Haiku Contract Report: September 2021 | Haiku Project

What is the native screen res? I think that hidpi screens gets rejected by app-server at the moment.

Why? I see no such logic.

App server calculates a scan frequency. If that frequency is considered out of bounds it rejects the mode. It made sense when VGA was the standard I guess.

I think it is all in here: https://github.com/haiku/haiku/blob/8f16317a5b6db5c672f331814273e5857555020f/src/servers/app/drawing/interface/local/AccelerantHWInterface.cpp

Vesa allows modesetting while UEFI framebuffer does not, and not all methods in Vesa accelerant is checking if it is vesa or framebuffer. So if you try modesetting with UEFI framebuffer it hangs trrying to call BIOS. Thats what I guessed at least last time.

3 Likes

I think that VESA and framebuffer driver should be separated. It cause less problems and eliminates dead BIOS code on EFI and non-x86 (RISC-V for example).

5 Likes

Native screen res is 2560 x 1440.

There are physical limitations (for example on HDMI and DVI links) and there are limitations reported by the display itself (on vertical and horizontal frequency; and dot clock). If you try to set a mode outside of this range, the monitor will just display an “out of range” error message and not display anything. The technology moves on and the allowed range keeps increasing, but there are still limits.

As far as I know that is the only limitation. And people have been happily using HiDPI displays with Haiku for years already.

It happens on the 3000x2000 laptop I have and what I managed to track down before.
It tries to reject the already set framebuffer mode and call BIOS to set 1024 x 768 even with no mode list.