Haiku Marketing

Hi all,

I’ve finished the first draft of the information sheet of the “reviews pack”. It looks quite sparse but I’m still waiting on the Haiku icons to be moved to the Haiku Artwork respository so I can download and use them. Any other decorations such as a logo etc. I’ll try to add in when I can.

I have included a link to the document on Google Docs - editing has been disabled but you can suggest changes and I will respond to those promptly:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgKdtdq77gJKpHRXlkyFrwC79IowMyAf/view?usp=sharing

In the document, I have put myself down as the contact for any inquiries/issues with Haiku.

@PulkoMandy, you mentioned somewhere (I’m not sure where) that you have a hundred or so Haiku discs you can ship to people, so I have put his name and email down for that - is that okay with you?

In case the reviewer wants interviews with the developers, I’ve listed the press contacts on the Beta 2 release notes, which are PulkoMandy for French, @waddlesplash for English and @humdinger for German. If you would not like to be the contact listed in the document, please let me know and I will find someone else to be the contact.

Since we have English, French and German press contacts I was thinking of translating the document into French and German once it’s done - would anyone be willing to do that?

2 Likes

I have about 500 left but they are for beta1. Not a good idea to ship an outdated version to reviewers. I did not order a batch of beta2 discs (no time, and no space left in the closet where I store these :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

This is one of the goals of #haikunauts. Spread the word without being an evangelist site and gather information on Haiku that comes mostly from the forum posts and other sites, and organize it in a simple way.

Also tweeting about anything that relates to Haiku’s improvements over time, new software availability, new features, and so on.

The progress goes a tad slowly. We’ll have to think about how to get a faster pace, but digging the web for stuff takes hours and hours and hours… and then organizing, cleaning up, selecting stuff also takes time.

#joinTheRevOSlution

6 Likes

A development kit/“server” edition of the software that automatically carries out the installation in an image and then exports it accordingly to the virtualization software the user wants to use is something I’ve also been interested in, having written the AWS and the QEMU virtualization guide articles and having explored the idea of providing CI images on Haiku in the past.

Keep me posted!

1 Like

They are already in the “Haiku” repository, why not use them from there?

Unfortunately, I’m only interested in the “artwork” folder of the repository, and on Github I have to clone the entire repository in order to get access to just the one folder.

Additionally all of the icons are in HVIF format. I’m using Windows and running Haiku in VirtualBox so I have no way of opening these icons.

@PulkoMandy you suggested adding a recommended virtualization option, what would you recommend? I use Virtualbox because it’s free, and on my device Haiku works quite well - it still lags though.

I use VMWare Player for my haiku VMs and it rocks !

I know it’s not open source, but it is more responsive, lighter on resources and more stable than VirtualBox, and you can use VMWare add-ons inside the haiku guest to have clipboard sharing and automatic resolution scaling of the guest OS when you resize your VM window, and of course full screen native resolution without fumbling with VBox manage settings.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to prepare these guides.
I’ll have a look at it tonight or tomorrow.

I will try and translate it into French this coming week-end, time permitting.

1 Like

I’ve edited the document and taken onboard @PulkoMandy and @humdinger’s suggestions.

Thanks so much! Now we just need to find a German translator…

I use qemu which works great from Linux (and is also free). It works well and is very configurable whico is useful for me when I write drivers (for example emulating an sd card is possible).

Not sure what the other options on Windows are but Virtualbox is known to have performance issues with Haiku

1 Like

I think VMWare is the main one - or HyperV if you own Windows 10 Pro.

If you use it for command line stuff, QEMU is good.

But for GUI applications, I find it slow (compared to VMWare) on my (not very powerful) system.

I’ve made some suggestions.

I like what you did with your first draft. It’s clear, concise and to the point. Thanks :ok_hand:

1 Like

Done! I’ve also added notes on virtualisation recommendations.

Hi all,

I’ve made a spreadsheet detailing mentions of Haiku in the media, this may include YouTube and review sites.

I’ve turned editing on, so feel free to add anything I missed:

Thanks!

2 Likes

How is this different from https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Beta2/InThePress (or the respective pages for past releases?)

1 Like

My apologies, I didn’t realise that existed! Although, the spreadsheet does also have a couple of websites/YouTube channels that only did a review on Beta1 whom we could reach out to asking them to do a Beta2 review.

I have also gathered the contact details of each website/channel so we can contact them if needs be in the future.

Maybe we could put more info on the wiki, like jt15s did on their spreadsheet ?

This is a good idea about interviews with developers. Perhaps a predetermined set of questions that would reveal what each developer is passionate about and what they are working on. Things like that, like a spotlight on a developer’s insight. Also could have an app spotlight (preferably native apps, but all app development) that showcases Haiku. I know we are in Beta and it may seem premature, but it will help all that are non-devs to see what is going on in the Haiku-verse. As an end-user, I would be willing to help you with this endevour, however I can. Let me know.

4 Likes