Haiku features I'd like to see

It doesn’t; FreeBSD’s Linux compatibility layer does not run under our FreeBSD compatibility layer, and there are not any WiFi drivers that use this feature in FreeBSD anyway.

The BCM4313 is supported by a native FreeBSD driver, not a Linux-ported one. The reason I haven’t attempted porting it to our FreeBSD layer is its use of some weird Broadcom-specific busses that will be a pain to get wired into our compatibility layer correctly.

At this point, I’m pretty close to abandoning this approach; FreeBSD’s code here is just a huge mess and not worth that effort. I’m looking at OpenBSD’s drivers instead.

This is also not true. For the most performance-critical functions, most of the wrapping is inlined indeed; but there are still wrapper functions which would be wrappers of wrappers.

There are actually some FreeBSD network drivers dependent on the Linux compatibility layer (some strange 10Gb Ethernet drivers, not anything WiFi related, but still.)

1 Like

Brilliant derail of the thread guys… :roll_eyes:
Shall I move to a new thread?

Leave it be… it’d just be another thread to get derailed after all.

Refuting non features is on topic :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, we’ll get back on topic @humdinger. :grinning:

Frankly, hardware accelerated support and support for more WiFI hardware are the only major blockers for (personally) having Haiku as a third operating system. Multi-user support would be nice, but isn’t a priority at the moment.

2 Likes

Well, imho, it already caused some confusion to split threads… maybe things like login wishes and system-wide persistence can be started in a new thread. In fact, I might do that so everyone can focus on saving states across reboots in the future. It’d be a great alternative to ‘sleep mode’ which doesn’t always work so well on PCs anyway. :slight_smile:

Seriously, it seems the only computers I’ve seen that sleep flawlessly are Macs… but that’s just me.

2 Likes

There was similar talk, may be someone find it interesting:

Considering the current method of installing packages, could it be reworked in the future to add containerization abilities to Haiku? With the trend of putting everything in containers, a low latency OS with a fast GUI for interaction having such a feature may prove to be interesting for businesses. Of course, proper multi-user support needs to be implemented first.

I think that is completely orthogonal to Haiku’s package mangement.

What you need to implement containers is hardware virtualization support… perhaps either implementing KVM or BHYVE.

Isn’t KVM specific to the Linux kernel?

I dont think that it would a good idea in the end. If you are in need of a system to run container apps… as a lot of them, you are probably going to want a/the smallest baremetal os, like a specially crafted one (Alpine for example).

Technically yes KVM is linux sepecific. However it has been ported elsewhere such as SmartOS and old ports even to Windows and FreeBSD in various states of completion.

BHYVE may be a better target as KVM is a much faster moving project.

I can definitely see the applications of a low latency OS with a GUI and containerization (for security). The movie industry likes to prevent leaks from coming out and isolating app data from each other in containers could be of significant help. Artists in that field often have to work with machines disconnected from any network, which can be very cumbersome. A containerized Haiku may allow for them to still use the Internet (references, communication, etc.) while not risking confidentiality of their performance-sensitive work.

Remember that BeOS (and Haiku by extension) was the best for multimedia applications back then. What more appropriate fate for Haiku than for it to follow in its footsteps by adding security to it, which is very highly valued in professional multimedia environments.

I suppose that could work if only the container’s were allowed extermal netowrk acess and it was turned for native apps being used for produciton etc…

The real bussines use for containers is running/deploying the applications in the same context as they were developed (i.e libraries, running servers required and initial configuration) in my server on the source company.

Also have several instances of the same application but running different configurations (as in web servers + database access), with the same template as origin (using only a few mbs with a diff from the template)

Security isnt going to be granted by containers because they will share the kernel behind them (with the hypervisor), and you cannot guarantee that.

You are probably refering to the isolation feature that’s kinda fuzzy with the containers themselves.

2 Likes

Are there any features found in file systems like ZFS and BTRFS that could be added to BFS? BFS already has many of their features implemented, but is there anything that it doesn’t have? Or is it already at feature parity with both (if not more)?

I keep reading “KVM” in the old-old sense: a {Keyboard + Video + Mouse} hardware switch to share with multiple computers. (>.<)
Then I have remind myself…

Actually same problem with Android Debug Bridge; I keep reading “ADB” as Apple Desktop Bus. And I can tell you it’s a bazillion times more difficult now to find info on the old Apple tech now, or to find devices that use it. (-^_^-);

1 Like

I am sorry for the mess I made!

Anyway I’ll peruse Git for the login source code and try to implement a “save session” function in the prompt that writes the state of the machine (screen brightness, desktop applet persistence, open applications and the files on which they were operating, and the power state of the machine, etc.) to a file that’s checked before the next login. I need to read the BeBook and Haiku’s API’s to understand how to do it correctly though so it will take a while.

Would it be possible to have either Haiku itself or Installer check if the network hardware in a system would require downloading firmware? It’d be nice if there’s a checkbox for installing proprietary blobs in Installer, much like how most Linux distro installers (e.g. Calamares, Ubiquity, etc.) do it. It would reduce the number of newbies who come here asking why their network adapters won’t work.

1 Like

There is already a ticket for that created recently.

2 Likes

Virtually none of the network hardware made in the last 10 years that Haiku supports (Atheros, Intel, all ethernet) requires firmware that is not bundled with Haiku already, anyway.