Hardware recommendations

Hi guys, firstly it’s awesome that this project is continuing - I used BeOS back in the day. I wanted to ask if there was a supported list of laptops/netbooks that work with Haiku; only that I’ve tried a few laptops booting from a USB stick, but the touch pad, wi-fi, and multi-monitor via HDMI doesn’t work.

Any suggestions?

3 Likes
1 Like

And this one

https://www.besly.de/index.php/de/hardware/besly-system-analysis-tool

And older list here (2011-2016)

https://www.besly.de/index.php/en/hardware/unofficel-compatibility-list

@lelldorin Any chance we could integrate the System Analysis tool with @apgreimann’s computer list?

1 Like

So… from looking at his lists, yeah we’d have a larger list if we merged efforts, but after Beta3 comes out, we’d also have different software. Like atm with mine, everything is just text coming in through Google Forms since I started the list around 2018, and while I still plan to keep using Forms, there’s also some software I’m working on to help me with processing everything :slightly_smiling_face: BeSly uses the SAT (System Analysis Tool) which would make fusing them interesting… but hey, I’m open to whatever you guys think too

1 Like

Many newer touchpads use I2C as the protocol to the machine and the support for that is in early stages in Haiku. For wifi probably also newer machines probably have a chipset which is not supported by Haiku. For what it is worth Haiku has a translation layer that allows it to use FreeBSD wifi drivers, so looking at what FreeBSD supports might be helpful. As for multi-monitor that is also not really supported yet, both at the lower driver level and at the higher level of the application server.

So to improve your chances of getting a working laptop you may have to look at some slightly older machines for now, and only expect that the internal screen will work. Using a desktop might also improve chances of things working. I have a pretty new Ryzen based desktop that runs Haiku pretty well.

Also as a final point rarely is even basic accelerated video supported, and 3D is not yet supported at all. These are known issues and the project wants to fix them but they are tough problems and we still have lower hanging fruit.

2 Likes

GER

Eine Zusammenarbeit wäre wünschenswert, aber wir gehen verschieden vor. Ich für meinen Teil möchte den Leuten vor allem Hardware nennen die mit Haiku funktioniert. Die Liste der kompletten Systeme ist nett aber wer garantiert das diese immer 100% die gleichen Bauteile nutzen? Ich liste sie mit auf aber interessanter ist doch welche Einzelteile in Haiku funktionieren.

Ausserdem gehe ich davon aus das die Hardware die schon einmal funktionierte auch weiterhin unterstützt wird, zumindest die Treiber dafür verfügbar sind (so eine Datenbank fehlt).

Die andere Idee in meiner App ist das Leute benennen was läuft und wie es läuft. Was bringt mir eine Komplett- System Liste wenn die Probleme nicht benannt sind?

Auch möchte ich mit der App Bug-Reports unterstützen, da man die eingetrageben Infos exportieren und am Bug-Report anhängen kann.

Meine App sollte auch für Entwickler interessant sein, da diese darüber vielleicht die Infos erhalten die Diese zur Entwicklungen von Treibern benötigen.

ENG

Cooperation would be desirable, but we take different approaches. For my part, I would mainly like to tell people hardware that works with Haiku. The list of the complete systems is nice, but who guarantees that they always use 100% the same components? I list them, but what is more interesting is which parts work in Haiku.

I also assume that the hardware that has already worked will continue to be supported, at least the drivers for it are available (such a database is missing).

The other idea in my app is to let people name what’s going on and how it’s going. What good is a complete system list if the problems are not named?

I would also like to support bug reports with the app, as the information entered can be exported and attached to the bug report.

My app should also be of interest to developers, as they might get the information they need to develop drivers.

1 Like