Haiku Marketing

Hi all, I’ve drafted a blog post. Please feel free to add any comments:

4 Likes

Nice but is Haiku really suitable for enterprises ? I’m not so sure.

Upon release one it will be suitable for lots of things but I imagine there’s a lot of testing between here and there.

Big Enteeprices need network/multiuser and passwort protection. A good running office suite.

Smal ones can use haiku, but i do not know how secure is the system.

1 Like

Haiku is a good OS for businesses (especially in embedded situations) because it is very light. The hardware requirements have barely changed since 2001 and apps are small and responsive. Take for example the recently released Medo 4K video editor, which packs in a lot of features, but is surprisingly only 1.4MB in size! I think businesses will see the merits of running such a lightweight system.

abc def ghi jkl mno p

2 Likes

Businesses don’t care about being light, they care about getting the job done, and they need security.

Haiku on embedded systems is irrelevant, embedded systems need a special stack of software. Haiku is designed for desktop systems.

2 Likes

Yeah, Haiku for businesses is a stretch right now, which is why I’m shelving the plans for promoting that aspect of the project for now.

I understand that Haiku still needs a lot of work before it can even be considered for general use.

And I agree - it was probably a bit unrealistic considering marketing Haiku for business use in the first place. However, having followed the project for a while now but only just recently joined the forums and looked through them, there’s a lot of information that’s not on the main site, but can be uncovered on the forums. I’m still learning and trying to understand the full picture of where Haiku is at right now and what best we should do from here on in terms of our promotion efforts.

1 Like

True - Haiku does not yet have the security that businesses may want.

But we have tunetracker, a conmpany using haiku.

abc def ghi jkl mno p

Apparently, they don’t use it anymore: [haiku-inc] Re: Making use of funds - haiku-inc - FreeLists

abc def ghi jkl mno p

Maybe someone with clout should contact them and ask about it. I was surprised there was still a Papyrus, since I remember their product for the ST.

1 Like

They already said this several times. About once a year.

1 Like

TuxPaint is also an application that since the beginning has been around for BeOS/Haiku.
Bill Kendrick has been keen on helping out when there were problems so we could keep this on par with latest releases. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s good of him to officially mention Haiku and include it in the downloads list too!

Which brings me to something I’ve been wanting to mention; would it be possible to get other FOSS projects to support ports of their apps to Haiku (i.e. have Haiku included in the downloads list and maybe have the maintainers of the port be part of their developer community), or would that be too much of a task?

Obviously we’d have to figure out who maintains what ports and whether or not they’d like their port becoming an “official” download.

There are already a few, I provide (keep on par) with ScummVM too (with some help at haikuports), they also provide a Haiku download, and I think there are others too :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about the major ones like LibreOffice, QT and VLC?

You should ask their maintainers, I’m not touching those :slight_smile:

1 Like