How to earn on open source - Where is Haiku in Monetization

Please tell what business model is open source. I ask for that Google, Youtube or Meta ?
Only commercials is aproved? Yes not only it’s ads. Where is clue of this problem?

Sorry but your question is hard to understand.

I’ll try to answer it anyway. Open source is not a business model but a software licensing. There are only different business models built around open source. And Google has afaik both open source and closed source (proprietary) projects. Youtube has (again afaik) no open source software. About Meta I don’t know.

Would you mind to explain in more detail what you mean?

Commercials means ads. Did you really mean ads?

Open Source refers to a development model in which products are created and maintained by a public community, rather than by a single company. The source code for these products is publicly accessible, enabling anyone with the appropriate skills and interest to contribute to the development and improvement of the software

Ahoy @PeterW ,

I just assume also - as unfortunately the topic starter used really a few words for a detailed , well defined question … the origin of the question towards

what business model would fit Haiku to successfully monetize itself as an open source project ?..

The enlisted firms or media channels depends on the 2 possible way how @pvalue can look at them :

a ) as using them somehow for Haiku monetization
- hmm, what’s the best word for - “efforts” (maybe?)

or

b) to look upon them as template / role models how they do their monetization actually

Or the best and simpliest - it was asked what was written :

C)
Which enlisted company follows or does a business model that is acceptable/respectable for an open source technology group - so the Haiku community ? Do make their money from only commercials and ads ?

In this case you had answered yet as in that case the question is wrong as there were terminologies mixed. As we Hungarian says “they mixed up season with fashion”.
As those firms partly may use open source stuff they are not really open (source) societies or even role models in their every movements. They are businesses, not open source communities, however they are all social media firms as well, and social media likes to display itself as “open”, I mean more open as a traditional media surface - like tv, radio, news papers, magazines - anyone can be a blogger /vlogger , setup some podcast, channel, build a community from scratch - needed some technology but hard work can complement big money …
… but they can exclude you anytime referring their rule as well. This is not equal that opennness what open source development means and offer.
There you can exclude yourself only in 3 cases :

1. if you do not have the needed knowledge to write code in any program language or code

2. you had not followed the given license and its term when started to alter or use/reuse existing code (this way stealing intellectual property or other illegal activities if it is not freeware or public domain )

3. you do not have an intent to write code

That’s it.

Otherwise I may make a mistake : rambling on random assumptions …

SO … Of course - these are just guesses from my side. It can be clarified only by the questioner.

Anyway - there were some discussion about monetization and Haiku - here in the forum as well … so I suggest to visit those threads.
And there are some efforts by community members and the Haiku home page also offers several donation possibilities.
Other, than those activities are actually had not covered as noone do Haiku as business - YET. 8D

/ Start joking or JOCKEY EWING …/

The funniest idea about what these questions could also mean – jumped out just right now - as it is opened as “Help topic” :slight_smile:

Can we help the questioner to find a way to one day emerging as a new founder of a … daunting mass enterprise as those … which enlisted?

… but NO, NO it cannot be that …
I do not continue listening to my little devil on my left shoulder –

/ End of joking or JOCKEY EWING …/

You elaborate everything. For me several opinion enough.

It took too much time my answer to conduct edit and typing - this way your answer has inserted menwhile just before mine - this way I seem to lookin’ numb.

Anyway - after that your question is more understandable - I think we had not known open source started to be educated as a business model as well.

Thanks for sharing this new perspective.

For me it is not just new but not as a basically business as business meant for an economist – but really as it was first introduced as a development model.

The ‘product’ was first not a SW product, but a solution - that time the product was an additional service - the support was done for money. The software itself mostly was free and shared for downloading - binaries and source as well.
Of course started to do CD/DVD installers for money, and shirts, caps, mugs but it was later.
The bigger businesses for open source started with server solutions and related services - goverment and firms, labs, science started to use open source developed SWs and then it was necessary to support them more seriously.

Sorry for nitpicking. But to me the question seemed logically wrong.

With the “translation” by @KitsunePrefecture I can understand the question at least a bit. I searched the forum for the word “money” and I got a lot of threads about this topic.

One could sell DVDs with Haiku. But that would be a bit early because Haiku is not totally production stage. But not alpha stage, too.

And there’s Haiku Inc. which is financed by donations if I understand it correctly.

donations and merchandizing.
IMG_5837

2 Likes

Haiku is run by a group of independant developers around the world. Most of us do this without any money in exchange, just for fun or because we want to use the system for ourselves. And we have a paid job elsewhere working on something else.

However, there is also Haiku inc, a non-profit organization which receive donations from users and supporters of the project. Thanks to these donations, they are able to hire one developer full time.

Some of the developers also accept individual donations, for example on liberapay or github sponsors.

1 Like

Ahoy !

Yepp, but as you can see above from answer from @pvalue this is not wrong anymore - we are just a bit outdated.

Now Open Source is also a business model : if you follow the link that pvalue shared above.

It was asked from us what our opinion -

that way

the forum post type should have selected as ‘Off topic’
and
in the first post this link above should have added
and
ask us to discuss about this new approach we can find on the link …

It caused that the first post was a bit messy for us
as we had not met this new perspective
and it had not came up in our mind for ourselvelves independently…

Of course we know this phenomenon as crowdfounding/crowdsourcing
and open source projects like Haiku or ReactOS, etc.
but from ourself we would have not connect them each other and look at them as the same class – slowly.

Just as because the intent in the beginning was different
and that is common that
many person gives

their money
or
their working hours

together to have a 'product’
- - > what they would use after that …
- - - - - - > It is still not equal in our mind.

Crowdfunding , crowdsourcing is still mostly not for fun or for wishing to use something that existed but not available anymoire or want to keep it alive …

To understand why I write about this things …
… I Cut ‘n’ Paste here - below - what can be found on the link above from pvalue

+++
Archetype

See also: Crowdsourcing, Crowdsourcing

( I had removed the canvas here - it was not displayed correcrly anyway.
You can check out on original link above.)

How: Make your source code or product blueprint freely accessible for anyone under an Open Source licence. Let everyone contribute to the design and use it for free.

Why: Besides helping to open up a large user base, the collaborative production model of Open Source can help widen human capital invested and in turn help increase diversity of ideas and surface better solutions than if you were on your own.

Open Source refers to a development model in which products are created and maintained by a public community, rather than by a single company. The source code for these products is publicly accessible, enabling anyone with the appropriate skills and interest to contribute to the development and improvement of the software. As a result, the solutions developed through this process belong to the public at large, rather than to any single organization. Open Source products are also typically freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute.

The Open Source development model also provides a number of advantages for companies that choose to adopt it. One key benefit is that it eliminates the need for significant upfront investment in the development of new products. The community-driven nature of Open Source development means that much of the work is carried out voluntarily by passionate individuals, rather than by paid developers. As a result, companies can leverage the collective brainpower of the community to create better solutions than might be possible through proprietary development models. Furthermore, Open Source development is free from dependencies on suppliers, giving companies greater flexibility and control over their technology stack.

+++

I think here lies the important part of this “lesson” - that might discuss related to Haiku – even the community … but especially the boarding team

+++

The biggest challenge with Open Source as a business model is not creating value, but capturing it.

When designing an Open Source business model, it is important to ensure that at least some of the created value remains with the originating company.

There are a number of different opportunities for income generation using the Open Source model, including:

• Selling support and consulting services. Companies can offer paid support and consulting services to help customers troubleshoot and optimize their use of the Open Source software.
  • Developing and selling additional products. Companies can develop and sell additional products that build upon or integrate with the functionality of the Open Source software.
  • Offering hosted or managed services. Companies can provide hosted or managed versions of the Open Source software, which can be especially appealing for customers who want the convenience of having someone else handle the technical details.
  • Selling training and education. Companies can offer training and education to help customers become more proficient in the use of the Open Source software.
  • Creating proprietary add-ons. Companies can create proprietary add-ons or plug-ins that extend the functionality of the Open Source software, and sell access to them.

Opportunities for income generation can vary depending on the specific open source software, the industry and use-case as well as the legal and economic climate. However, the main idea behind all this is to monetize the open source software without limiting its accessibility and freedom, which is the main principle of the open source movement.

+++

There’s another Haiku Inc. out there that is a for-profit organization that deals with cybersecurity. I don’t know if that’s cause for concern (or confusion).

1 Like