Haiku on Mac

Now you’re talking again of the MBP, aren’t you?
I admit I’m a bit lost, could you provide a quick summary of the status and the steps that brought you there? Please include also any info on the partition layout, specs, and more.
I’m still minded that Haiku should work on this machine by tweaking some steps or settings.

Well no - the MacMini will not boot from the EFI installed on the internal drive, it will only boot with the EFI on a USB stick. The MBP just doesn’t want to know either way and fails even with USB.

I have given up with the MBP, because the Mini is fine and I am generally sitting at a desk in my office when I am doing anything with Haiku anyway. I can use the Surface Pro 2 if I want mobile. A lot of what I am trying to set up under Haiku is building old BeOS PowerPC apps, so the Mac’s that run BeOS are under the same desk and not mobile anyway.

I see. There is no reason why the Mini could not boot from the internal drive. There must be something wrong with the EFI partition type or the entire layout, then.

A small note here… newer Mac’s have the proprietary T2 security chip which prevent access to the keyboard and some other stuff without it being initialized.

Apple hardware isn’t the greatest thing to try and support when basic stuff fights you :slight_smile:. While I strongly support running Haiku anywhere, your best chances are on non-Apple hardware.

2 Likes

This is a known problem on a lot of Mac hardware, there’s a ticket:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/13205

I will probably have access to a Macbook Pro (intel) in the autumn. I plan to take a look at least.

1 Like

Okay - that does seem slightly different, but I will have a proper read tomorrow. This is an immediate crash, but booting with the EFI from the USB drive I have not seen it crash yet.

I don’t have time at the moment to describe, but here I had the same issue with being able to boot with USB and install, but not boot from the internal drive. I haven’t attempted using a bless tool to get away with not using boot camp, but idk if you need that if you aren’t dual booting OSX and Haiku.

The fix is to write the bootloader to another key and then use that to boot the installed OS. That seems to “just work”. What I didn’t yet try is installing everything to an external USB drive (it will be a spinning disk as I have a bunch of those) and seeing if it will boot from that. It makes no sense if that then fails. It must be something to do with how something is initialised - but not sure why the USB and the “scsi” (SATA) is being treated so differently on boot. Feels like something is being set up incorrectly when it uses the SATA disk to initialise the hardware I guess?

My guess would be that the firmware on the machine is intiializing things differently when booting from USB, and that our code does not have much to do with it. I could be wrong, of course, it is just a guess.

On our side there is pretty much no difference at all: the bootloader is loaded from either USB or SATA (this is done by the firmware). After that, it is pretty much the same code doing the same things: loading the kernel from the SATA disk and starting it.

To be fair, this is using OpenCore to boot, so it could be doing something completely different from whatever MacOS usually does. It is specifically trying to make a Mac boot an OS it isn’t supposed to be able to (Ventura in this case) and given Haiku refuses to boot in any way if I don’t use OpenCore makes me think you are totally right. Haiku booting at all seems to be a quirk of whatever they are doing to force MacOS to boot…

Apple M3-based Blue iMac 2023 - iMac, front exterior, white display border, blue exterior and aluminum stand, color-matched Magic Mouse and Keyboard placed under display.

Apple M3 chip with 8‑core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 10‑core GPU, and 16‑core Neural Engine
2TB SSD storage
24GB unified memory
Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
Two USB 3 ports
Gigabit Ethernet
Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad - US English
Final Cut Pro
Logic Pro

Web Browser: Safari Version 17.1 (WebKit 616.2.9)

I was tracking Youtube videos of users using Haiku on the new Apple M1 machines and cross compiler setups.

Can see if there are updated videos with the newer M3 machines.

1 Like

I make my Haiku videos on a M2 Mac Mini using UTM, which is basically a QEMU front-end. Can send you a .UTM file with the virtual machine if you like.

2 Likes

I’d be interested, too! Been fiddling with that as well but did not manage to setup the boot process properly

I’ve been enjoying your videos Michel!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgohu22fx4xbef3/Haiku%20B4.utm.zip

Let me know if it boots for you.

1 Like

thanks for the share. It works nice on MBP M1PRO :slight_smile:

Works great, thanks @michel! Please also see the DM I sent you.

With it, i could start Haiku from VirtualCD drive on my cMP 4,1 (2x Xeon X5680 (hexacore) + 82Go RAM)

Does sound card work on your macpro 4.1?

Is the file still available? It looks like the link was deleted