Haiku Contract Report: November 2021 | Haiku Project

PulkoMandy has already written the activity report for this month, so now I am once again left to detail the work I have been doing thanks to the generous donations of readers like you (thank you!).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/waddlesplash/2021-12-09_haiku_contract_report_november_2021/
31 Likes

Excellent progress, piece of advice from a hot rod builder and project manager. Focus on primitive functions.

Leave the toolkits for the haikupoers crew.
Pair off any superfluous work

Define core needs.

Keep it up

2 Likes

Very nice improvements. In regards to your findings around X11, do you have any thoughts about Wine? It currently uses X11 on Linux (although Collabora are porting it to Wayland).

Great work, donation well spent to your work!
Is there a way for TK to use with Python right now?

Good to see you make yourself comfortable by improving the developer point of view. In the end we common user will benefit from a nice developer friendly Operation System.

I still use Haiku on my USB-Sticks and wonder if it would be much more responsive/snappier if installed on SSD or disk-drive directly?

Augustine, thanks for your detailed report - we, readers, are really appriciate your style and read happily until the last words :slight_smile:
Me myself also red the comments in commits as well, however with explanations those commits are more understandable.

For some WebBrowser using a disk cache this clearly makes a difference.

1 Like

I didn’t test it, but it should work.

1 Like

WOW, amazing work! The progress is very demanded.

I second this, as wine tied to X11 has always been a blocking point against any port efforts.
wine itself would bring thousands of new software applications in a glance (including games, whom usually catch attention from lots of users)!

X11 is not required to port wine, and our wine porting effort is not even close to that.

edit: boxedwine can be used now and works

It’s not required, but replacing all of the X11 code is a significant hurdle from what I understand. This step could now potentially be skipped.

Boxedwine emulates an x86 CPU and has very limited support for 3D. Perhaps this will change in the future however.

Thanks for the report waddlesplash. It’s very detailed and I like it.

2 Likes

The last bootable version on my computer is x86-64 hrev 55697. The next version 55706 no longer boots nor does any later version. The symptoms are all icons freeze as well as the keyboard. Happy New Year.

Please fill a bug report with syslog and more info

2 Likes
  1. I need improve multiuser accounts system
  2. need arm port (on raspberry pi zero)
  3. improve working without gui
1 Like

Considering Haiku’s focus as a desktop operating system, this seems equivalent to abandoning that core purpose entirely.

8 Likes
  1. You mean for user vs root separation?
  2. Why?
  3. Why?
1 Like

Hi,

Would you be so kind to explain how do you mean
desktop operating system in case Haiku
as I got it sometimes when I came up with new featues / ideas regarding Haiku.

Meanwhile Haiku slowly became multiplatform OS and I read people in community : they would install it on tablet / phone, or other ARM devices (R. PI) , PPC Mac machines, workstation grade machines and as I know Pulkomandy got donations to port Haiku onto PA-Risc machines - those should be at least workstation grade machines.
So I would like to know why me and some other members get this message time-to-time when we want some virtualization and/or install Haiku on powerful HW.

Is it an excuse to the future to not expect such progress or a wishful struggling to postpone Haiku became something else that lives in you and other nostalgic BeOS users ?

I do not want to hurt you in your feelings -
I just want to understand why is it so hard to you if we want other stuff than 3d acceleration or gaming but supporting remote desktop access out-of-the-box, not only generic install but prepared for testing or developing tasks and this could be done better in virtualized environment.

Is a tablet or phone cover desktop OS ?

There are several different user would like to use Haiku : Windows/Mac/Linux/Amiga users who would like to use their familiar Windows/Mac/Linux/Amiga programs in the newly known, friendly HAIKU environment without those programs original and now hateful or abandoned OS (I mean abandoned by whom who would swift to Haiku ) environment.

I have actually more laptop computers than Desktop PCs - for example, also have an early tablet with now unsupported Android. It will be fun to probe ARM32 if it will be ready to install.
However I hated taht it needed an another machine to install OS on it.
To create / prepare a ROM installer SD.

So please let me grock what it means Desktop OS – AFTER ALL above ?

An operating system focused on desktop use, which includes extensive use of an integrated GUI in this case. Even proposals for Haiku on mobile are still heavily rooted in the idea of plugging an external display and peripherals into a phone to turn it into a desktop PC of sorts, to the point of having an almost entirely separate desktop mode just so that none of the existing UI will be compromised from the focus of desktop usage. PC or desktop in this context doesn’t only mean the form factor or the use of x86, but rather a workflow and operation mode primarily driven by the use of mouse and keyboard as input methods for personal computing. Others here might be better able to elaborate on this.

4 Likes

Oki-doki. Acknowledged. Accepted this way.