How necessary install Haiku

At forums I read as to install Haiku, but it is impossible to me…
Here, that I made:

• I’m loaded with BeOS MaxEd (install mode)
  • Install BeOS Max on a disk + I install loader BeOS
  • I’m loaded with BeOS MaxEd (livecd mode)
  • Delete all files on partition with BeOS Max
  • Mount Haiku raw-image
  • Copy all files with raw-image on BeMax partition…
  • and Haiku it does not wish to be loaded-> why???

When we can boot and install haiku from CD ?

I do not understand why developers so CD/DVD hesitate with creation Haiku Install…
In fact if will be Haiku CD then this OS will be even more popularly and will even more receive greater use on users desktop…
I now address to developers: Please create a command which will be engaged installer for OS Haiku…

dragon.djanic wrote:
I do not understand why developers so CD/DVD hesitate with creation Haiku Install... In fact if will be Haiku CD then this OS will be even more popularly and will even more receive greater use on users desktop..

The reason why we don’t yet have any CD images for testing is exactly this: we will become more popular very quickly. Sounds strange? :slight_smile:
Well, the problem is that Haiku is not ready for the masses. We don’t have a working netstack. USB support is not complete. There are still plenty of bugs to kill. If people tried Haiku in its current state they would be so disappointed that they will not consider trying again in the near future. We want to show something when we actually have something to show. You must at least be able to browse the net with Firefox and access your USB stick without major instability problems. Only then we will be able to convince users to keep an eye on Haiku.

It is good, then we shall wait for the stable version. But the Admin why at me Haiku it can not be loaded? Look a post above…

Did you try to boot BeOSMax from HDD? Did that work?

How far does Haiku boot?

Which error is showing up when booting Haiku?

I’m sorry, it is my mistake… I not correctly used bootman…

But nevertheless Waldemar, I think, that it is necessary to lay out ISO image Haiku CD. Because, users will use more Haiku and to find not visible/not stipulated bugs in OS, and Haiku on stable release becomes even faster.

dragon.djanic wrote:
But nevertheless Waldemar, I think, that it is necessary to lay out ISO image Haiku CD. Because, users will use more Haiku and to find not visible/not stipulated bugs in OS, and Haiku on stable release becomes even faster.

This is the primary difference between "Alpha" and "Beta" software. Once Haiku is "Beta" (feature-complete, yet buggy) - it will very likely be released in ISO form… in the meantime, it is still "Alpha" (not even complete) - and the Haiku team does not wish to unleash it upon the "masses" until it is at least complete.

Until then, they would very likely be unable to handle the large influx of bug reports anyway, and "testers" would simply become frustrated at the amount of time it takes to fix their bugs due to the remaining features that need to be implemented.

In other words, it would not speed up development, it would just create a huge number of bugs. In the end, it would take the same amount of development effort to fix the bugs and complete the missing pieces - and it could in fact slow things down if developers continually shift focus between bug fixing and and finishing the OS.

Patience is key :slight_smile:

umccullough wrote:
Patience is key :)

OK, thanks.