Haiku longterm roadmap - some ideas and clarity

“Yes, well, it doesn’t take much to boot an xterm in a TCL/TK WM :wink: throw in a few apps you might actually want to use, and the formerly stripped down Linux slows down dramatically.”

Not so. As I said, I’m running MATE under Arch here with a number of applets that load on boot like (gnome) network manger, power utils, Parcellite etc and it cold boots from grub in 6s compared to 16s for a recent Haiku nightly- thats almost 3 times longer to wait. It would unlikely make much difference if I was running MATE under Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora or whatever. Running KDE (vs pretty much any other Linux desktop) does add a number of seconds to Linux’s boot time; even on a powerful, modern machine with a good SSD but even when booting KDE Arch boots notably faster than Haiku on my laptop.

The Raspberry Pi has the most brand recognition but I’d like to see the Haiku ARM port also target the BananaPi (Pro) too as you get a much better spec device with the big advantages of having SATA II & gigabit ethernet for a similar, minimal amount of money.

[quote=33Nicolas]Well asked, well written and I agree for the most part.

As far as Desktop environments and managers, I still haven’t found what fits me, or what fits a pedominently right-thinking brain. File managers, desktop managers, heck, even “multimedia” OSs are designed by left-brain thinkers. The gist is, I would love to see an intuitive desktop with an intuitive file manager. Nothing squared, but more like relevant circles with relevant information nested inside, last file used, programs used, etc, per whatever category the user defines. This would cater to the more artistic non-savvy, underserved consumer base. Plus, it would finally get us to loosen the square look presentation shackles I find so unatural.[/quote]

You mean something like this? http://raptureinvenice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/beia_webpad.jpeg

Hi all.
I would throw my hat in the ring for the armht processor (Raspberry pi B2)? Haiku is perfect for the small but powerful experimental processor. Does it make sense to anyone else?

work is already underway to port haiku to arm v7

Really like this Article. +1