I want to change to Haiku... and what i need

Yes… it would - but maybe Haiku is the better Operating System concept …and maybe it is better writing software for a slim platform which is not so widely used then Windows/Wine, MacOS, Linux etc.

I am not so sure - thats why i am asking in this forum. And well … it is not a secret, that i just want to write an application and not an Operating System

Are you sure that is a welcoming attitude towards potential new users?. And we all agree that we want more people using Haiku, right? :wink:

6 Likes

I am not so sure, whether i want to work on a platform which is used by billions :)… thats why i want to leave Windows ?`

… but somehow I also do not want to work on a GPLplatform … and particulary not with macOS, which in my opinion is over capitalized and too much expensive for me on an “application layer”

yes i want to use Standard Software and doing some own programming

yes, i just want to run one operating system on a computer

yes … my focus is Desktop and not network programming or “social engineering”

@Mark : My comment was directed at @ccipri, not at
you. I just wanted to advocate for a more welcoming atmosphere towards new users. Which is actually quite good in the Haiku community, especially if you compare it to other places on the internet.

1 Like

In addition to what @humdinger already wrote: Photoshop is a commercial closed source application and will only be availiable for Haiku if Adobe ports it over. Which, if we are being realistic, will never happen. But if you really need it you can try running it on Wine which was ported to Haiku recently.

The main programming target on Haiku is the Haiku API, natively for C++, which is described here The Haiku Book: Welcome to the Haiku Book and in the legacy BeBook (since Haiku started out as an open source reimplementation of BeOS) which you can find here: The Be Book . Since you´re already familiar with a BASIC dialect using Yab could also be an option for you. It´s a BASIC dialect with native access to the Haiku API and an IDE. I can´t tell you more since I don´t use it but there is a small but active developer community using it.

Hope that helps for a start…feel free to ask if you want to know more details.

2 Likes
  1. As named before. Take a look at Krita, i dont know if this software can be a solution conterpart to photoshop at all, but it looks good.
    1a. There is a system own graphic app named Wonderbrush
  2. If i remember correctly Inkscape is available on haiku past some weeks?
  3. Wonderbrush can handle svg files
  4. We have Blender
  5. As named before, take a look at yab, a basic dialect with components to use the Haiku API.
    5a. Here a example that you can do with yab, with some expierience

ImageMagick GUI for Haiku

Welcome to haiku

1 Like

Thanks for Reply…

maybe more suggestions coming in - particulary on the Application developing front :slight_smile:

Windows i was using with VB6 - but just as a frontend for my in multiple languages written DLLs and COMponents.

So my personal choice is - staying with WIN32 or doing something else.
WIN64 is not adressing 32bit DLLs correctly … and many other probs

My anger on this is too big …that i never will rewrite an application on windows.

If i will rewrite for a 64bit promising future platform, then just a slim desktop platform

… and well …viewing YAB without knowing too much what it is doing:

Interpreter BASIC for me is much too slow. I need something to make “QuickandDirty”-GUIs…but if there is no “middleware” concept implemented… i mean at least something like DLL (Dynamic LINK LIBARY), then it will not work for me.
I am writing critical algos in C/Assembler/FORTRAN etc. - whatever. Basic i just need to have an useability for my own code on GUI-Level and fast access to the OS-API

Because i actually dont know too much about HailkuOS - but for me it is a MUSTHAVE for decisionmaking for even trying it out for a minute in my life:

Is there a LINK-Libary concept in YAB ? .,. and what is the main concept in Haiku for Libararies written in multiple languages ? … Is there something like Dynamic Link Libary in Haiku … or better: Component Object Model ?

If i am not able protecting my personal knowledge on a computer … i simple will write a book and not a software <3

The analogous concept for DLL on posixy operating systems is shared libraries, I don’t know what the differences are duo to never having worked with dlls on windows.

The Haiku api is natively written in C++
You can view the api description here:
https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/api/

Well … this probably is exactly what i want to do: “Writing a 3rd party software” - but not with an ASCII-editor.

Beside already existing standardapplications, I also need:

• Iconeditor

• OpenGL obviously is existing

• what is the best CAD tool for Haiku ?

• what is the best texteditor … on Windows i use Notepad++

• what is the best word processing software for Haiku ?

• Is there something like a TranslationMemory Software ?

• is there a standard (beside HTML) for Helpfiles ?

You can look through the packages and sort by category at depot.haiku-os.org. For example, regarding word processing, you can find LibreOffice and Calligra on there.

In the third party software ports you will find a lot of bugs yet a ton of bugs.

You can’t depend on haiku for multimedia work, Haiku is very cool but is not complete yet, very close enough but is not complete yet. Try a double boot and use haiku under your own risk n.n

1 Like

In Haiku there is the basic StyleEdit editor, basic installation also provides Pe (my favored one in Haiku), and you can install Koder (also more advanced editor), if you feel confortable in Terminal, there’s Vi, emacs, nano … (plenty to choose from) :slight_smile:

As suggested, maybe just install it, try it. Install a few apps, see if they work for you. And if you like it but your fav app doesn’t exist, or isn’t working properly, why not make that your first Haiku contribution?
You sound like a proficient developer with enough skills.

1 Like

Yes, you can use libraries in yab, means writing them once and using them in multiple projects.

It occurs to me that I should work on my yab IDE again, I’m going to push the whole thing further there, you can add everything (cases, subroutines, main, loops) to each project there, they are central to the work on disposal.

But yab is Haiku only, the language are only on this system.

More about yab on our knowlege base:

https://besly.de/index.php/en/development/yab/how-to-create-a-shell-tool-gui

And yes you can create fast end easy a GUI then you know that you want to do.

YAB is an interpreted langugage, a dialect of BASIC.

.so files, just like on every *nixes.

There is also lazarus for developing GUI applications with pascal. I don’t know what the current state is but here is the latest thread: Lazarus 1.9 trunk Qt4 and Qt5 interface (screenshots)

If you like VB6 (I used to use that on windows 3.1 too) then it is not far off.

It doesn’t give you a native haiku GUI. But it is cross platform.

What happened to MeTos (GUI-Editor) I liked it much?

I was thinking exactly the same. Thank you for expressing it.

1 Like

seems this thread is becoming vital :slight_smile:

I already had a good application on Win32 … but somehow it is lost in nowhere

What are you recommending for 2D Vectorgraphics programming on Haiku ? … In Windows I was capselling GDI+ what btw, was alot of work … is there a similar concept possible on Haiku ?

What i at least would need is programming 2DVector mulitlayers

What is common sense on Haiku for 2D Vectorprogramming ?

many thanks … if this really all works on Haiku, then i am actually surprised :slight_smile:

but what is the common workflow in Haiku interacting with these apps ?

Is there something like copy/paste or clipboard ?