Haiku Depot Changelogs

In Haiku Depot there is a tab “Changelog”, but I found almost no package that has this filled. How is this currently handled? Is it something a package can provide somehow, or is this solely managed inside the Haiku Depot server software?

The latter. Same goes for icons, screenshots, translations and category. Devs that would like to have a changelog included currently need the right permissions at HDS.

Not ideal, but I doubt this is the reason few changelogs are available. Mostly I suppose it’s that few people juggle creating and updating a boatload of packages (ports) and consider hunting for a changelog not a reasonable use of their time.

People that want to provide a changelog (or other above mentioned data), but wouldn’t go so far as requesting permissions at HDS, could post to the HDS mailing list.

1 Like

Why not at least add list of package versions and release date to changelog? Empty changelog is not useful.

I think I could do, for my ports. I don’t curate so many ports, after all.

How can I add this kind of data, then?

1 Like

Very good. Post to the HDS mailing list with a quick intro. Andrew will set up your permissions at HDS when your credentials check out. :yum:

1 Like

I’m already in (i’m translating all that stuff), I just need the grants I guess :slight_smile:

Hello there;

I’m already in (i’m translating all that stuff), I just need the grants I guess

Users can be granted permissions to edit the change-log for specific packages or all packages. Administration of the system and hence setup of User authorization was passed to the Haiku System-admin team some time ago so it would be best to ask on the HDS or System-admin mailing list for those permissions.

Why not at least add list of package versions and release date to
changelog? Empty changelog is not useful.

There is a ticket to hide the changelog if there is no changelog available to show for a given package.

Otherwise it is possible to get a list of all versions of a package that HDS knows about. If you were interested in making this enhancement, I would be happy to explain to you which API to use for that purpose.

1 Like