If you go multi-user will you asked for suggestions?

The official answer to multi-user is not “no”, it’s “not yet”.

I’m not too fond of the UNIX-style admin/user separation, however. xkcd explains this better than I can: https://xkcd.com/1200/

I would rather get inspiration from what Android tries to do: no root access, applications get fine-grained permissions when they need them (to access your webcam, deal with your files, etc), either at installation time or when they first request them. This brings real value in protecting the user data and privacy, much better than a separate root account would. It is also somewhat orthogonal to multi-user support.

1 Like

I think a resizeable container would to the same. So the admin can set the size for every User. This Container should secured by encrytion

haha what if users were just virtual filesystems like the packages but encrypted with a password needed to mount them? you could put them wherever (like on a ramdisk, even) and keep them indexed, it’d be great.

should we unix it up some more, or should we get up to some weird junk?

This is actually how the macOS sandboxing feature work in a way. Applications have a file that has “entitlements” defined that it needs and only allows the applications that access. Though, since macOS is (if anything) bsd like, there still are unix like permissions in the more background side of things.

I’d be happy with having the ability to set a password that would be required at boot before rendering the desktop (much like the screen lock feature).

But this does not protect your userfiles for seeing by other users on the same pc.

I does not want to open all my filesfor seeing by my son.

Maybe what Haiku needs is capability to lock (and encrypt) directory. And when that directory is “home” password must be asked by system at boot before starting desktop.
“multiuser” int this way can happen when users have their own locked-encrypted directories for theirs staff. In that way even we can make different “home” directories, for example “home.john” at boot when he input password system makes link “home” and boots from it, and so on for different “user” or “baron” (home.baron or home.default).

1 Like

I just want the password feature as a simple deterrent.

you can do that in the bios and it’s even better