Haiku GUI concept

Well here’s my try at a GUI mockup for Haiku.

I really love the beos style do I didn’t want to stray too far. I just tried imaging what BeOS would look like if it was still in development today.

I realize the font antialiasing on the mockup version is crappy, thats because photoshop doesn’t support sub-pixel hinting like Freetype does. Rest assured the fonts would look alot nicer if this was actually generated by Freetype.

My version is on the (EDIT) right with the original BeOS on the (EDIT) left (obviously).

Ae you sure yours is on the left?

That said, if yours is on the left, the original one looks nicer. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

bal8664 wrote:

…I really love the beos style do I didn’t want to stray too far…

You’ve found a perfect balance there; great to see yet another talent dealing with GUI !

It’s perfect.
Nothing to say :slight_smile:

Mustang wrote:
It's perfect. Nothing to say :)

Just a small problem:

we don’t have support for gradients, while the screenshot shows a lot of gradients (buttons, popup menus, etc.).

Quote:
Well here's my try at a GUI mockup for Haiku.

That’s a really nice GUI update. Maybe something to consider for R2 if we have support for gradients by then.

It looks professional and clean, just what a BeOS GUI should do!

For people that have a modern OS installed on their computer (joking ;)), i have made a small BeOS clone in flash last summer. It was originaly for testing GUI design and menus placement, for the Net++ project.

For people interessted and having a flash player (at least 6) installed, you can give it a try at : http://www.beosfrance.com/muckups/Net++/flash/

Why i post it here ? To test some of your muckups of haiku GUI in a living demo :slight_smile:
This flash movie has been designed to be modified very easily, so it could be done very quickly !

I love this!
I hope it would be in R2!!

Jack Burton wrote:
Mustang wrote:
It's perfect. Nothing to say :)

Just a small problem:

we don’t have support for gradients, while the screenshot shows a lot of gradients (buttons, popup menus, etc.).

It’s true there isn’t a nice API for them, but vertical gradients like them are very easily done as a LineArray - I’ve written some code to do it that could quite easily be a private app server helper function. I believe the close button in the default decorator has some sort of gradient on it - I think I remember seeing an app server function for that (but that would have been a couple of years ago).

One problem with gradients everywhere is they don’t tend to scale well to lower color depths. I’d also advise avoiding very subtle gradients that cover a large area (window background) for performance reasons. Also window backgrounds should really be solid colors as the API allows changing them. There is a bit more flexibility with design of the controls as they are not as customisable colour-wise by the app developer.

I love the overall look of the shot though. Keep it coming; and show us some with the other controls :slight_smile:

Simon

bal8664 wrote:
Well here's my try at a GUI mockup for Haiku.

http://www.rit.edu/~bal8664/haiku-mockup-compare.jpg

It reminds me of Plastic from KDE. It’s beautiful. I want it. :twisted:

Quote:
One problem with gradients everywhere is they don't tend to scale well to lower color depths.

This is actually something I kept in mind while designing it.

Heres an example of what it looks like in 8-bit (256 colors).

The window itself uses only 17 colors, with all the buttons menus and etc, the titlebar uses another 15, and the screen icon uses another 5 for a total of only 37 colors used. Still looks pretty good I think.

bal8664 wrote:
Quote:
One problem with gradients everywhere is they don't tend to scale well to lower color depths.

This is actually something I kept in mind while designing it.

Heres an example of what it looks like in 8-bit (256 colors).

The window itself uses only 17 colors, with all the buttons menus and etc, the titlebar uses another 15, and the screen icon uses another 5 for a total of only 37 colors used. Still looks pretty good I think.

The problem is that thats still crap compared to BeOS currently in 256 colours - the entire GUI is done in safe colours, its only images and web pages that look wrong - well, the timer ticks in MediaPlayer also need 15/16 bit colour. But all UI widgets, icons, etc are fine in 8 bit.

Quote:
The problem is that thats still crap compared to BeOS currently in 256 colours - the entire GUI is done in safe colours, its only images and web pages that look wrong - well, the timer ticks in MediaPlayer also need 15/16 bit colour. But all UI widgets, icons, etc are fine in 8 bit.

I think I’m confused. What do you mean “safe colors”? In the image you quoted the left one is in 8-bit 256 colors, and it uses 37 of those 256 available. Granted I have no idea which 256 colors would be in Haiku’s color Palette, but I’d imagine that’s something the Haiku programmers could decide. Personally, I think it looks fine in 256 color mode.

And even if it doesn’t look perfect, how many people are still going to be running in 256 colors? Even my old 1995 Packard Bell 486 can run in 16-bit color, and I doubt it’ll be able to run Haiku, so It’s probably not that important of an issue.

bal8664 wrote:
Quote:

I think I’m confused. What do you mean “safe colors”? In the image you quoted the left one is in 8-bit 256 colors, and it uses 37 of those 256 available. Granted I have no idea which 256 colors would be in Haiku’s color Palette, but I’d imagine that’s something the Haiku programmers could decide. Personally, I think it looks fine in 256 color mode.

And even if it doesn’t look perfect, how many people are still going to be running in 256 colors? Even my old 1995 Packard Bell 486 can run in 16-bit color, and I doubt it’ll be able to run Haiku, so It’s probably not that important of an issue.

I think what he meant was that the palette was not “customized” for the GUI - so those 37 custom colors would not exist unless the palette was modified leaving fewer custom colors available for showing photos in 256 colors…

In any case, 256 color is EXTREMELY useful in low-bandwidth situations where you need to remotely view a desktop (VNC/RDP/etc), or if you need to capture screen movies or whatever - I often run 256 color when connecting to machines via RDP from home.

Frankly, I don’t really care about 8-bit mode. Even on my Windows XP desktop, I use 24-bit for remote connections. :expressionless:

Quote:
I think what he meant was that the palette was not "customized" for the GUI - so those 37 custom colors would not exist unless the palette was modified leaving fewer custom colors available for showing photos in 256 colors...

Ok, thats what I thought. But the Haiku programmer’s get to decide what the color palette would be. It seems like BeOS R5 uses around 10-15 colors in it’s main GUI. Now granted the one I made uses 37, it does look significantly fancier.

I feel bad for anyone looking at photos in 256 colors! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ronald wrote:
Frankly, I don't really care about 8-bit mode. Even on my Windows XP desktop, I use 24-bit for remote connections. :|

Wow, does that work well at 1600x1200 over a dialup? - and yes, I essentially have dialup speeds… :frowning:

When it comes down to it…I’ll take simplicity and realestate over color depth in SOME circumstances – that’s why essentially EVERY operating system allows the user to change them at will - because there are uses for lower color depths even if the video card can do it.

Especially less-than-new equipment - ever tried playing a DVD on a 300mhz laptop at fullscreen? – hint: it runs better in 16bit than it does at 24bit… (I’m speaking from Windows experience here unfortunately)

umccullough wrote:
Wow, does that work well at 1600x1200 over a dialup? - and yes, I essentially have dialup speeds... :(

When it comes down to it…I’ll take simplicity and realestate over color depth in SOME circumstances – that’s why essentially EVERY operating system allows the user to change them at will - because there are uses for lower color depths even if the video card can do it.

Especially less-than-new equipment - ever tried playing a DVD on a 300mhz laptop at fullscreen? – hint: it runs better in 16bit than it does at 24bit… (I’m speaking from Windows experience here unfortunately)

You can set your remote session resolution to 800x600. But then I have never been a fan of VNC nor through dial up. I find it is really lousy compared to RDP.

My condolences for being stuck at dial up speeds. I remember that… Back in the dark times of the Internet (early 90ies).

BTW can a DVD even played at 300MHz speeds? I always thought they required a addon card for speeding up MPEG2 decoding at that low speed. :expressionless:

Ronald wrote:
umccullough wrote:
Wow, does that work well at 1600x1200 over a dialup? - and yes, I essentially have dialup speeds... :(

You can set your remote session resolution to 800x600. But then I have never been a fan of VNC nor through dial up. I find it is really lousy compared to RDP.

My condolences for being stuck at dial up speeds. I remember that… Back in the dark times of the Internet (early 90ies).

BTW can a DVD even played at 300MHz speeds? I always thought they required a addon card for speeding up MPEG2 decoding at that low speed. :expressionless:

Yes, since I’m 7 miles from the nearest telco building - my only choice is $120/mo IDSL at 144kbps (yikes)… or satellite (with ~1 second latency)

I hate VNC also - RDP hooks into the GDI calls I think, so it’s a lot faster for the drawing of primitives across the network than a standard “screen-scraping” tool like VNC

But VNC is a more likely solution for connecting to a remote Haiku machine…

For me, if i’m doing remote development, the screen realestate is more important the color-depth, so I would opt for 1600x1200x8bpp rather than 800x600x24bpp

As for playing a DVD at 300mhz - I’m not entirely sure how smooth it is - but it does play on my PII 350mhz ASUS P2B machine just fine - Using Cyberlink PowerDVD and a Voodoo3 card on Windows 2000 - i’m not sure if the voodoo card has hardware decoding or not… - it does work better in 16bit than 24 bit though

That’s awful. :shock: :x

Doesn’t it lag a lot at 1600x1200? Isn’t VNC just sending a bitmap of what’s inside the video RAM? :expressionless: