Haiku on phones should not have separate mobile and desktop mode

Third-party applications and games for Windows Phone can be based on XNA, a Windows Phone-specific version of Silverlight, the GUI-based Windows Phone App Studio, or the Windows Runtime, which allows developers to develop an app for both the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store simultaneously

Doesn’t sound like there was complete separation of desktop and mobile apps.

Also as far as current concepts are concerned, mobile mode won’t have third-party apps at all. Mobile mode is as of the moment, only like a basic phone OS.

You can pick on details all you want, but the fact is Microsoft tried both strategies, and neither worked.
The same is seen in the X desktop; KDE and GNOME are both trying different approaches to mobile interfaces, and neither work very well.

Meanwhile, Android and iOS were designed to be mobile operating systems from the ground up, and their market share speaks for itself.

Not really that much different at the high-level, which is convergent applications (Kirigami and libadwaita respectively).

MS didn’t really go far enough to separate desktop and mobile, even with WP.

MS didn’t really go far enough to separate desktop and mobile, even with WP.

So, virtually all applications being separate is “not far enough?”

No, it wasn’t virtually all applications were separate. MS let app devs use the same codebase to deploy apps for both desktop and mobile.

Anyways this is starting to get into an unproductive argument about semantics, so it’s prolly best to stop here.

MS let app devs use the same codebase to deploy apps for both desktop and mobile.

“let” does not mean it actually happened on any significant scale. How many programs used MS Silverlight in the first place?

And if Haiku forces application developers to keep both separate, who will develop the mobile variants of all the programs that currently come with Haiku on the desktop? It’s easy to sit on a couch and draw mockups all day long, but when the amount of desktop software and drivers being ported to Haiku is not even enough to make it a viable daily operating system for most people (not to mention the virtually nonexistent amount of new software being written for Haiku, especially by third parties), who will step up to write the mobile versions of DeskCalc, BePDF, WebPositive and Deskbar? Or if everyone begins to work on that instead, who will keep the ports of LibreOffice and various device drivers working?

Gold plating an unfinished piece of software will either result in a flop, or the original becoming a flop, or both becoming flops. And none of us want to see any of those situations happen.

Much of this assumes that third-party apps will exist for the mobile mode, which current concepts do not expect. Since mobile mode is intended (for now) to be basically like a basic phone OS, the scope of any first-party applications developed for it are expected to be smaller than desktop ones. That includes what applications will have to be developed.

But well, we’re getting a bit ahead of ourselves here.

Also, when did commercial viability enter the discussion? As far as I can see, people brainstorming on the idea don’t intend for it to have any or at least haven’t expressed it. It’s mainly just to get a Haiku install available in the pocket with the right peripherals connected, while still being able to use the basic functions of a phone.

Actually, this is getting off-topic. Won’t be tracking this topic anymore to avoid derailing it further.

haiku mobile os would need to be a fork, while some things can be kept much of the api and gui will need massive customizimg and that would probably break desktop

as a ford, based on haiku kernels etc, sure, as a extension of haiku not a good imho

2 Likes

Yes. Individuals can work on what they fancy, or just day dream in 3 parallel Haiku-phone threads. That does not mean that the Haiku project has any ambition to ‘shift focus’ from Haiku being developed for the desktop.
I actually am quite tempted to move all phone threads to the off-topic category…

5 Likes

I actually see the point in moving it to the “Off topic” category. Because it actually isn’t the original Haiku anymore. But that won’t stop us from day-dreaming about how a Haiku fork on phones should be.

Now and then I use Haiku and I enjoy its advanced and stable state. So the message that Haiku still is developed for desktop only is good news for me personally. Still I’m daydreaming… Edit: Think a second about a Haiku-similar OS replacing Android on your phone and you can understand…

So for me it would be ok in the OT category.

Greetings
Peter

feel free, the UI discussion is still interesting to me, but the two new threads to talk about frameworks or whatever wheb the UI isn’t even remotely finished conceptually seems really wierd. putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

3 Likes

I don’t think making a new skin on top of Linux is fun though. I would say creating a mobile friendly interface on top of Haiku would be cool, Using the BeAPI as a basis would also be cool. BeIA was really a fork of BeOS R4.5 with a different shell. A phone might work the same way.

Possibly. I’m thinking to set up some BeIA images somewhere that can be emulated. I guess it is unlikely that BeIA with Opera 4 is going to take over the world- given it doesn’t even do modern SSL.

I think the images I made before are gone. But I can look back at the posts I did as to how I set it all up.

I might also throw up a BeOS image with the SDK installed.

I will probably not publish the images publicly, but if you ask me I will share them when they are ready.

1 Like

I actually am quite tempted to move all phone threads to the off-topic category…

Yes, that’d be a good idea.

2 Likes

Yes! Too bad there are too many “streaming” protocols.

VLC player supports Chromecast video.
My Amazon fire stick supports screen casting from any Android.
Many smart TVs support Casting from an Android (devices as old as Android 4.4 supported this even without hardware acceleration).
On the PC side, Windows supports WiDi and Wireless display (are they the same protocol? Who knows).

“The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.” - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Quite true. The more “open” of the popular mobile OSes, Android, needs beefy resources that ensures that any phone costing less than about 150$ will be slow once a normal number of apps are installed.

And yes, I realize how much better linux on mobile could have been. (Maemo/Meego/Ubuntu Touch/Firefox OS yadda yadda yadda).

The embargo of stopping high-end chips from being sold to China will naturally lead to high-performance, open system, Risc-V systems over time. (Can’t wait for a Risc-Pi to appear :slight_smile: )

Once Haiku is perfect and the devs have nothing better to do, then spending some time adapting the OS to work on a mobile phone might be something they could think of doing.
But until then, let’s concentrate on the desktop.

5 Likes