How to exclude apps when building Haiku?

Why would you do that? When we have very easy documentation for non-experienced users on how to do it directly from Haiku here Making a Haiku USB Stick | Haiku Project ?

Thank you for that advice. It worked andā€¦ I discovered that by removing the alternative languages (other than English) to several programs, I reduced the ā€œinternal imageā€ (the content of the 600Mb disk image) quite noticably. However, upon looking again, all the files are right back. :frowning: So, the next time I Jam, all those unwanted translations would be right back and the internal image size would be back to before.

How do I permanantly get rid of any and all non-English languages in my builds? I read a page you wrote about how the language strings are held in source code, then compiled into binary files (I assume the files I removed), and then included in each image. But surely there must be an easier way of getting rid of them. A script (or multiple scripts) does a lot of this work, so there must be an easier way to ā€œcomment outā€ (like with the regular file, to get rid of programs and such I donā€™t want) those alternative languages.

Also, how do I get rid of Vision and Pe? Theyā€™re not in listed in the regular file. Yet, when I tried moving the .hpkg files for both of them, the build failed. Trial and error is one way to learn, but it can get tedious, pretty fast. :smiley:

Itā€™s interestingā€¦ I got the .iso I created to mount and be seen by installer. But when I try to install from the .iso to a 2Gb USB thumb drive, it keeps giving an error. Yet, if I try to install from the boot drive to the thumb drive, it actually tries. And it went for awhile and then quit, saying it ran out of room on the thumb drive. Yetā€¦ shouldnā€™t it have KNOWN not everything on the boot drive could possibly fit on a 2Gb thumb drive? It worked (starting to install) but failed (ran out of space), yet it wonā€™t even start with 600Mb .iso image at all. Weird.

I need clarification, does the USB boot? If so, I have no idea.

Probably you have been already told that it is really hard to understand you. It seems you are jumping back and forth between different topics and dumps your brain into this textfield. So i fear nobody (except you) can actually understand what you meant. We can ofc try to interpret your words somehow, but that results in very subjective, error prone interpretations. If you really want to get useful help, you should formulate your sentences as clear as possible, separating the different topics and explain what you did step by step.

1 Like

Ok, the Anyboot .iso I created by Jamā€™ing the source code, I was able to mount, using the ā€œdiskimage registerā€ command, in Terminal. When I try to install from that image, I get an error message. In other words, Haiku will not let me install Haiku from that image.

Forget the rest of what I said, because it is a bit off-track, topically. My apologies.

You can improve you chances to get a useful help/hint with providing all the information in one post, without requiring us to ask you about possibly-important details like ā€œAnd what was the error message?ā€.

5 Likes

Iā€™m starting over with hrev54010. Iā€™m thinking my Lenovo laptop may have munged something up. Haiku was crashing (KDL) constantly. Often without doing anything.

However, with hrev54010, now I canā€™t get anything. I canā€™t pkgman install. I canā€™t git clone. I canā€™t even use WebPositive! Yet I can go online just fine with Windows 10 and my iPhone, so I know itā€™s not our cable modem/router. Anyone else having similar connectivity issues with this revision? If no one else is, then maybe itā€™s the Netgear wifi extender Iā€™m using to connect my 8-core AMD tower running this revision, to the Internet. It was working fine last night, though.

Oh, just to reduce any confusion, Iā€™m typing this on my Asus Zephyrus G laptop (Windows 10), not the system Iā€™m having issues with (Haiku hrev54010). :smiley:

Well, if you had provided us with pictures of KDL we could at least try to guess whatā€™s going on but now that youā€™ve started over we wonā€™t be able to understand the problem and fix this. Oh, well.

Again, saying that ā€œyou canā€™tā€ something isnā€™t helpful at all. Let me quote @extrowerk here:

You can improve you chances to get a useful help/hint with providing all the information in one post, without requiring us to ask you about possibly-important details like ā€œAnd what was the error message?ā€.

How difficult can it be?

No. It was giving a different KDL every time. It was so unpredictable, it was beyond useless. Even as a beta, I know Haiku is not THAT bad. This is why Iā€™m starting over with a fresh revision. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s either the RAM or the hard drive causing the huge crash-plosion. Also, one reason Iā€™m trying a different system.

Howeverā€¦

At this point Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the Netgear WiFi Extender. I was able to get it to work with my Raspberry Pi 3 and RiscOS by using a static IP address and such. But if I canā€™t get it to work, doing that, then using my 8-core system is a moot point, as it has no WiFi capability apart from hooking it up to the WiFi extender via Ethernet cable.

Iā€™ll report back when Iā€™ve got it sorted out. Until thenā€¦ jump through a wormhole to a different timeline and pretend this never happened. :smiley:

usually i didā€¦ checkfs to fix filesystem error ā€¦ try that

Usually, it is either the HD/SSD or defective memory. I can confirm hrev54010 and R1B1 work fine on my test hardware with web browsing and downloads.

You can do a few things:

1. Have a document of all of the apps/utilities you need for your ā€˜miniā€™ install.
  2. Have a ā€˜removeā€™ script to remove any games/demos/apps/screensavers/etc unwanted.
  3. Retain Haiku docs/faqs for audio/network setup for your hardware.

NOTE: Retain a working list of /system/packages as you work towards your goal. As of today, most of
the packages work OK for daily usage and testing with hrev54010. So, focus on ensuring your hardwareā€™s
memory and HD/SSD are in full working order - without errors. Then, a clean install and test your installs
with the same Haiku revision on your test hardware, Only then should you work on a test system to reduce packages without further updates until you reached a desired reduced set of packages. :cold_face:

As you remove things ā€˜properlyā€™ - the system usually tells you what is affected with each package removal. Document that info. Look for library removals and anything that affects GCC/Clang. There are packages that depend on older library revisions - so donā€™t think that the new library automagically is backward API-compatible. There are other ā€˜gotchasā€™ with removing or working with the kernel/core packages, so document, document, document YOUR custom changes.

Note: Be reasonable of your quest. Fitting Haiku on a 1.44MB floppy or use with 64MB RAM? Have a main goal in which other devs understand like designing a dev workstation, embedded system, kiosk, game console, or appliances - or just getting rid of the extra packages cruft. Helps others guide you to ā€˜yourā€™ goal.

So again - look at the demos/games/toys/screensavers. There are other things but that is by your choice and you could inop your system by disabling coreutils-related binaries (your BASE/CORE system).
So just be careful and have fun tinkering.