Improving the Intel Extreme Driver (Was: Graphics on Dell laptop in Vesa mode only)

Yes indeed, there is not change for my case. The only remarkable change is:
If I switch to 800x600 I will get a dual mirror screen with a black box on the right side. Besides of that it works just fine. I think this was PulkoMandy’s work some time ago. So yes no change here!

P.S.: Someone should change the thread name or splitt this thread… thx

1 Like

Thank you. Could you upload a photo showing the dual mirror incl. black part here?
BTW: Probably a good idea about the thread (name). No idea how you do that though :slight_smile:

I changed the thread title. I left the old one for now, we can remove it later if we want.

4 Likes

Hello all,
so it turns out there is no problem switching the screen mode to 800x 600 as seen in the picture:

As you can see the modes are working. Dual Screen!

2 Likes

Nice! Thank you. So the native resolution is 1024x600 of that internal panel? Officially the driver (were it to actively program dual screen atm, which it isn’t afaik) should center that output. Apart from that this is looking neat!
Is it possible to have the syslog as well ? :wink:
You wouldn’t happen to have a ticket for this computer I guess since there’s no problem…If you have one, you could post it there and let me know, otherwise maybe just post it here or send it to me?

1 Like

Yes,exact. Thats why it is distorted.

syslog:
http://0x0.st/-_dm.png
1024x 768 works too in dual mode, there is no 1024x 600 mode thats why it is distorted. Syslog here: #15665 (intel mobile 945GSE wait_for_retrace does not work (teapot shows black screen)) – Haiku

2 Likes

Thanks! Got it :smile:

2 Likes

Keep up the good work, Rudolf!

2 Likes

Hi!
Is there any hope for me?
I have two gadgets with intel graphics:

1 - Old laptop Acer Aspire 5320 listdev:

device Display controller [3|80|0]
vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
device 2a03: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary)

2 - HP Thik Centre listdev:

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
device 0152: Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller

0152 present in driver.cpp!

1 Like

There are still artefacts when switching to 32bit at the bottom:

strange: the cursor was distorted too, but not on the screenshoot!?
syslog i renewed on my ticket on TRAC. Ticket #15770

1 Like

Hi,

• The 2A03 could be added for a test, it should probably work, I guess depending on:
  • What do you mean by ‘secondary’? You added an extra card which you can remove so it becomes the only gfx card in the system? In order to test the driver that’s probably needed…
  • the 0152 if present could be tried to see what it does. If you do, a syslog would be nice to have from the attempt.
1 Like

Ok, Thanks :slight_smile:

I think things like partly rubbish or black part at bottom or right and/or repeating desktops are probably caused by still missing ‘link’ programming somewhere. This should not happen (or the best shot for you to not have this) is having the desktop at the same settings the icons screen is shown at boot time.

I would expect analog screens to not have this anymore if they are the only connected screen to a card since all programming needed should be in place (in the V4 driver: git still misses a piece for that being panelfitter setup).

1 Like

BTW: I find myself looking a lot at a wiki page for all these cards, Thought I’d share the link:

4 Likes

I hope that the mini dp out of my Lenovo X1 1st Gen, Ivy Bridge , with Intel HD Graphics 4000 in processor will be be supported in the future.
Trac #13478 —> #12964.

Tried your driver V4 on X64:
external monitor: Lenovo Q27q, native res is 2.560 x 1.440

mini dp port cable to dp port at the external monitor --> no picture
mini dp port cable to hdmi adapter and then to hdmi port at the monitor gave the following picture:

That was new to me and did not work before.
Maybe that is not the primary goal of your work but it would be nice to have this working.

Nice :slight_smile:
Please open a ticket, upload this photo and also the syslog there. I will have a look indeed.

Thank you!

1 Like

Also nice that you will look into it.
I attached the picture and syslog at ticket #12964.

1 Like

Hi all, just a quick update after some hours of trying to get a grip on display port connections: this mode of operation is not yet officially supported, setmode code is missing. Apart from that also the displayport DDC channel is not working yet (runs over a displayport aux lane, this is nolonger the ‘normal’ I2C interface as it is on all older connections).
And also the existance of the link is not detected. This is now working, looks like this is just a ‘single bit’ mistake.

For now:

• displayport connections are not supported
  • displayport adapters to HDMI -are- supported. Unfortunately (apparantly) more modern monitors which still have HDMI connectors -do- detect that this runs to a displayport port in the computer and so (apparantly) the protocol that is in use is displayport. Result: does not work.
  • If you have such a screen (so probably all or most which have at least one displayport connector) looks like you’re out of luck for now for full modesetting. Unless of course you can connect using a normal old fashioned analog VGA port.
  • if you have (part of) a desktop with or without distortions using such a displayport link direct, or over HDMI adapters, you could choose to use it for now: but make sure you do so in the boot (icons) resolution, as only that way a distortion-free desktop is possible.

I will have a look if I can find such a screen somewhere so I can test with it at home and set it up later on, but that’s beyond Haiku Beta3 probably.

In the meantime I’m still working on the panelfitter piece that I should commit: nearly done, hopefully I can commit this the coming monday at the latest.

That’s it for now. Thanks for all your help in testing sofar! Of course I’ll ask for more tests soon. Would be nice if this could go on as it is now, as it’s rather fruitfull I think. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Hi rudolfc,

it is possible to add
device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
device 0416: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

it is compined with

device Display controller (3D controller) [3|2|0]
vendor 10de: NVIDIA Corporation
device 1391: GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M]

Display is LGD 15,6"

I test the intel extreme driver,but i get only a black screen.

Regrads lorglas

Hi, This ID sits in the driver already:

{0x0416, INTEL_MODEL_HASM, "Haswell Mobile"},

If you want to see what the driver does, you probably would need to remove or disable the nvidia hardware. Is this an add-on card or is it fixed in the laptop? it’s a laptop, correct?

1 Like

The nividia graphic gard is fix in the Laptop. I must Look if i can deactivate it in the bios.

I take a look at the bios. There is no chanfe to deactivate the nvidia gard.