Hardware graphics acceleration port idea

This DRM-KMS will be ports from fBSD?

Initial implementation can be done even without hardware acceleration driver. It is possible to implement software backend addon and software compositor. Video card driver should provide frontbuffer swapping and retrace semaphore. It allows to implement buffer passing, synchronization mechanisms and update regions management (it is done differently for buffer swapping based rendering, see this article). As some benefit it would give tearing-free rendering.

8 Likes

apply with haiku foundation for a contract to tackle it, you seem to have the skills required.

Personally, I think it’d be awesome if you brought over the AMD driver. AMD might even help.

4 Likes

Just a quick interjection here: if OpenGL acceleration is successfully implemented, a driver for NVIDIA GPUs such as the Quadro FX 3700M (i.e., from 2009 onward) would be nice as well. My ThinkPad (primary computer) has a Quadro FX 3700M, and was manufactured just before the advent of Intel iGPUs, so at the moment I’ve got no choice but to use VESA under Haiku, with no hardware acceleration. Not the best situation, since I mostly only use that machine for gaming. Just a thought; I realize that it may be difficult to actually make it happen. I don’t have the necessary skill to attempt it myself, so I figured it was worth asking about.