Haiku on fakeraid 0 alongside windows 7

Hi, I’m a new user, who’d like to start experimenting with other OS’es than windows. I found out about Haiku, and I’d like to try it, but I’d like to know if it installs at all on my hardware in advance. I tried to install Ubunto some time ago, but that didn’t recognize my RAID array, so I’m looking for (other) alternatives. I’ve searched the forum for “fakeraid” but nothing comes up.

Thanks in advance.

No support for software RAID arrays in Haiku.

Haiku can run in LiveCD mode but somewhat slow. Also, you can download and write image to usb key. A computer with usb booting can run it off the usb drive. Worst case (slower), you run it through Qemu, VirtualBox or VmWare.

Otherwise you will need regular PATA drive or AHCI SATA drive (non-raid) to install to and run in real mode.

Thanks for the reply.
To clarify, fakeraid and software raid are 2 different things, but I assume if software raid isn’t going to work, neither will fakeraid :wink: (with fakeraid I mean built-in raid support of the motherboard and the sata chip it uses, in my case Intel ICH10R).

So too bad I can’t practically use it, but I’ll make sure to check out the livecd (or usb) some time.

I hope fakeraid-support is on the to-do list though ;).

Sure, software & fakeraid are somewhat different by design but they both work kinda the same - require software (drivers & CPU) to handle RAID. :slight_smile:

Both of them not supported - no fakeraid drivers. fakeraid is not likely to be on the to-do list. Would require creating drivers for every fakeraid chipset out there. Software RAID (OS level) could one day be coded for Haiku - maybe in R2, not R1. That would give everyone RAID option with non-RAID hardware.

I can say not for R1 but anything can happen in R2 and will have to wait & see.

Nah, just the ich10r will do ;).

The computer I’m using is the first I’ve built myself, so I’m not too experiences with these kind of things, and it was my intention to experiment with other OS’es now I have my very own computer with which to do as I please. If I knew about these difficulties (most Linux distributions also don’t like fakeraid it seems) I would have taken it into account while designing / building my computer, by reserving budget for a hardware controller for example… Oh well. I’m probably not gonna make any hardware changes to it now. But it’s something I now can take in account when I need a new computer (ways off though). Maybe if I have some money I’ll build a cheap computer for me to experiment on :D.

Haiku runs off usb key (drive). Certain usb drives may not work. You could buy a 1, 2 or 4 GB usb key and install Haiku to that. This is a good option if you can boot from usb.

Or you can buy an older, used computer. I have found used Pentium3 systems that go for little money and are good for fooling around with (to learn). You may also find Athlon XP or Pentium4 for decent price.

If you have another drive bay you could always add another hard drive to your system. I do not like running more than 2 hard drives in a computer but have run up to 4 hard drives on an older (server) system. Make sure you have very good power supply and case ventilation if you do this.

You can also run as LiveCD but much slower and very few applications to try out.

You actually can get Ubuntu onto fakeraid 0. It’s just the easy CD/DVD installer doesn’t support it. So you’d have to get into a Live Ubuntu session, get the fakeraid stuff working and install from there. A Google search ought to find a few people who’ve done this, but obviously it’s not a nice “one click” option.

Anyway, support in Ubuntu (or any popular Linux distro) for fakeraid is illustrative, so might as well explain from there. Linux of course already has software RAID, so all that’s needed to use a fakeraid is the correct parameters, in the case of RAID 0 we need to know which devices are striped together, and how big the stripes are. If we get these parameters correct, the existing software RAID implementation can see the correct layout of the data, there is no need for separate “drivers” for different vendors.

However the next question is - where are the parameters? Sadly each major “fakeraid” vendor does it differently, so there’s a tool (dmraid) which collects together knowledge about how the parameters are stored and it’ll start the appropriate software RAID devices.

But yes, the first step to supporting fakeraid systems is to have a working software RAID implementation.