Help a former Be employee recover some source code

i have not installed fuchsia, but i am adjacent to it: my full-time job these days is writing Flutter code. and again, i think fuchsia is an interesting project! it is not out of the question that google may someday use it to replace android. if and when that happens, i may well become a fuchsia developer by default.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s me, now pleased to not have any need to work on computers but still a little interested in languages. Dart, even - I mean, canā€™t say I recall ever hearing of it before, but it looks interesting at first glance. Obviously more productive than C++, could hardly be less robust. The awkward thing about Haiku and C++ is that we have practically two different languages here - early C++ from BeOS, and modern C++ hovering overhead.

1 Like

Any news here?

1 Like

@allen_brunson did you make any progress with recovering the old source codes?
Thereā€™s currently no working graphical Usenet Newsreader available for Haiku,only a CLI application that isnā€™t much fun to use.
Iā€™m very interesting in bringing a old newsreader back to life.
Initially I looked at NewsBe,for which the source code is already available,but Pineapple News seems to have many more features and a better user interface.
It would be helpful for me to know if thereā€™s still a chance to recover the Pineapple News source code,or if itā€™s gone and I have to go with NewsBe instead.

3 Likes

Guys any progress with this?

1 Like

Hey @Nipos - have you gotten anywhere with the news reader? Iā€™d be keen to get a copy if you have a 64 bit version working. Also - really off topic - noticed you are involved with the Haiku/Be bbs thingy. Have you ever gotten ANSI-capable telnet/ssh terminal software like syncterm working for haiku 64? I followed a path down an internety archive rabbit hole to find the Haiku syncterm executable from about 2016 - but I suspect it is 32 bit as it would not run - will have to dig up my 32 bit haiku lappy and test.

No,I did not make any progress here,unfortunately.
Last time I did Haiku stuff,I was near finishing my other project,but currently Iā€™m totally busy with web development again as I have some new projects that I do together with a friend.
And yes,Iā€™m a user of the Haiku BBS thingy,but I use it with Haikus default Terminal application.
That works quite good for me,even ASCII art is shown mostly correct,if you mean that.
Alternatively thereā€™s also KDE Konsole available in the HaikuDepot which works fine with the BBS as well.

1 Like

Hey there - thanks for the response - wow - BBS screens are showing up much better in the current terminal build - it has been some time since I tried and I had made the incorrect assumption that things would still look the same (as I should not have, as I did note the comment re ANSI improvements.). OKJ - happy with that for now. Best of luck with your projects - and let us know if you ever get a news reader firing :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are USB to SCSI adapters on ebay, youā€™d have to get a cable or adapter to adapt to 50pin thoughā€¦ not a huge deal. Would take about $200 worth of parts to do it but USB really is the easiest way to do it on a modern machine.

The USB to SCSI adapters are plentiful on ebay for around $160 most of them should work fineā€¦