Haiku installation issues

Cleaned up older 32bit laptop earlier, then Installed Manjaro 64bit and Haiku32bit (BIOS/MBR) easy peasy :smiley:
Now I can boot into Manjaro too to checkout differences for the KDE applications and boot into Haiku with Haiku’s bootmanager.

1 Like

Try KShisen. There’s a difference in scores between the previous and the new Haiku version which is more generous. It would be interesting to compare with same versions on linux.

1 Like

Ahoy @zaivala23 ,

You informed us as you formatted the whole drive to BFS.
I have a bad news, and a good news as well.

First,
it is no problem if you have installed Haiku 32 bit, and your drive is DOS formatted,
Then you can use Legacy Boot mode in your computer’s firmware to boot Haiku, as
the first stage of bootloader will find your next stage bootloader on that BFS partition.

BUT

If you would have a 64 bit Haiku installer USB key ready
then you must setup – EFI boot !

Your USB ,as if created successfully from an official Haiku x86_64 ISO image,
then contains a smaller FAT partition - labeled ‘haiku esp’ - which you have on your drive as well with its copied /directories / files on it.

So you must create first or last an additional FAT32 partition besides the BFS one on your system disk. If only Haiku will be on the disk, it can be so small, as on your USB key, some twentysomething size,
its type → ‘EFI system data’
it’s label I used ‘haiku esp’ as well, but it does not matter just such name that tells you that is your EFI partition on the system disk.
After formatted this FAT partiton as bootable, you can mount this and the other ‘haiku esp’ as well –
For already existing on the USB drive, you can select to mount as read-only, then you cannot damage it on the USB key
Then you can open them with Tracker, select all content from source FAT partition with all content of prepard EFI that helps you boot your installer drive … and copy all of its content onto the empty FAT partittion you have on your target system disk in the T540.
That should boot your new Haiku on BFS on your harddrive/SSD.

Do not worry if DriveSetup does not set bootable your BFS during drive preparation –
it would be handled with installer among last steps of installs.

You can read the messages of Installer in the up right corner in the Installer window – after files/directories/ copied to your new BFS system partition, then once the Haiku installer should write as it made/ finished Haiku boot(loader) setup on the drive.
This is stage one written onto the disk and makes bootable the BFS partition.
After that a small leaf icon should appears in front of the BFS partition just as on your USB key BFS drive it appears
You can set the BFS as bootable in DriveSetup as well during preparation of disklayout - using the partition flags modification menu Item under partiton, however in case EFI, the EFI partition should be bootable instead if system disk partittion. … as next stage lies here.
Also with such copy you don’t have to follow the complicated description in the official documaent of manual EFI setup with create BOOT dir. copy and rename a bootloader file that exists in the BFS filesystem in a specific directory / folder as well, but on a different name, so this way required to rename it … to stage one find it and you can see that is the
Haiku EFI bootloader of yours, you just made.
That handles EFI firmware supported boot options and load your Haiku (even select a specific snapshot with bootloader Options features.

If your machine Haiku installed only, then I suggest to initialize the whole disk as MBR instead of GPT, however Haiku can handle GPT drives. I would suggest due to DriveSetup. That would really need some refactoring/improvements/caring and adding some stability to too.
As there is issue/ticket about unbootable installs - whatever the boot media - when the partition won’t be set bootable during/after the installation :((…

I had such experience, me myself, as well, in the recent past - but with Haiku 32 bit.

you must initialize the partition using the intel partition map, then boot into the live environment and install haiku boot manager. then, haiku will start without the usb drive.