows correct info. You are using gen7, not gen3.

Apparantly the database behind devices is outdated or otherwise incorrect concerning Intel graphics.

5 Likes

I’ll try 32 bit

i don’t know, on the web they say my cpu i5-3210M is gen 3 , my laptop is a Vaio from 2012

(I also have an integrated Ati Radeon HD 7670, but I disabled it via bios because I have the e-gpu)

The card ID is 0x0166, see:

Maybe it’s wise if you create a ticket then, with all this info. Please upload a syslog there as well then so we can see what the driver makes of it.

1 Like

I haven’t created tickets for ten years, I don’t remember anything, not even where is the haiku sys-log, can you link some mini tutorial or doc to refresh my memory?
I haven’t seriously opened haiku in years. :sweat_smile:
(however i found that i have an account and created bugreports in the past that i had forgotten about :scream: :joy:)

3 Likes

You can find syslog files (previous_syslog, syslog, syslog.old) in folder /system/var/log

2 Likes

Note that man can be easily confuse with intel CPUs as they indicate Gen version for everything: The CPU itself, the GPU, the HDA unit etc and, of course, they are all of different Gen. Where would be the fun otherwise? :grinning:

3 Likes

then i suspect that the gen 3 shown in the screenshot refers to the cpu

2 Likes

I downloaded and tried the 32-bit version, and the exact same thing happens, it starts well, but if I change resolution I get a black screen, and there is no way to start the external screen.

here there is both 32bit and 64bit haiku syslog

1 Like

Maybe the same problem as solved here: haiku - Haiku's main repository?

3 Likes

This is because the “Devices” app doesn’t know how if there is a driver for a given device. So it just tries to say “I don’t know”. I thought I had removed this line as it confuses everyone, but apparently I missed some cases. I’ll have another look. You can trust what the screen preferences says.

2 Likes

I made patch to show used driver: https://review.haiku-os.org/c/haiku/+/3390.

4 Likes

But you marked it as WIP. What is the state? Can it be merged or not?

Hi, van you elaborate a bit on that commit? What does it change/fix precisely? I mean the mapping part?

I am finally poking around in app-server to check a few things on unpackaged 64 bit (no UEFI). Your pointer here I probably also have to checkout now.

Ah, I mean this commit:
.https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tag/?h=hrev55310

How did you solve non-booting problem of unpackaged Haiku?

For non UEFI it’s quite simple. Just from a running normal install create a new install with the installer.

When done do not boot it. Just copy all folders from the running install onto the new install, and remove all packages from the packages folder on the new install, except for the loader.

Done, now you can boot it.

This procedure does not work for UEFI as that per se keeps wanting at least haiku.hpkg there thus defeating my purpose.

This must be sitting somewhere in our UEFI loader and in my opinion that should be changed so we can use this trick there as well

I did not solve it myself, got help from someone with experience with this :wink:

7 Likes