Have anybody experience to install Haiku on an USB-stick?

Anybody experice, to install Haiku on an USB-stick?
Currently I have only burned Haiku on DVD and I have written it to an USB-stick with “dd”:
https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/installing/making_haiku_usb_stick
The advantage: I know what “dd” do, that there don’t do something wrong.
The disadvantage: The Anyboot-images are limited on size, because it must fit on a DVD, too. So, if the USB stick have 16 GB or more, the partition using only a little part of the USB space.
And with GPated (the current version, don’t support BeFS) I can see, how little the partition is.

But there is an additional possibility to bring Haiku on an USB-stick:
https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/installing/prep-partitions
The advantage: Then the full USB-stick space will be used.
The disadvantage currently: I never have used it. I fear, that the installer could write the partition with its filesystem on the USB-stick, but the MBR on the harddrive.That would be a disaster.

So, have anybody tried out to install Haiku on an USB-stick?
And do you can say, that the installer don’t modify the hard drive, when I select the USB-drive?

Regards
theuserbl

Maybe if you have 2 USB sticks, one to boot Haiku from (can be small), and a second one to install Haiku on, but formatted to the full size of the stick. Boot the first stick, then partition and format the second stick, and run the Installer to set up the second stick (it basically copies all the files from the first stick, so it’s pretty simple and fast).

I install Haiku onto USB sticks a lot. But I don’t like dd and I am lazy so I use an extra step. I download a nightly ISO image, burn that onto a CD, boot from the CD, then reformat the USB as BFS, and install Haiku onto the USB stick. It works great. The only down side is that it required a blank CD each time. Fortunately they are still cheap and plentiful around here.

There is no problem installing to an USB drive. If you select the right drive in Installer, the boot code will be written there. Actually, the Installer does not write the MBR, that is up to DriveSetup. So the installer only writes inside the partition you select.

I should mention another alternative: after copying the image to an USB stick with dd (or, on recent Linux systems, even with cp: cp haiku-anyboot.image /dev/sdX), you can boot Haiku, then create a second partition with DriveSetup. There, you can put all your data. The main partition will still be a little small if you plan to install lots of software, however.

I discovered when using dd to write the anyboot images ot the usb stick that i first had to zero out what was on my usb stick or else the bootloader didn’t see the partition. i used something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

This can happen if the disk was previously formatted with GPT. Unlike the old partitionning scheme, GPT has data at both the start and the end of the disk. Since anyboot is smaller than your USB stick, it will not erase the end part, and the bootloader may still detect it and try to use it.

In that case, it should be enough to erase the few last sectors, not the whole stick.

If you have only one flash drive, simply partition your computer’s main hard drive with about 10GB free space where you can install Haiku OS. Boot from the flash drive and then install it onto that 10GB partition you made. Once it’s installed, there should be an installer app. Format the flash drive and then run the installer app on the flash drive. You will have a Haiku OS flash drive that you can boot into that’s not a live CD, but rather acting as a hard drive. You will have most of the 16GB free to store files. You can then delete the 10GB partition or keep it, that part doesn’t matter.

QEMU is very simple to install to the U disk

It’s “Haiku” not “Haiku OS”, please. Unless you also say “Linux OS” and “Windows OS”.

How do you differentiate between “Haiku” the OS and “Haiku” the company, if you don’t add “OS” at the end? There is always “context” to differentiate, but for those less knowledgable (but also that know the same name applies to both), it helps to add that little bit of info. I certainly am not offended if it’s stated as “Haiku OS”. We, who are “in the know”, already know that “OS” is not part of the actual name. But we may be trying to clarify which “Haiku” we are talking about… just in case. :smiley:

1 Like

Because the “company” (actually a non-profit organization) is called “Haiku, inc” to avoid the confusion already?

How do you differenciate between “windows” the OS and “windows” the thing that you open and close (in other operating systems or in buildings)? Certainly not by calling one Windows OS. Only if you do that, I’ll accept “Haiku OS” too.

I wasn’t meaning to upset anyone, but Haiku is an operating system, and when you do a Google search for “haiku operating system” it will show up as “Haiku OS” on the first result. Furthermore, the website name is haiku-os.org. Haiku is also based on BeOS, which includes OS in the name. In my opinion, Haiku OS is a good name because it properly describes what Haiku actually is.

I would like to agree to disagree, since in the end the addition of the words operating and system to the end of the name doesn’t hurt anyone, and everyone still understands what we’re talking about.

EDIT: grammar fix

1 Like

Have a look at the websites.

linux.com (not the official side of Linux, but is also mentioned on the official side at kernel.org )
haiku-os.org

How long as the Haiku operating system is not shown, if you call haiku.org, then you can also say Haiku.

Sorry for offtop.
Can I still call “Haiku” Operating System by its original name OBOS or OpenBeOS?
(How russians say: “клин клином вышибают”)

– In my opinion ”Haiku”, “Haiku OS” and “Haiku Operating System” are synonymous. Yes, "Haiku” is legal registered mark, but this is only narrow specific legal system sphere. People can talk more freely. In some cases even “OS” is enough.
…People can use even slang, russians do: ”Гайка” (screw-nut, female screw).

Your help buying haiku.org is welcome. It has been on domain parking for years, and they want something like $5000 for it. We have better things to do with Haiku, inc funds.

We have also sent a request to Google search to stop calling it “Haiku OS”.

As I said, when there is possibility for confusion, you can say “the Haiku OS” (and that was the same for “the BeOS”, you can find a book called “programming the Be Operating System” for example).

When someone else start a distro, it is a haiku? but is not haiku os.(?

It would be a good idea to try to replace “Haiku Project” by “Haiku Operating System” in the tag. Maybe Google will pick it up, instead of crafting its own.

They will never learn this, it is a wrong mis-name that has made itself independent. This will probably not be able to change.

What about Haiku* where * is anything under the sun.