I just published a brief review of Haiku R1/beta2 on my blog

Following the recent release of Haiku R1/beta2, I decided to write, edit, and publish this quick review using the Haiku operating system for all stages of the process. I include a few thoughts about my personal experience during the process.

16 Likes

It was an interesting reading. Thanks for your review.

1 Like

Nice report @victordomingos! On the sidenote for LibreOffice, did you try to install the langauge packages available?
Libre-Office2

2 Likes

I believe so, but I will give it another shot soon. About one year ago I used LibreOffice to edit an important document, and I believe it was working better on my system back then.

Nice review. The only bit I’m surprised by is that you want emojis in the terminal! I sit at a console all day every day and have never needed them… But then I don’t go near web development, maybe its related to that?!

1 Like

Well, after having seen a few utilities using emoji on console (maybe homebrew, or pipenv), I liked the idea and I even use them in one application I have been developing:

I use them for visual feedback. It’s like a quick and dirty way to build a simple GUI, without needing to write one.

1 Like

Well Windows Terminal supports emojis :slight_smile: As well as SerenityOS’s Termianl.

1 Like

It is a nice Gimmick but not system relevant, could be some 3rd party work?

I am not sure it it would be enough to use a different font. If so, I couldn’t find one that worked as expected, so I suspect the app itself needs some kind of fix.

I don’t think it’s a gimmick, it’s basic Unicode support. Also it enhances terminal output in a pretty beautiful way.

3 Likes

Is there a font supporting emojis? I don’t think so, if they would be monochrom in color?! Not sure about this… but looks nice to see a colorful icon (Warning :underage:, Attention :no_entry:…)

If somebody likes to work on it? Why not! :hugs:
Personaly I dislike emojis and try to avoid them as much as I can. :lying_face:

Ups, sorry to be off topic here! :partying_face:

2 Likes

There is now support for color emojis in fonts indeed. It is done by including PNG files in a ttf font. But Haiku does not know how to display them, yet. But it seems indeed that the topic is a bit controlversial, as much as UTF8/Unicode was when it was introduced, I guess…

2 Likes

Very nice review, thank you. I was just surprised, that you did’nt find an useful e-mail client? (I’m using MailNews and it’s working very stable with SSL/Imap.)

1 Like

I believe it is still not available on 64-bit.

I was referring to the built-in mail features, that I couldn’t get to work properly with Gmail. But I admit I still need to try a few options.

1 Like

Interesting. I always thought it might have been implemented in something like SVG. I wonder why they chose PNG intead.

1 Like

Getting back into this, I was able to install spell checking for Portuguese and I will update my review with a quick note about it. Turns out I had to download an extension from a website and then use the Extension Manager withing LibreOffice to install the spellchecking extension, by selecting the corresponding downloaded file.

What I find strange, and I am not sure this is a bug, is that HaikuDepot already has available some related packages (e.g. myspell_pt), which I had installed but apparently were either not working, or not enough on their own.

2 Likes

Also seen this, had to install the Dutch extention pack for LO for this (hence my earlier comment) :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice review mate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A slightly updated version of this review has been meanwhile published at DZone:

From my side, it was all done on Haiku itself, just like in the original version. I had some hiccups on WebPositive, but I was in fact able to publish it. So, Haiku can in fact be used for some kinds of tasks :wink:

5 Likes