Haiku Marketing

Actually, I have just looked at Krita’s website, and it describes itself as a painting program, so I think people used to dedicated photo-editors will be disappointed by Krita too.

Good day,

Need to try Wonderbrush on 64bit, if its vector features are similar to Inkscape’s it will be my replacement for that.

@Sebrof, Krita seems to be the Gimp of KDE, though I haven’t tried it that much. You also have Digikam, which is a “Professional photo management with the power of open source”. Though I haven’t tried it yet neither. Both are in the software list when I finally complete the switch (which is taking longer thanks to Windows-my desk looks like a messy computer repairment shop ATM).

For SVGs I’m using Karbon at the moment, though it seems to be “abandonware” by KDE, at least it’s listed as “unmaintained”.

Regards,
RR

You’re quite right, Digikam is the photo-editor and image manager, not Krita.

I very much hopes it permits adjustments of colour balance, exposure, etc., to a group of RAW files, not just one at a time. For me, that function is a make-or-break feature.

When I tried Karbon, it wouldn’t install. But that was a while ago.

Not really a “news”.

We already have various FAQ entries about the compiler: General FAQ | Haiku Project

Any improvements to suggest? Already I see that it’s stuck at gcc7 instead of 8. And it says we use it to “compile the x86 version” while “to compile parts of the 32bit x86 version” would be better.

I think it’s hard to not mention gcc2 at all in this. Either you would outright lie, or, probably, lie by omission (saying something like “we use gcc8”, which is true, but incomplete).

3 Likes

Frankly most folks doesn’t care that some parts of the OS built by GCC2, what they care about is the available toolchain.
And while it is not “news” some still thinks (and happily shares this “information”) that Haiku ships with GCC2.
This is a bigger lie than omitting the fact that x86 Haiku ships GCC2 too.

Then formulate it like : “Every Haiku version comes with GCC8 preinstalled” or something like this. No lies, no tears.

2 Likes

Has there been an article written that details what both versions of GCC do and why things are the way they are?

1 Like

Of course it is not “News” for us Haiku user, but what he meant is give the marketing team a task to work on.
Make clear what Haiku is and what not, to make sure the reader understands what is happening within the Haiku development.
This has nothing to do with arguing about software Haiku has or does not have…

Would be great to see an article from the marketing team about Haiku development chain, and how to use Haiku work with lots of Software.
Not an article about Software!

switch to gcc9 and then make a news article about that. :)

1 Like

WARNING: triggering comment.

Other task for the marketing team: go and read the comments on 3rdparty news sites. I did and i can categorize the comments in the following distinct categories:

• BeOS was great (e.g. nostalgia/retro feeling triggered, but it wasn’t enough to get the person try Haiku at all, not even virtualized)
  • This linux looks strange. (I just looked at the screenshots.)
  • Looks interesting, but it is just a toy, no STEAM, no WINE, no Chrome. It is dead. (e.g. Haiku is not up to the expectations for consumerist use cases. Basically: if you give me everything i want i might consider to not dislike it, but i won’t use it.)
  • Haiku is shit compared to linux, linux won, Haiku is retarded, everything runs in ring0, no users, no 3d, no nothing, stupid suicide licensing, also toy GUI… (Linux-fan activists who uses every possible way to make bad advertisement for anything other than linux, possibly fear&hate induced).
  • Haiku should use Linux kernel/drivers/X11/wayland/chrome/firefox. But how it is is a dead way. (If you make Linux from Haiku i will consider to not hate it.)
  • I have installed it in virtualbox, BUT… ( somebody who actually spent some time with Haiku, but went back to a known working OS because missing software/hw support/etc.)
  • Haiku is great (people who dont actually telling anything, non-motivating for the other readers, just a placeholder comment).

Now what can the marketing team tell to this user groups? How can we motivate them to actually spend some time with Haiku at all? Because lets talk clear: most of the commenters doesn’t even tested Haiku at all. They just comment the news because it is a reflex for many nowadays. But this comments influences other users, because frankly nobody trust in news nowadays, most of them reads the comments and takes them on face-value, so at the end almost nobody gets motivated to test Haiku. This is bad and the marketing team need to have an answer to this. This is psychology and a serious business, the marketing team is absolutely responsible here to give an answer.

This is my 2 cents.

7 Likes

Opposing example: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Mesa-21.0-With-Haiku-OS

The comments section is more telling of things. People usually get misinformed or blindsided by oppositionists…

I like the way, some tests of haiku in the past:

We need more like this. To show people thats available and how to use.

Be realistic. Too long, nobody reads nowadays. Where is my steam? Games? Desktop is dead. Into the trash it goes.

Dear marketing team do not forget the stimulus-treshold is extremely high while the attention span is extremely short.

You have 8 sec at best to get somebody’s attention. Probably less.

Either find a super (!) way or go full gates like sociopath, because there seems to be no other way.

Tough task, but exactly this is why Haiku needs a marketing team.

Go hard or go home. Leave your sentiment behind, nobody cares.

Also be prepared to comments like “i tested Haiku 3 years ago, it is a bullshit joke factory”. Are they paid opposition? Who knows, they however influences the masses.

I think Haiku should be targeted at Windows users, not Linux users. Few people who have invested the hundreds/thousands of hours necessary to master Linux are going to want to start all over again with another system.

Of course, Haiku doesn’t need you to spend thousands of hours, but a Linux user won’t believe that.

In my view, there are two groups of Windows user who are potential Haiku users:

1 Those who are alarmed at the way the Silicon Valley companies try to control your lives and steal your data.

2 Those who don’t want to have to buy a new computer because their old one won’t run Win10.

So our target market is Windows, and our competitor is Linux.

I suspect we are far too Western-orientated. There must be millions of people in places like India and Africa (and Russia!) who are potential Haiku users, and many of them are very good at programming (too good in some cases).

They are the people we should be targeting. And apart from a good browser, we just need good media software, LibreOffice, and one or two other apps like video/photo-editing. That’ll keep 99% of potential users happy.

This is about marketing, not daydreaming. You got me laugh with the (Russia!) part tho.

Also you forgot to answer where my games are.

abc def ghi jkl mno p

Not day-dreaming at all. And I started this before you posted about your games. If you think Haiku is going to compete with Windows for games, then it’s not me who is the dreamer.

Do you remember the EEE PC, manufactured by Asus? That’s probably what we should be looking for. A company that wants to market a really low cost entry-level computer for the Third World, with a good but simple OS.

I bought the original EEE. It was fatally flawed, having a ludicrously small screen. However, it was wonderful for travelling light, and I remember amending company budgets on it in emergency while on holiday in Prague. It was a pain, but it was possible. With Haiku and a larger screen it would have been a world beater.

That’s good to hear.

Does anyone know who owns / runs this channel: https://odysee.com/@HaikuOSChannel:d307eb93117b1e3933b1f1023e673ec71fcb5f81?page=1

Updated link, I’ll remove previous link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/11VcHhnwXeZZCi3-UEriHafIIFWiX4_NIPNA5TKzdv6o/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like