High-performance 3D on Haiku

It is mostly a benchmark of memory bandwidth, not 3D rendering.

2 Likes

Then I would argue that we should try to push the boundaries of what it does and can do. What version of OpenGL does it represent in its current form? Is it displaying everything it can? Is it maximizing the rendering capabilities of that OpenGL version? Obviously, itā€™s using Mesa, the open-source representation of OpenGL, but still.

Why not really push things to the limit and show what we can do with Mesa 22.whatever? Letā€™s see just how much we can do with software rendering right now. Why not? People (Demo Crews) create demos to show off capabilities of hardware. The Care Bears (TCB) did it for the Atari ST. Other people still do it for Windows or other platforms. Why canā€™t we do something to really impress people with what software rendering can do in Haiku?

OpenGL 4.6 API compatibility. Also, Vulkan 1.3 API compatibility.

Several Vulkan/OpenGL-based demos and games are already ported to Haiku and mentioned in the forum. Really Slick Screensavers and the Sascha Willems Vulkan demos are good.

Where are they? I am looking on the SoftwareDepot and not seeing those names or types of programs.

Example:
https://depot.haiku-os.org/#!/?bcguid=bc1-JKYS&repos=haikuports&arch=x86_64&incldev=false&viewcrttyp=ALL&srchexpr=3D

Where are these, specifically? I still donā€™t see them.

1 Like

The implication was that these demos and such were already available to download for Haiku, not something I had to build from sources. I know Jam, but how do I build these?

2 Likes

It is CMake project, so you need to use something like mkdir -p build; cd build; cmake .. -G Ninja; ninja to build. It is intended to be sample source code to learn how to write applications that use Vulkan API, it is not intended for end user.

2 Likes

Well, I can confirm, Lugaru eats up all cores/threads (100%) on my Kabylake CPU at 1280x1024 windows with several effects enable (even minimally). I can get it down to about 90% total usage, if I run it in a 640x480 windows with all effects disabled. Need to test Nanosaur nextā€¦

1 Like

Ok, Nanosaur is definitely a lower-specā€™d game, as it has nothing but anti-aliasing (I maxed it out to 8x) and one size of Windowed mode (640x480, I assume). And it was using about 25% of my entire CPU (threads all bouncing around). But Iā€™m curious as to how many triangles itā€™s pushing, since itā€™s not using hardly any OpenGL effects. Just textures. Itā€™s a fun game, but I need to bone up on how to play it properly.

1 Like

See:

I actually got GLTeapot past 2401 FPS (i.e. using software rendering only) on a basic system w/ Intel HD 4600 IGP.

I tested SuperTuxKart on my old Y2010 x86 laptop with 1GB memory and a 1.7Ghz dual-core processor.

@X512 ran Vulkan demos and a Xonotic game with Mesa 22.2.0-devel and the new RadeonGfx driver.

We have other demos for benchmarking alreadyā€¦

Expected speedup: Depends, usually 2x-11x overall performance increase (see notes) depending on screen resolution and other factors. On BeOS 5.0.3, Iā€™ve seen GLTeapot run at 4552 FPS.

Note: Based on my reviews on Intel HD Graphics 4600, Intel Arc A770 (16GB), AMD Radeon RX 590, and AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX.

2 Likes