Hardware Tests

I would find it nice if more people, who have access to hardware, could test this with Haiku. I
would not encourage anyone to risk his job to make these tests, but if there is a possibility to do this in consultation with the boss or salesman, this would be a great asset for the community.

A good example is the blog of Chaotic:

http://aspeers.blogspot.de

We put these tests on our knowledge base and expanded them, so you can see at a glance which of the main components are supported and which are not (Thanks toChaotic).

http://www.besly.de/menu/search/archiv/artikel/chaotic_hardwaretests.html

There is now an unofficial hardware list:

http://www.besly.de/menu/search/archiv/misc/haiku-hardware_compatibility_list.html

Many thanks to Chaotic for his 83 hardware tests he has carried out since 2011. We need more such an approach.

I would also be glad if you then also in addition to the tests also the data of the hardware via BeSly System Analysis Tool would gather and collect.

http://besly.de/menu/search/archiv/misc/beslysat_eng.html

Would be a great thing for the GSoC too.

1 Like

Hi Lelldorin,

I attempted to install BeSly System Analysis Tool from your repository,
but when I launch it i just get an error:

Iā€™m running Haiku hrev51051 GCC2_Hybrid.

Installing YAB helps:

2 Likes

Ok, this did the trick.

@lelldorin: Iā€™ve sent you my hardware report!

1 Like

Database lacks desktop motherboard entry and video integrated or not (in separate card), also ā€œNameā€ entry not enough definite.
And I made mistake (DD3)ā€¦

Send me your data and make a note of the changes I need to make. At the moment there is no editing function in BeSlySAT.

If you have additional information that is important, then enter it under Notes.

@lelldorin: I repackaged your HPKG by edit the .packageinfo file

FROM

requires {
        yabbesly
}

TO

requires {
        yab
}

And installs fine at the first attempt.
I noticed that the yabbesly package contains the same files as ā€œyabā€ from HaikuPorts: the same binaries and libraries; furthermore the yab package from HaikuPorts has more chances to be updated to the latest version :slight_smile:

Kind regards.

I was thinking that your app deserves a better icon, instead of a generic icon, so, if you are glad about the fact to add an icon to your app, I made/composed an icon about, which recalls the ā€œhardware infoā€ thing:

You can download the HVIF icon from here:

http://softwaredepot.altervista.org/upload/HardwareInfo_ICON.hvif

3 Likes

Very cool, i will add it by time

Hello Giova84! What tool do you use to create that icon? Just Icon-O-Matic or previously created the SVG with another app?

Thanks!

This time I just grabbed a pair of premade HVIF icon, and I composed them in Icon-O-Matic, but in past I used autotrace (I have the Haiku binary for autotrace) and WonderBrush to make HVIF icons.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Giova!

For now, just DD3 > DDR3, please.

Iā€™ve used WonderBrush several times to create SVGs I can turn into HVIFs. Quite a bit of tweaking is needed in I-O-M, especially as the SVG shapes arenā€™t nametagged, but itā€™s a lot easier overall.

I didnā€™t know about autotrace, but I just grabbed it from BeShare. Have had variable success with it initially. The first simple logo I tried got converted to SVG beautifully, but another that looked almost identical came out a total mess! Only handles formats like TGA and PBM, and wants to crash a lot. The source came with the hpkg, though, so maybe something could be done with it. Would be highly useful.

autotrace sounds like it should be wrapped into a translator, right?

1 Like

Sometimes I also used VectorMagic on Windows, and it works quite well, furthermore has a GUI and is more simple.

That would be definitely a good idea!

Can you send me your data file again, i does not can find it

This is really off-topic for this topic, butā€¦

Indeedā€¦ Turns out that even though it only handles formats like TGA and PBM, it isnā€™t even very accomodating with those! I couldnā€™t resist playing some more, and I eventually tamed it a bit.

The insight came when I realized that the TGA file that worked had actually been created on the BeBox nearly 20 years ago! All the new ones I tried ā€“ created with ArtPaint, or using ImageMagick ā€˜convertā€™ to transform a PNG into TGA ā€“ gave garbage SVGs. And what all the latter have in common is that they have an alpha channel! When i finally used convert on a (high quality) JPG, that also worked.

So the solution, if the original has alpha, is to use, e.g.:

ā€œconvert logo.png -alpha off logo.tgaā€

Then autotrace can be quite good at generating an SVG. In fact I was a bit astonished to find that a fairly ā€˜realisticā€™ portrait turned into a handsome HVIF ā€“ if one is willing to live with an ~11K icon!

1 Like

I have repackages the yabbesly package, because i does not have fun to rebuild all my packages at the moment. i will change this in the future then i make a new build of any program (time by time).