Haiku WebKit port patchset

Yes it is working, It’s the repo I have been hacking around on for a bit now.

(It also allowed me to read most of the haiku specific code in one run to get a bit of an overview)

Reviewed on 2021-02-22:

1. Forked haiku/haikuwebkit
    Tested building x86_64 haiku and haiku-newservicekit branches (WebKit 612.1.1). :+1:
    Updated forked master, haiku, and haiku-newservicekit to Webkit 612.1.5, latest upstream 2/23/2021. Further work and review needed on Webkit 612.1 builds.

2. Webkit2
    The “haiku_webkit2_gsoc2019” branch will not result in a working browser. Still based on a older Webkit branch (i.e. before Webkit 610).

NOTE:

• rebased (old branch) based on Webkit 611.1.8.
  • webkit2 (old branch) based on Webkit 609.1.11.
  • haiku_webkit2_gsoc2019 (new branch) based on Webkit 608.1.30. :thinking:
1 Like

Any reason in posting this again and again?

Haiku_WebPositive-611.1.8
WebPositive using WebKit 611.1.8 on Haiku R1B2

WebPositive-611.1.8_Youtube
YouTube playback using Haiku’s WebPositive w/WebKit 611.1.8 on Haiku R1B2

@Diver - Progression. The info is not exactly repetitive, as various people explained the status of the WebPositive repo as well as the status and progression of the legacy Haiku patches during this thread - now built and tested up to WebKit 611.1.10. Some people like to see the code, others like to see the progression… like LibreOffice…

8 Likes

…appreciate the progress… did the progress effect on current webpositive on depot?

No, for two reasons:

• cocobean did not submit any patches so we can integrate their changes. It’s all only forum posts with almost no info about what was done.
  • The current webkit code uses new app_server APIs that were introduced after beta 2, and so cannot be built in the current buildbots which are still running beta2. The update will be released at the same time as beta 3.
3 Likes

I’ll volunteer to play the fool here. Why is Cocobean’s work not submitted? Is the work based on code that Haiku is not using? Just curious.

They did not open a PR or used any other way to let devs know ‘here this code can be used to do x’

Not sure what cocobeans repo does really, the webkit2 branch that is just there to have the history seems to rebase webkit onto the branch, no idea why though

Hey cocobean, what would it take to get your work accessible to other devs so that improvements to WebPositive can be made? Unless you do not want to do that, not sure.

See: https://github.com/kenmays/haikuwebkit

1. haiku_newservicekit - Forked. Migrated to Webkit 612.1.6. Repatched.
  2. haiku_webkit2_gsoc2019 - Forked. Migrated to Webkit 608.5.12. Repatched.
  3. haiku_webkit2_newservicekit - Haiku Webkit2 repatching project. Webkit 612.1.6-based

These are current to the latest upstream branches as of today.

5 Likes

Ref: GitHub - haiku/haikuwebkit: Official Haiku fork of the WebKit repository
I pushed the latest Haiku changes to my recent fork of Webkit 612.1.18 on hrev55144 from Haiku. The Webkit 612.1.18 (current) on a clean Haiku build seems good up to almost linking the JavaScriptCore library - but I had one issue to review. I see only 55 bugs reported on WebPositive.

I’ll post that issue soon. Seems I get the same issue with the HaikuWebkit 612.1.16 haiku branch.

No major roadblocks with compiling Webkit 612.1.18 as of today.

5 Likes

Hey, WebKit bugs are no longer counted towards WebPositive, I had moved some tickets to the new kit/webkit component previously and Pulkomandy moved a whole bunch if them recently aswell.

There are currently 89 issues open for webkit
https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=new&status=reopened&component=^Kits%2FWeb+Kit

(also i see 101 tickets for webpositive)

1 Like

I can reply here. I have received some pull requests but it was impossible for me to tell what had been modified and what was just including changes from upstream WebKit. So I could not properly review it. Eventually I feel more confident doing the rebasing myself. As far as I know, I am not very far behind the upstream version, with merges every 15 days or so (when Apple tags a new WebKit version).

3 Likes

Understood, Anyhow, I uploaded the updated recipe to Haikuports used to build from your earlier Webkit 611.1.8 port.

1 Like

There is a reason this was not done yet.

The current haikuwebkit code does not compile on Beta 2 because it uses some new app_server APIs that are not yet available there. So it cannot be built on the current haikuports builders (which are runnign beta2). The recipe update will be done as part of the beta3 release process, after we have updated the builders to a pre-beta3 system which can build haikuwebkit.

1 Like

haikuwebkit-612.1.21
haikuwebkit-612.1.21_gerrit
haikuwebkit-612.1.21_vaccine

Haikuwebkit 612.1.21 build on Haiku R1B3 (hrev55201) x86_64

haikuwebkit-612.1.22-haikuinc_cocobean
Updated: HaikuWebkit 612.1.22 on Haiku R1B3 x86 (June 30, 2021).

3 Likes

hrev55201 is nightly, not beta3.
Is this haikuwebkit 1.8? that version looks like a webkit tag (but we have our own version so a bit harder to see which you mean).

Have you managed to resolve the build issue?

1 Like

Haikuwebkit 612.1.21 (see: Gerrit screenshot). Yes, I’m writing up some notes.
Hope we can capture all of the intel extreme driver fixes for R1B3 though…

I am still confused what version you mean by that, haikuwebkits latest version is 1.8, is this a rebased patch set?

Looking forward to seeing what the build issue was. :)

Yes. Haikuwebkit 1.8.0 (Webkit 612.1.20) + Webkit 612.1.21 updates (i.e. my haikuwebkit fork adds the latest Webkit upstream pull) = Haikuwebkit 1.8.1 (612.1.21, just my own fork tagging for reference, unofficial)…

1 Like