Haiku to mentor 3 interns in Outreachy and GSoC | Haiku Project

Agreed. It’s not actually that much money when you look at it as an hourly rate. The chance of getting another developer is worth that.

And also, as of the 2017 financial report, Haiku Inc has $75,758.15 and spends less than $5,000 a year. I haven’t heard of a flood of proposals coming through. So it’s not like this is taking money away from other more important projects.

What was finally delivered by the Outreachy internship? Did we get the new preferences panel finished?

Yes, the work was completed as planned, you can read Preetpal’s blog on it here:
https://preetpalk.wordpress.com

Try it using “jam -q Input”

It is not integrated in Haiku yet because it uncovered problems in the underlying input_server management: phantom input devices show up, or existing devices do not get exposed properly (for example my mouse also creates a “keyboard” device).

Preetpal also plans to attend FOSDEM and our next coding sprint using the Outreachy conference travel grant she got from the project. She may also work on a research paper with her university to extend her work on Haiku, so you may hear more from her in the coming months.

9 Likes

In that case, we can chalk it up to a success. While I’d state Indian developers are hardly rare in IT in the UK or the US (the majority of Barclays’ IT staff in NY/NJ are from there) this is good news nonetheless. I look forward to her continued contributions.